PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA has been caught napping!

Pages : [1] 2 3

DSC
01-18-03, 01:09 PM
Rant

:o

Yes folks, Nvidia has been caught napping and now they're getting their..... behinds nicely bitten by ATI. :p :D

It's sad though, it seems the 3dfx mindset/culture of delay after delay has crept into Nvidia. Will this eventually leads to the death of Nvidia ala 3dfx style........ only the future can tell.... :eek: :eek:

Not to mention Cg, can't believe they're putting efforts into that instead of improving the drivers, D3D and OGL support. :(

/Rant

netviper13
01-18-03, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by DSC
Rant

:o

Yes folks, Nvidia has been caught napping and now they're getting their..... behinds nicely bitten by ATI. :p :D

It's sad though, it seems the 3dfx mindset/culture of delay after delay has crept into Nvidia. Will this eventually leads to the death of Nvidia ala 3dfx style........ only the future can tell.... :eek: :eek:

Not to mention Cg, can't believe they're putting efforts into that instead of improving the drivers, D3D and OGL support. :(

/Rant

Nvidia is nowhere close to dying off. They still have a market lead, even though it's slowly fading.

I think the big deal with the GFFX being so late was a bunch of really bad things happening within close proximity of one another. For instance, I think nVidia took on too many projects with trying to develop the X-Box GPU, the nForce chips, and a new GeForce card for PCs; also there was the whole issue with the fab having serious difficulties with .13micron yields.

Once nVidia gets the FX released, it should be relatively smooth sailing from there. Their architecture is a solid one, with plenty of room for improvement, so I would look foreward to the next release of cards after the FX.

scott123
01-18-03, 01:40 PM
When 3dfx started the downhill slide they had no where near the resources that Nvidia has. Nvidia's resources are beyond belief, and they may miss on their latest card (we shall see) but Nvidia for sure, will be back, hot and heavey for another round.

Scott

UDawg
01-18-03, 01:46 PM
This speculation by kids not knowing how business runs is making me want to climb down the evolution ladder. I see the same stupid rants over at Rage3D. Nvidia's future does not rest completely in being the top video card maker, is that their bread and butter, yes.

Any one notice Nvidia has a chipset called nForce? Nvidia is growing in the computer industry, so any wishfull thinking that they will die off because they did not make the top card or were late on a release is an idiot.

ATI was way behind Nvidia and 3DFX for a long time. They had their hand in the OEM market for a long time and then made a smart move to the top of the market with the impressive 9700pro.

I am not a fanboy of any company, although my last 3 cards have been Nvidia. If Nvidia doesnt have a card out by the time I want to upgrade then they will miss out on my money but this in no way means the end of Nvidia. So stop trolling from Rage3D and get a life, woman, dog ect. :rolleyes:

Uttar
01-18-03, 01:47 PM
nVidia nForce 2 is going well. And nVidia 2003 strategy is *very* aggressive. You're basically looking at a paper launch every 4 months:
NV31/NV34: March
NV35/nForce 2: August
NV36: no idea when exactly, but probably late 2003, might be early 2004

I'm also not sure where the NV33 fits in that lineup...

Uttar

netape
01-18-03, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Uttar
You're basically looking at a paper launch every 4 months:
NV31/NV34: March

Do you have any clue when those two will be in stores? Just curious :D

Uttar
01-18-03, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by netape
Do you have any clue when those two will be in stores? Just curious :D

Sorry, no info about it at all. But CMKRNL at B3D said:
NV31 A01 samples available now, A02 samples early February, volume production expected early March.
So I'd guess reviews early or mid March, avaibility early April.

Uttar

Myrmecophagavir
01-18-03, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by DSC
Not to mention Cg, can't believe they're putting efforts into that instead of improving the drivers, D3D and OGL support. :(Eh? I thought Nvidia were somewhat famed for having Rather Good Drivers (TM) already. What improvements do you want? And apart from that what's wrong with "putting effort" into Cg?

UDawg
01-18-03, 05:11 PM
Whoah! Having read my post now, I really whent off there ehh! :o

Steppy
01-18-03, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by UDawg71
This speculation by kids not knowing how business runs is making me want to climb down the evolution ladder. I see the same stupid rants over at Rage3D. Nvidia's future does not rest completely in being the top video card maker, is that their bread and butter, yes.

Any one notice Nvidia has a chipset called nForce? Nvidia is growing in the computer industry, so any wishfull thinking that they will die off because they did not make the top card or were late on a release is an idiot.

ATI was way behind Nvidia and 3DFX for a long time. They had their hand in the OEM market for a long time and then made a smart move to the top of the market with the impressive 9700pro.

I am not a fanboy of any company, although my last 3 cards have been Nvidia. If Nvidia doesnt have a card out by the time I want to upgrade then they will miss out on my money but this in no way means the end of Nvidia. So stop trolling from Rage3D and get a life, woman, dog ect. :rolleyes: I'd like to point out that having 1/3 share of mobo market for AMD is nothing to really be able to hang their hats on, as that is 1/3 of the 1/7th or so that AMD holds. ANd NV isn't even close to having 1/3 of the Athlon mobo market. IF they sold Intel Nforces it would have a LOT more significance. If they lose a lot of VC revenue, Nforce isn't a large enough volume product to climb them out of that hole. Losing the VC market would shrink them into the small company they once were, making them have to start over and make VC with much smaller R&D spending.

nick800
01-18-03, 09:21 PM
they had a tough time with the yeilds, but my wagers will be on the nv35 coming out on schedule...

nvidia also puts more time and effort into drivers than ATI, or any other video card company...

cg isn't a waste of time its a seemably great tool, as long as nvidia retains enough market share for it to continually be implimented and improved, which they will.

on a side note does anyone know of a free 3d studio max fur plugin? the only one I can find is the 95 dollar digimax one?

Kruno
01-18-03, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Myrmecophagavir
Eh? I thought Nvidia were somewhat famed for having Rather Good Drivers (TM) already. What improvements do you want? And apart from that what's wrong with "putting effort" into Cg?

Vsync issue in Blood 2. :/
My R300 fixed that. :)

nvidia also puts more time and effort into drivers than ATI, or any other video card company...

See above. :)
If they had placed more time/effort than the Blood 2 issue would have been fixed a long time ago. :)
So far my R300 has yet to have 1 problem.

I am not judging nVidia though they can place a little more effort into older titles and not just newer ones.

UDawg
01-18-03, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Steppy
I'd like to point out that having 1/3 share of mobo market for AMD is nothing to really be able to hang their hats on, as that is 1/3 of the 1/7th or so that AMD holds. ANd NV isn't even close to having 1/3 of the Athlon mobo market. IF they sold Intel Nforces it would have a LOT more significance. If they lose a lot of VC revenue, Nforce isn't a large enough volume product to climb them out of that hole. Losing the VC market would shrink them into the small company they once were, making them have to start over and make VC with much smaller R&D spending.

I did not say it was huge. I said it was expanding its share into the computer industry. It is also about positioning. Just because they are late does not mean they are loosing share. Look at Nvidias value compared to ATI. Even though they are second in the performance crown they are still number one in the video card industry. Their product line is simply bigger with more vendors.

nutball
01-19-03, 02:24 AM
Whoah! Having read my post now, I really whent off there ehh! :o

Actually I rather agreed with you! To be honest I've heard these sorts of opinions from a lot of people, and I'm sure they're not all trolls! There's a hell of a lot of people out there who have very little clue what they're talking about, and how the real world works!

Liddypool
01-19-03, 01:21 PM
Their product line is simply bigger with more vendors.

ATI has Gigabyte, Hercules, Crucial, Visiontek and others. nVidia is in SERIOUS trouble.

UDawg
01-19-03, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Liddypool
ATI has Gigabyte, Hercules, Crucial, Visiontek and others. nVidia is in SERIOUS trouble.

Visioinstek? Didn't they restructure? Would you care to make another point?

Liddypool
01-19-03, 01:44 PM
Visioinstek? Didn't they restructure? Would you care to make another point?
Who cares if they restructured? They're ATI now and they have good name recognition for the average person.

Myrmecophagavir
01-19-03, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Liddypool
ATI has Gigabyte, Hercules, Crucial, Visiontek and others. nVidia is in SERIOUS trouble. ATI's partner list is here (http://www.ati.com/support/partner/list.html) and Nvidia's is here (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/view.asp?PAGE=systembuilders). Personally I see many more names I recognise as "big" on Nvidia's side, but both seem reasonably healthy to me.

Steppy
01-20-03, 06:33 AM
ATI has only been partnering with others for a little over a year...and has only had the perf. crown for 5 months. If you look at it as a static point in time, right now they both look healthy and NV looks good. If you look at it from a "momentum" point of view ATI looks to be coming on strong and NV seems to be fading. If things stay the way they are now for the next year, things will look mighty different.

Richthofen
01-20-03, 07:26 AM
"
Who cares if they restructured? They're ATI now and they have good name recognition for the average person.
"

Well the average person in first place buys a video card with a certain chip on it.
After he made that decision he decides from which company he will buy the board.
And you can have the best product and the best brand recognition it won't help you if you don't have the contracts.
That is the basis on which the system nvidia built up years ago works.
Visiontek is a good example. They had no money anymore and went out of business.
A lot of people left this company and founded BFG technologies of course with help from Nvidia.
All big contracts visiontek had with Comp USA and so on which made them big are gone and do you know wich company has them now?
yeah its BFG.

Visiontek now starts from 0 level.
All they have is the brand name and a company wich took them over sitting in the background and investing money but that's it.
But you know if i want to buy a Nvidia based card and i liked visiontek cards in the past i will now buy a pny or bfg or any other nvidia based card.

ATI has a market share and nvidia has a certain market share.
This market share does not change because a manufacturer leaves one and joins the other one.
It's all about control in the market. If a manufacturer does not do what you want or runs out of money drop him - that's it.

vampireuk
01-20-03, 07:30 AM
Ok lets make a nice point here.....where be the Ati motherboards?:p :angel:

Liddypool
01-20-03, 07:32 AM
More partners equals more sales.

Liddypool
01-20-03, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by vampireuk
Ok lets make a nice point here.....where be the Ati motherboards?:p :angel: \

Frankly who gives a ****? There is no money to be made in the AMD market to begin with and look how Nforce and XBox etc. has brought nVidia to it's knees.

vampireuk
01-20-03, 07:35 AM
I care, obviously so do many many others who love the Nforce2 chipset.

Steppy
01-20-03, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Richthofen
"
"

Well the average person in first place buys a video card with a certain chip on it.
After he made that decision he decides from which company he will buy the board.
And you can have the best product and the best brand recognition it won't help you if you don't have the contracts.
That is the basis on which the system nvidia built up years ago works.
Visiontek is a good example. They had no money anymore and went out of business.
A lot of people left this company and founded BFG technologies of course with help from Nvidia.
All big contracts visiontek had with Comp USA and so on which made them big are gone and do you know wich company has them now?
yeah its BFG.

Visiontek now starts from 0 level.
All they have is the brand name and a company wich took them over sitting in the background and investing money but that's it.
But you know if i want to buy a Nvidia based card and i liked visiontek cards in the past i will now buy a pny or bfg or any other nvidia based card.

ATI has a market share and nvidia has a certain market share.
This market share does not change because a manufacturer leaves one and joins the other one.
It's all about control in the market. If a manufacturer does not do what you want or runs out of money drop him - that's it. 95% of people buying VC's most likely have no idea that visiontek "restructured", so for most people they don't start back at 0.