PDA

View Full Version : PC Game Pre-ordering

NrthnStar5
02-02-06, 02:51 PM
Good Day,

I want to pre-order a PC game but want to do so from a place that hopefully will be able to ship it in time for me to recieve it by the day it's to be released. Is that possible? Where is the best place for the best shipping and cost? Thanks for your help!

LiquidX
02-02-06, 04:38 PM
EBgames is the only place I have orderd from and had the game arrive on its day of release or a day early with overnight but thats not a sure thing. Gogamer.com ships super fast after getting a order and there over night rate is decent. Outpost, Amazon and Newegg also has good rates.

DenverBuc
02-02-06, 04:57 PM
This has never happened in my experience, so I stopped preordering games altogether. Not even from places like the EA Store when it was an EA game! Kept getting so frustrated that I swore to never do it again. Games have gotten a lot better at getting enough copies to stores on release day that even popular ones like Half Life 2 weren't an issue for me.

I do make one exception now, though - if the game can be preordered from a download site like the new EA downloader for BF2 or from Steam for Half Life, etc. That seems to be OK and I can get it the SECOND it is available instead of waiting till normally the next day for retailers to have it.

Roliath
02-02-06, 05:01 PM
Why not just pre-order it from a local game store, like gamestop or something like that?

Aphot
02-02-06, 05:30 PM
I pre-order locally and pick it up when they phone me, which is usually the release date.

NrthnStar5
02-02-06, 05:54 PM
Ah, True, I guess i could pre-order it at my local ebgames store. I want to request the new Everquest II Expansion pack and on the last expansion, i had a really hard time finding it the day of release in the stores, and i want to make sure this time I don't have such a problem. i'll give them a call then.

crainger
02-03-06, 03:28 AM
All I do i walk right into the local EB and ask to pre order the game or games and all they ask is a $10 deposit for each title. They then call the day before its released so i can collect it the next day. Or even after 5pm the day before ;) ;). Ofcourse the local Walmart always breaks release and I get it a few more days early.
My next visit is for Oblivion and whatever the next The Sims 2 expansion is.

Blade
02-03-06, 03:44 AM
Here in the UK i use Gameplay.co.uk & ALLWAYS get releases in the mail the DAY BEFORE they are due out, bloody superb service, used em for the last 5 years.

ynnek
02-03-06, 11:22 AM
I too occasionally preorder games at my local gamestore too.. Its just so convenient.

I'm 100% against downloaders and Steam and stuff.. But I'm not going to get into that here.. :)

J-Mag
02-03-06, 11:32 AM
I'm 100% against downloaders and Steam and stuff.. But I'm not going to get into that here.. :)

Why? I think it is great kicking out the middleman. EA, Vivendi, etc are the problem. They force their timeilines on developers which cause features to be dropped, early buggy releases, and increased cost to the end user. Screw the distributors!

ynnek
02-03-06, 11:51 AM
Why? I think it is great kicking out the middleman. EA, Vivendi, etc are the problem. They force their timeilines on developers which cause features to be dropped, early buggy releases, and increased cost to the end user. Screw the distributors!

That part is nice..

However, the copy protection methods to implement them are usually not.. Most require some sort of active authentication/authorization mechanism, when you install the game, and some everytime time when you play the game.

Yea, most of the time it works without a hitch and all is well.. But its the principle of it.. You never really own the game, since you always have to ask for permission to at least install, or play the game. If they went out of business or something, you wouldn't be able to play the game.

Also, this opens the door of security issues.. You now have this layer, that has to contact the outside net for information... and most of them will download code and update your apps for you. Thats just begging to be hacked and taken advantage of.

At least with SF, the authorization "key" is in your hands (its the physical CD itself). No need to contact outsiders for permission.. Unless of course SF doesn't work. heh. But thats why I view SF as the lesser of two evils. barely!