PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Starfoce

Pages : [1] 2 3

ALobpreis
01-31-06, 09:32 AM
http://www.glop.org/starforce/boycott-starforce.jpg (http://www.glop.org/starforce/)

:D

I searched the forums and only found a few posts about this and Starfoce's contest for $ 10K, but not this link, which I find very interesting.

|MaguS|
01-31-06, 09:46 AM
I fully support Starforce and hope that more developers begin to use it. Let the hate begin!

anticitizenzero
01-31-06, 10:59 AM
If starforce screws you when you wanna play your games, just use antiblaxxx or virtual cd hide

CaptNKILL
01-31-06, 11:39 AM
I personally havent had any problems with it and its not that difficult to crack anyways... though I do think its unfortunate that more of the best titles dont use it. It seems like its either the most obscure games that hardly anyone plays or the multi-billion dollar releases are using it to protect their work. The good solid releases should have protection that actually works too.

Im all for the "try before you buy" thing, but I dont feel that a petition to make it easier to pirate games is a good thing at all.

jAkUp
01-31-06, 11:53 AM
Splinter Cell CT used starforce and took a very long time for someone to crack it.

I haven't had any starforce problems outside of incompatibilities with Win64 in the past. I support it :)

Riptide
01-31-06, 11:55 AM
Speaking of this... I'm sick of having to keep the X3 Reunion disc in the drive every time I want to play the game. Does anyone know if there is a nocd crack out for patch 1.3?

No links ofcourse, a simple yes will do. :)

Lfctony
01-31-06, 11:58 AM
Nope.

CaptNKILL
01-31-06, 12:00 PM
Speaking of this... I'm sick of having to keep the X3 Reunion disc in the drive every time I want to play the game. Does anyone know if there is a nocd crack out for patch 1.3?

No links ofcourse, a simple yes will do. :)
Well there is a way to do it... but its not a simple no-cd crack.

Anyways, no more details here ;)

|MaguS|
01-31-06, 12:03 PM
Yar! for illegal activities!

CaptNKILL
01-31-06, 12:11 PM
Yar! for illegal activities!
Woohoo! :D

Rakeesh
01-31-06, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Starforce borks some setups, but for those you just download a decrypted/fixed binary, and then you can even completely remove starforce if you want to.

It seems like its either the most obscure games that hardly anyone plays or the multi-billion dollar releases are using it to protect their work.

I think it is mostly just the obscure games. I tend to notice that after a few patches, some of the bigger games will even ditch their copy protection completely.

FWIW, the only thing starforce 3 has going for it right now is the fact that it is picky about which drive it wants to read the CD from. Currently all drive emulation programs that mount a disc image emulate a scsi drive. If starforce sees an IDE drive in your system, it'll complain until it gets to read the CD from that. That is kind of a band-aid measure though, as soon enough it'll probably be easy to emulate it as IDE as well. A workaround for now though is to physically unplug your real cd-rom drive, or use cloaking software.

Or if you have a plextor burner and you just plain wanted to pirate it, you can do something much more old school: just burn a CD-r copy. Some plextor drives have an option of making the drive report to the OS that it has a cd-rom instead of a cd-r in the tray. Starforce is easily fooled by this, whereas something like securom that relies on "bad sector" burning isn't.

OWA
01-31-06, 12:43 PM
I personally havent had any problems with it and its not that difficult to crack anyways... though I do think its unfortunate that more of the best titles dont use it. It seems like its either the most obscure games that hardly anyone plays or the multi-billion dollar releases are using it to protect their work. The good solid releases should have protection that actually works too.

I don't think the later versions of starforce are that easy and even when they do find work-arounds, the procedure is usually ridiculous (that is, it's much easier to just put the CD in the drive). IMO, all that starforce does is discourage/drive away the paying customer. I like Trackmania but I just stick with the demo since I don't want to deal with the CD. Why? Because I never end up playing the games that I have to use the CD with anyway. It's wasted money. I really like X3 but I haven't touched it in a while. The first time I had to swap out the CD for something else, I put it away and now I don't bother. I really like GTR and SCCT but I never play them for the same reason.

One of the main reasons I like gaming on a PC is that I have instant access to almost every game I own. If that comes to an end, gaming on a PC is much less compelling (to me). I might as well game on consoles since it's less expensive and easier to deal with.

Anyway, I wish more would follow the lead of Id and Epic and remove the need for the CD a while after it's released.

Lil Sassy
01-31-06, 12:52 PM
I think people are misguided as to the effectiveness of Starforce. For instance, if I wanted to go snag a pirated, cracked and still patcheable copy of X3, I could go get it right now, and not have to constantly open my case door and pop in the cd (as if my PC was a hard diskless PS2 :rolleyes:). I don't steal, but I have read many posts elsewhere stating that such a copy is available.

Well, I bought mine, as I gladly do with all of my media, and refuse to use virtual drive crapware, so I get to take it straight in the ass every time I want to play.

IT DOES NOT WORK.

Riptide
01-31-06, 12:57 PM
Nope.
Bummer. :(

nekrosoft13
01-31-06, 12:59 PM
Splinter Cell CT used starforce and took a very long time for someone to crack it.

I haven't had any starforce problems outside of incompatibilities with Win64 in the past. I support it :)

CT used a really old version of Starforce, that after almost a year its not that big of a problem now, but new games comming out with starforce have newer version, which of course are allot harder to bypass

and i really don't mind starforce, it doesn't break your computer, it can only cause problems if you try to play with tools that are meant to bypass it, and you press the wrong button, and your actuall drives disapear.

and seriously boycotting won't help anything, all you gonna do is hurt pc gaming in general.

Acid Rain
01-31-06, 01:04 PM
One of the main reasons I like gaming on a PC is that I have instant access to almost every game I own. If that comes to an end, gaming on a PC is much less compelling (to me). I might as well game on consoles since it's less expensive and easier to deal with.

Anyway, I wish more would follow the lead of Id and Epic and remove the need for the CD a while after it's released.I don't think I've ever agreed as heartily as I do with your post. All the way.

It's not laziness, either.

Hell, if I had to use a cd/dvd for every game I own, my dvd burner would have been toast by now, and my case door (Thermaltake Xaser III) clip would be completely worn off though it's high quality. As it is, both are mint, because they haven't been needlessly abused thanks to no cd cracks. Additionally, I bet my game disks wouldn't be pristine anymore either.

Riptide
01-31-06, 01:05 PM
It's just an inconvenience. Also I've seen it take my machine down before. When it went to check the disc once after trying to launch X3 it just hung up and sat there. Then when I went to end task it freaked out and blue screened the machine. Only happened once though in about 1000x launching it. :)

Still I don't like having to keep the disc in there. But I understand why they are doing this. People just need to face the facts: they are sick of being stolen from. While these attempts do seem to fall flat on their face it's easy to see why they try.

Edge
01-31-06, 01:08 PM
Im all for the "try before you buy" thing, but I dont feel that a petition to make it easier to pirate games is a good thing at all.

The problem with most of these anti-piracy schemes is that they end up making things more difficult for legitimate users than pirates.

CaptNKILL
01-31-06, 01:11 PM
That is kind of a band-aid measure though, as soon enough it'll probably be easy to emulate it as IDE as well. A workaround for now though is to physically unplug your real cd-rom drive, or use cloaking software.

You dont even have to go that far. You can just go into device manager and disable the IDE channel that your CDROM drives are on. Usually doesnt even require a restart.

I dont really get why people hate starforce so much. Ive never heard of the complaints about security and drive-toasting that the petition describes. Sounds like something thats happened a few times and people who want an easy road to piracy are using it as an excuse to get rid of starforce so they dont have to spend an extra 15 minutes to CD crack a game.

CaptNKILL
01-31-06, 01:14 PM
The problem with most of these anti-piracy schemes is that they end up making things more difficult for legitimate users than pirates.
I do agree with that. Pirates have it easy. They dont have to pay, it takes a little time for the cracking procedures and then they never have to put the disk in again. They usually get better load times as well. Most of the time there isnt any online capabilities for pirated games, but still... there are quite a few advantages to cracked games as opposed to totaly legit ones. Its really too bad :(

nekrosoft13
01-31-06, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=CaptNKILL]You dont even have to go that far. You can just go into device manager and disable the IDE channel that your CDROM drives are on. Usually doesnt even require a restart.
QUOTE]

doesn't work on latest version of starforce

CaptNKILL
01-31-06, 01:20 PM
doesn't work on latest version of starforce
Hmm... what games use the latest version? Ive heard of X3:Reunion being cracked easily using this method.

But yeah, we should stop this discussion.;)

Riptide
01-31-06, 01:37 PM
The problem with most of these anti-piracy schemes is that they end up making things more difficult for legitimate users than pirates.I agree but they are going to just keep right on trying until they finally get something that can't/won't be hacked. It'll be a while yet. In the mean time we're all inconvenienced by this crap.

Rakeesh
01-31-06, 01:53 PM
Hmm... what games use the latest version? Ive heard of X3:Reunion being cracked easily using this method.

But yeah, we should stop this discussion.;)

The OS still has it marked as being there, only disabled.

I agree but they are going to just keep right on trying until they finally get something that can't/won't be hacked. It'll be a while yet.

That can't ever be done, at least not with the way computers are currently designed anyways. So long as you have the ability to modify the binary, you can conceivably make it perform or not perform whatever checks you want.

There are only two design changes that I could think of which could effectively kill off cracking. One would be if PCs were designed so that only a central authority was allowed to tell you what programs you are and aren't allowed to run via digital signing of binaries.

Another would be if all games/programs were distributed in some form of solid state medium rather than optical media. If this was done, you could integrate all kinds of ASICs into the dye that perform functions which are specific to the way the program works. If these functions were tightly integrated into the regular program flow all throughout the binary, it would be damn near impossible to crack.

Both would have their own set of potential security holes (especially the first option, since in the interest of reasonable performance, nothing stored in the memory is secured, and some kind of device could be used to tamper with the systems memory to pretty much override anything, but it would be expensive to create and very difficult to operate) but both would be highly renewable security which would tip the cat and mouse game more against the hackers rather than against the developers like it currently is.

agentkay
01-31-06, 02:20 PM
The only thing I like about Starforce is that you can completely remove it, and you can make working backup copies of your original game disc (legal is some countries), so it doesn´t wear out as fast.