PDA

View Full Version : screen refresh

bjlockie
02-02-06, 08:20 PM
When I select 'Hide modes that this monitor cannot display', it only lets me choose 60 Hertz for the 'Screen refresh rate'.
The specs for the monitor say it can do 75Hz.

Samsung said "This is not related to your monitor but mostly to your video card and the drivers you are using for it.".

I have a GeForce 6600 and I want to use 1280x1024@32bit@75Hz.

OWA
02-02-06, 08:27 PM
If you're sure, tell it not to hide the modes and try selecting 75. Does it correctly identify your monitor or just call it by some default name (default monitor)? You may want to try installing the monitor's INF file if there isn't one.

bjlockie
02-02-06, 09:59 PM
If you're sure, tell it not to hide the modes and try selecting 75. Does it correctly identify your monitor or just call it by some default name (default monitor)? You may want to try installing the monitor's INF file if there isn't one.

It says "SyncMaster 740T/740B on NVIDIA GeForce 6600".
Is it the monitor's INF file (provided by Samsung) or the NVIDIA drivers?
What is telling Windows what modes to hide?

OWA
02-02-06, 10:10 PM
Normally, if it recognizes your monitor's name correctly, it should have the correct modes. The INF file should be provided by Samsung. It's usually on the CD. Older CRT monitors usually need them. Newer ones (LCDs) usually don't. Normally, using a DVI connection you don't need one. Are you using DVI or the analog connection?

With the Samsungs I have at work (19" LCDs), if I use the analog connection I can select up to 72 (or maybe it was 75) for the refresh rate. I can't recall if I have to turn of the "hide mode" or not. If I use the DVI connection, I only get 60. Hmm, do I have that backwards? :) I'll double-check tomorrow.

BTW, why do you want a higher refresh rate than 60 with a LCD?

bjlockie
02-03-06, 05:09 PM
I'm using a DVI cable.
Wha tells the OS what the max screen refresh is that the monitor can use?

I want to try the available screen refreshes and see if I notice a difference.

I have also heard that under 70Hz and there is an unoticeable flicker that strains eyes.
That may just be a rumour.

Regardless if I will change screen refreshes, I want to know if it is Samsung's INF file or NVIDIA's driver that controls 'Hide modes that this monitor cannot display'.

OWA
02-03-06, 06:18 PM
You won't notice a difference in terms of flicker. The refresh rate deal is only valid for CRTs. With LCDs most all of them just use 60hz. Some do provide a refresh rate in the 70s although I'm not sure why that is since LCDs don't flicker.

IIRC, when using a DVI cable, the monitor usually passes along what modes it supports. Also, when using DVI, you also frequently lose control over a lot of settings. For example, on my Dell 24" LCD, if I use the analog connection, there are all sorts of adjustments I can make to the screen/picture using the monitor controls and it also does things like auto-adjust to make the picture fit, etc. With DVI, all the needed info is relayed to the system so most of that is unnecessary. There isn't any need to auto-adjust, the text never goes outside of the screen borders. With DVI, you frequently end up just being able to control the brightness and contrast. But, with DVI you get a sharper, crisper, more vivid picture and text is much sharper.

Basically, with analog connections you can sometimes choose modes that aren't valid or that your display isn't supposed to support but sometimes it will still work (usually not very well though). DVI protects you from a lot of that and you get a better picture with it. You still might be able to add some sort of custom settings though (through the resolution and refresh rate menu and choose something other than what the DVI mode shows as valid. I'm not sure though since I've never tried that.

There are probably some others here that can explain all this much better since I didn't start using LCDs exclusively until not that long ago. I might not have everything completely correct in my explanations except for the part of not needing to worry about the refresh rate with LCDs. 60 is fine since they don't flicker. With CRTs, you really want to use 85 if you can (with 72 as the min). 60hz on a CRT is indeed bad for your eyes.

herojig
06-15-06, 11:51 PM
There are probably some others here that can explain all this much better since I didn't start using LCDs exclusively until not that long ago. I might not have everything completely correct in my explanations except for the part of not needing to worry about the refresh rate with LCDs. 60 is fine since they don't flicker. With CRTs, you really want to use 85 if you can (with 72 as the min). 60hz on a CRT is indeed bad for your eyes.

Hi, I have a new samsung 540n that flickers! what to do. I keep reading that they don't, but I think they do. it is noticabley higher flicker at 60 vs 75, which is the max for this monitor. suggestions?

ps. I have a geforce 6600 le, with a samsung 720b as primary monitor 1 and the 540n is monitor 2. i have tried all configs (ie. just having the 540n as primary, tried both ports out, etc. i have tried the new beta driver from nvidia and one level back, with the same results. thanks!
jigs in nepal