PDA

View Full Version : What other reasons for artifacts other than over-heating?

saumilsingh
02-02-06, 07:47 PM
My 6600gt agp has recently been showing small green artifacts in some parts of the display. This happens in most games but it happens only sometimes, not always.

I checked the temperatures and it's not over-heating (50-55C max).
Also I keep my pc cabinet open at all times, so it can't be a ventilation problem.

I know the temps drop by a good 5-6 degrees as soon as I minimize but here's the kicker - As soon as I minimize then restore the game, the artifacting stops completely. No artifacts anymore even if I play for hours and hours at a stretch.

What else can it be if not the heat?
Can it be my generic 300W psu? Can psu's even cause such artifacting at all?

PS - The card isn't overclocked and running at 500/1000 (yep, not even factory OC speeds). Using 81.85 whql.

theslug
02-02-06, 08:37 PM
Yes a weak PSU can cause an issue like that. I'm not saying that's the only cause though, because I've had rare but similar issues with two different popular name-brand PSUs. Any idea how many amps the +12V line on your PSU does? If you can find the specs somewhere it should say.

AthlonXP1800
02-02-06, 09:08 PM
Hmmm that interesting, I just had artifacts once yesterday after rebooted PC and saw green artifacts on the logo boot screen and the BIOS screen then I quicked power down the PC and waited 1 min then power up the PC, the artifacts were gone. I suspected it was the 7800 GTX overheated but it wasnt after checked the temp at normal level. The last time I had same artifacts was back in August 2005 after power on the new PC system I build then it was gone after I restarted the PC after saw the artifacts on the screen.

After theslug talked about weaker PSU, I realised it was my new Antec TruePower II 550W PSU caused it because it was slient with only 1 fan, it never get very hot, I can touched my hand on the back of the PSU compared to previous Antec Truepower 430W PSU with dual fans, it was very very hot nearly burned my finger when I touched the back of the PSU. I prefer slient PSU. :)

saumilsingh
02-02-06, 09:31 PM
The specs sticker on my psu says it's capable of 14A on the +12V rail, but the mobo shows it doing only 11.7V. Even my +5V rail is doing only 4.6V.
I was aware of such low ratings but never worried about it because I had zero stability issues.

But seriously, is this what could be causing the artifacts? And why do they go away completely simply by minimizng then restoring the game?

Infinity666
02-02-06, 09:40 PM
could be a bad (vertex shader)?

cvearl
02-03-06, 02:43 PM
Maybe not your cause... But I learned some time ago in my video card overclocking days that even moderate overclocking over a long period with a video card that sees a few hours a night of gaming can slowly cause failure of either the chip or ram modules.

Damage does not all happen at once. And not to all components. Artifacting can come from the GPU or the RAM.

Chips can handle certain temps for sure. And may appear to work perfectly for months or even a year. But heat takes it toll slowly. If say a RAM module gets even just a little damage over time and then you start seeing the artifacts in "some games" or whatever and then de-clocking will no longer help. The artifacts in many cases are from permanent damage to the chips and result from errors in the data bits going into and out of them resulting in errors in rendering.

Not always the case. But one possible cause. Presonally I have put a few "previously overclocked" 9700 Pro's that still work fine in desktop in peoples computers because they don't play games anyway. But they were previously overclocked for a year or so and thier gaming days are now over. Hahahaha.

C.

saumilsingh
02-03-06, 04:01 PM
But my card was never overclocked. Infact I never even ran it at the factory OC speeds of 525/1050. Always 500/1000 ever since I got it in Jan 2005.

I tried downclocking to 400/900 and the artifacting still happens and it still gets solved completely by a simple instant minimize/restore.
Doesn't matter even if I game for 3 hours after a minimize/restore, the artifacting never returns.

Maybe my ****ty psu can't handle the initial load, and minimizing/restoring gives it a much needed fresher? Sorta like air conditioners when the compressor kicks in.

cvearl
02-04-06, 12:54 AM
But my card was never overclocked. Infact I never even ran it at the factory OC speeds of 525/1050. Always 500/1000 ever since I got it in Jan 2005.

I tried downclocking to 400/900 and the artifacting still happens and it still gets solved completely by a simple instant minimize/restore.
Doesn't matter even if I game for 3 hours after a minimize/restore, the artifacting never returns.

Maybe my ****ty psu can't handle the initial load, and minimizing/restoring gives it a much needed fresher? Sorta like air conditioners when the compressor kicks in.

OK loopy suggestion here...

If PSU is suspected...

If you have 2 hard drives. Unplug one completely. 2 Opticals? Unplug one or both if you can game without it. Extra case fans? Unplug 1 if you are running 3 or whatever. Whatever minimum pwr cfg you can come up with and try that?

Just grabbing at straws here.

C.