PDA

View Full Version : 7800GS AGP and NForce3 Motherboards

Deeko
01-31-06, 10:41 AM
Hello all,

Im posting this thread on behalf of all the owners of the nf3 and 6800GT combo who experience the unfixable crashes/freezes. As you can see from the sticky at the top of this forum section(1475 posts and on the go for over 18 months) that this problem has nevwer been addressed or fixed by Nvidia despite numerous massive threads across the web.

The question is, does the new 7800GS Agp card that uses a bridge chip for pcie>agp work on nforce3 boards without the freezing/crashing? Or is it a case of the same horrendous problems with the 6800GT? I would like anyone who shortly will own a 7800GS Agp card who has an nforce3 chipset to please post back with their experiences with it.

I believe this is an important issue as thousands of owners were done over with the nf3/6800GT combo and I would hate to see it happen all over again with nf3/7800GS Agp. Part of the logic behind me posting this thread is the fact that an nforce3 board is one of the high end motherboards you can buy for agp and will likely be used in large numbers by potential buyers of a 7800GS.

Thanks in advance for any input.

jAkUp
01-31-06, 10:55 AM
Does the 6800GS experience these problems as well?

Tho Jo Smale
01-31-06, 11:09 AM
Does the 6800GS experience these problems as well?

Good question,

Does it?

Airbrushkid
01-31-06, 11:31 AM
Well I think thats going to be hard to answer right now. Supposely theres only 2 people that have that 7800GS AGP card and neither of them are running boards with nf3. And the release date of that card is not til Feb. 6! So you got a little while to go to see if problems do happen.

Redeemed
01-31-06, 11:31 AM
Good question,

Does it?

Not sure, as I haven't seen or heard of any complaints yet. I'd think the 7800GS would work just fine though, as it isn't based off of the NV4x core- it's derived from the G70 core. I'd think it'd work just fine.

Demanufakture
01-31-06, 12:08 PM
I have an nforce 3 still. The 8x.xx series forceware fixed the stutter/freeze problem I had with agp fastwrites with the 7x.xx series forceware. However with 8x.xx series I still have to leave agp fastwrites off so as not to get this flicker. Nvidia basically replaced the stutter with a flicker,lol. Turning off agp fastwrites in the mobo bios still completely fixes the problem for me. But, because of this I probably will get a 7800 gs so as to get rid of this bug. Im almost 100% positive that the 7800 gs won't have this problem. This bug was and always has been specific to 6800 series cards and no other card has this problem. Add that to the list of reasons why a 6800 owner should get a 7800 gs.

Tr1cK
01-31-06, 12:18 PM
Fastwrites off only help me when overclocking, which is all the time. I still get random freezes from time to time. No chipset or video driver has had any effect on it at all. I can play smooth as butter for 2 hours or get 3-4 of those freezes in the same time. I constantly monitor my temps on my 2nd monitor in game and my temps are always about the same within 1-2 degrees. I don't know wtf is doing it but it does indeed suck. How the idiots could screw it up between nf2 (which worked flawlessly for me with same components) to nf3, I have no idea.

Demanufakture
01-31-06, 12:26 PM
Fastwrites off only help me when overclocking, which is all the time. I still get random freezes from time to time. No chipset or video driver has had any effect on it at all. I can play smooth as butter for 2 hours or get 3-4 of those freezes in the same time. I constantly monitor my temps on my 2nd monitor in game and my temps are always about the same within 1-2 degrees. I don't know wtf is doing it but it does indeed suck. How the idiots could screw it up between nf2 (which worked flawlessly for me with same components) to nf3, I have no idea.
Maybe you should put your bfg 6800 gt oc at stock oc speeds like mine @370/1000Mhz. Leave agp fastwrites off and see if you still get the stutter. Just an idea because I don't get the stutter bug anymore but I also do not oc.(of course the 6800 gt oc is pre oc'd)

Tr1cK
01-31-06, 12:57 PM
To clarify, I only have the fastwrites issue when overclocking, which is all the time. At default clocks I can run all day long with fastwrites, but overclocking performance pwns fastwrite performance any day of the week.

CKTurbo128
01-31-06, 01:14 PM
For clarification, it should be noted that the GeForce 6800GS AGP uses the NV40 core (same core found in AGP GeForce 6800 LE/NU/GT/Ultra), unlike the PCI-E GeForce 6800GS, which uses a NV42 core. So if your NF3 board does not have problems with a GeForce 6800 LE/NU/GT/Ultra, then a AGP GeForce 6800GS should not have problems either, as it does not use a bridge chip at all.

As for the AGP 7800GS, I can confirm that it does use a bridge chip (G70 bridged), but I do not know if there are any NF3 issues with it, as I have only tested it on a Socket A NF2 system.

Deeko
01-31-06, 01:25 PM
The reason I started this thread is because I dont think its fair that Nvidia didnt even acknowledge the problem with the 6800/nf3 combo. I also know the 7800GS Agp is not out yet but by doing this its putting the point across to potential buyers of a 7800GS agp with an nforce3 chipset. Its also a thread that people can report any potential problems to that I would be greatly interested in, it would be scandalous if the same problem re-emerged with the 7800GS and a thread like this could disuade potential buyers from a massive headache.

j0j081
01-31-06, 10:41 PM
I only get freezes on my nf3/6800 combo when overclocked too much. the oc i have right now (400/1.1) is solid as a rock.

Tho Jo Smale
02-01-06, 12:50 AM
I'd like to verify that there is no 7800 series conflict with nF3 mobos before I shell out the cash to buy a 7800gs, that's for sure. I also have no problems with fast writes @ stock speeds, but who runs thier 6800GT at stock? Exactly, nobody on these forums. It is necessary to disable fast writes on nF3 mobo in order to overclock. Why is this? I don't know. Why hasn't nVidia fixed it? Simply because it involves, for the most part, overclocking. Does nVidia support Overclocking of thier vid cards? HELLS NO:) I really feel for poor Slug, :cry: he's had a really rough go with the fast writes issue. I hope he finds that mystical fix that so many gamers have sought after yet never found (throwpc)