View Full Version : PNY 7800GS AGP review at Guru 3d

Pages : [1] 2

Silver6933
02-02-06, 08:59 AM
Cool card, see review

http://www.guru3d.com/article/videocard/319/1

mikechai
02-02-06, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the link. Looks like NDA expires today.

One more from TR.
http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/geforce-7800gs/index.x?pg=1

[H]
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=OTYx

JamesDax
02-02-06, 09:46 AM
Sweet review. Now if I could only find $300 lying around. lol

Demigod
02-02-06, 09:46 AM
Looks a good card. Not worth me getting one over my 6800gs (16p 6vs 405/1120) for my agp system though. I run it on a tv at 800*600 and 1024*768 and the cpu is the bottleneck.

I would agree with guru that a 20 pipe card would have been better as a last splash as it were.

mikechai
02-02-06, 09:47 AM
I agree with what [H] and guru3d said, NV purposely crippled the card by opening only 16 pipes & 8 ROPs with a not so attractive price tag, left a bad taste in my mouth indeed.

I think NV doesn't intend to sell a lot of these cards, otherwise they would have make it 20 pipes or price it $100 less.

bkswaney
02-02-06, 12:57 PM
I agree with what [H] and guru3d said, NV purposely crippled the card by opening only 16 pipes & 8 ROPs with a not so attractive price tag, left a bad taste in my mouth indeed.

I think NV doesn't intend to sell a lot of these cards, otherwise they would have make it 20 pipes or price it $100 less.

Agreed. :(

Nutty
02-02-06, 01:47 PM
8 ROPS ? I thought 6800 GT + Ultra had 16 ROPS ?

I'd have considered it if there was a bit more power in it. As it stands seems pointless shelling out all that money for 10 extra frames.. They shoulda done 20 pipes minimum.

jAkUp
02-02-06, 03:10 PM
http://www.evga.com/articles/276.asp

460/1.35GHz on the Superclock version. Should push some more bandwith.

K-1
02-02-06, 03:35 PM
Hw do they manage to get such high clocks from the memory? Is it different from the memory in a 7800GT somehow? Very impressive! The GS still doesn't compare very well to the GT though, nice review from anandtech http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2686&p=1

coldpower27
02-02-06, 03:41 PM
Hw do they manage to get such high clocks from the memory? Is it different from the memory in a 7800GT somehow? Very impressive! The GS still doesn't compare very well to the GT though, nice review from anandtech http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2686&p=1

At 375/1200 obviously not, it only has 75% of the 7800 GT Texel Fillrate and 46.8% of the 7800 GT output Pixel Fillrate.

Typically I would expect the 7800 GS to offer 75% of the performance of a Nvdia reference stock 7800 GT at best case.

And yes the memory used on this card is of minimum 1.6ns in order to meet Nvidia's reference design clock.

It is still more powerful and less power hungry then the 6800 Ultra, even with the HSI.

YOGIx213
02-02-06, 03:44 PM
I think the GS is great but not enough to justify an upgrade from my 6800 Ultra. Definitely worthwhile though for those with lesser cards who are stuck with a 9800 pro or a 6600 gt. I think in my case it would be wise just to sell the Ultra and finally make the move up to PCIe.

shabby
02-02-06, 05:35 PM

I was wondering why the numbers for the 7800 were so low, and then i spotted that they cut the rops in half... what is this a 6600gt? Give me a break, i aint paying 350 bucks for a 7800 thats neutered this badly. They just lost my business.

Nv40
02-02-06, 05:39 PM
I believe that the thousands of request made online for and AGp version for Geforce7 wasnt for this . I really doubt any Geforce6800gt/ultra agp user will pay a few hundreds for another 5-10fps in the resolutions their monitors can play.I think the industry made a mistake by moving to PCI-E so soon. There are so many people stuck with AGP cards ,and it not because of not having the cash to buy a faster one.. but because is too much to ask ,for a new motherboard,a new CPU,and drop their precious and expensive 1-2gb of ram ,an entire computer just for a stupid video card.

THe only good thing about this ,is that gamers will tire of this nonsense on the PC's ,(that is so fragmented and cannot progress without breaking compatibility with older hardware),about how expensive is to be a PCgamer ,and will move to an Xbox360 and PS3. perhaps the people that were predicting the dead of the PC gaming might be right after all.

Richteralan
02-02-06, 05:44 PM
I believe that the thousands of request made online for and AGp version for Geforce7 wasnt for this . I really doubt any Geforce6800gt/ultra user another for 5-10fps. I think the industry made a mistake by moving to PCI-E so soon. There are so many people stuck with AGP cards ,and it not because of not having the cash to buy a faster one.. but because is too much to ask ,for a new motherboard,a new CPU,and drop their precious 1-2gb of ram ,to an entire computer just for a video card.

THe only good thing about this ,is that gamers will tire of this nonsense on the PC's ,(that cannot progress without breaking compatibility with older hardware),how expensive is to be updated ,and will move to Xbox360 and PS3. perhaps the people that were predicting the dead of the PC gaming might be right after all.

I don't think the transition speed from AGP to PCIe is too fast.

snowmanwithahat
02-02-06, 06:00 PM
I believe that the thousands of request made online for and AGp version for Geforce7 wasnt for this . I really doubt any Geforce6800gt/ultra agp user will pay a few hundreds for another 5-10fps in the resolutions their monitors can play.I think the industry made a mistake by moving to PCI-E so soon. There are so many people stuck with AGP cards ,and it not because of not having the cash to buy a faster one.. but because is too much to ask ,for a new motherboard,a new CPU,and drop their precious and expensive 1-2gb of ram ,an entire computer just for a stupid video card.

THe only good thing about this ,is that gamers will tire of this nonsense on the PC's ,(that is so fragmented and cannot progress without breaking compatibility with older hardware),about how expensive is to be a PCgamer ,and will move to an Xbox360 and PS3. perhaps the people that were predicting the dead of the PC gaming might be right after all.

exactly, it's a great card, and truly is the best AGP card out now, but i don't have the money to buy it, (well i do) but i don't in the sense that it's just flat out not worth it for me to upgrade, it's a great idea, but i believe they may have waited too long and not have given it enough power, a 7800 GT for AGP would have really been great though

watever
02-02-06, 06:16 PM

Maybe nvidia planned to release this card so that people with a 6800 gt or ultra will look at it and decide to go pci-e instead of paying $350 for another 5-10 fps. Going pci-e will mostly likely mean we will buy a nforce4 chip along with a card. There is really no benefit goin to pci-e aside from dual card support. The industry made the change so we fork out more money to them.

Arioch
02-02-06, 06:30 PM
http://www.evga.com/articles/276.asp

460/1.35GHz on the Superclock version. Should push some more bandwith.

Now that card would interests me some as an upgrade from my 6800 Ultra until I put a new PC together at the end of the year. Since I am saddled with a socket 940 (FX-53) system at the moment that may be my best option to tide me over until then.

I bet I could sell my 6800 Ultra to someone here for $100 or so to offset some of the cost.

JamesDax
02-02-06, 06:34 PM
Maybe nvidia planned to release this card so that people with a 6800 gt or ultra will look at it and decide to go pci-e instead of paying $350 for another 5-10 fps. Going pci-e will mostly likely mean we will buy a nforce4 chip along with a card. There is really no benefit goin to pci-e aside from dual card support. The industry made the change so we fork out more money to them.

This card wasn't made for 6800GT/Ultra users. There are plenty of folk out there that will find this to be a great upgrade.

Nv40
02-02-06, 06:37 PM
I don't think the transition speed from AGP to PCIe is too fast.

THe issue is not the transition ,but breaking incompatibility with older hardware. And this doesnt help in any way the PC gaming industry. TRansitions like Sm2.0/3.0/4.0 ,WinXP,WIndowsVIsta ,DV9,BLURay ,HDDVD doesnt hurt because they are compatible with older technology. But this is not the case with PCI-e . I suspect many of the new technology (cpu/videocards,memory)*that breaks* incompatibility with older technology are done on purpose ,just to force people to buy their newer products. PCIe is now ,in 2 or 3 years wait for more breaking news.. perhaps PCIe2? THere is no reason for future technology to break compatibility with older products.
except financial ones.

We have here one example with the 7800GS. DOwngraded ,crippled ,not because is not possible to design a 16/24pipes in AGP, but this was merely made for financials reasons. I never understood why every new family of CPU from INtel or AMd have a new socket conector ,because technological speaking ,there is no reason. everything is possible with technology.it is possible to design for 10- years faster cpus using the same conectors.All they need is to design new tecnology with hardware compatibility in mind. IT can be done..MOtherboard makers,cpu makers ,chipsetmakers,memory makers do the same .for financial reasons is good for their business to break incompatibility ,because this force people to upgrade their PCs and buy their newer products. Surely no one is the business to lose money ,Ask SAmsung that was cough recently in a conspiration to inflate the industry memory prices, but if you go to far ,in the end people will get tired of upgrading so frequently and will move to somewhere else.This is not my case.. i use COmputers for more than gaming .But i dont see how the PCgaming industry will be able to compete with next gen console industry.

AthlonXP1800
02-02-06, 07:39 PM
I am really surprised to see the 7800 GS fan is on the HSI chip, not the 7800 GS chip, it interesting to see a shim on the back of the card to keep the core cool, guess the HSI chip are very very hot than the 7800 GS chip.

Thank god I put new replacement BFG Geforce 6800 GT OC card on ebay 3 days ago and hope to get around 180 for it next week. :D

shabby
02-02-06, 09:01 PM
I bet I could sell my 6800 Ultra to someone here for $100 or so to offset some of the cost.

I'll take that ultra off your hands for 100 bucks :)

WimpMiester
02-03-06, 12:26 AM
I rarely benchmark anything but I must say those 7800gs scores seem low to me. I'm only running an XP 3200+ with 6800GT all stock clocks and I played the BF2 demo at 1600x1200 with what ever the game auto set my settings at which I think was high details and it ran fine. If it was running around 40FPS I think I would have noticed it. But with only 16 pipes why was the 6800gs released when the 7800gs is going to be pretty much the same except for it being a newer chip. It seems to me that anyone with a 6800gt/ultra still has a faster card.

1337_Like_ThaT
02-03-06, 01:01 AM
I rarely benchmark anything but I must say those 7800gs scores seem low to me. I'm only running an XP 3200+ with 6800GT all stock clocks and I played the BF2 demo at 1600x1200 with what ever the game auto set my settings at which I think was high details and it ran fine. If it was running around 40FPS I think I would have noticed it. But with only 16 pipes why was the 6800gs released when the 7800gs is going to be pretty much the same except for it being a newer chip. It seems to me that anyone with a 6800gt/ultra still has a faster card.

^^ My 3dmark 05' score went up from 6200 w/ 6800Ultra to almost 6600 w/7800gs. And that score of 6200 from my 6800ultra was with my system overclocked so i probably would've only gotten 6k. So figure about 600 points increase isn't all that much in comparison to a 6800ultra, but still is an upgrade. The 7800gs definately is the fastest AGP card on the market out-benchmarking the x850xtpe and 6800U

OWA
02-03-06, 01:29 AM
Plus, don't you get the GAA and TAA modes?

1337_Like_ThaT
02-03-06, 01:46 AM
^^ Ya you do....