PDA

View Full Version : It's official: XBOX360 is gonna pwn Oblivion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Zelda_fan
02-03-06, 12:14 AM
This article makes me so glad I'm buying an XBOX360:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/t/theelderscrollsIVoblivion/20060118-livinginoblivion.htm

lol listen to some of these quotes:

Xbox.com: Why was Xbox 360 the obvious choice of platform for Oblivion?

Howard: Our familiarity with the tools, the hardware, what we wanted to do ... it's just a great match. It's one of those situations where we knew the people involved and we were able to talk to them very early on with "I have some crazy ideas" type pitches, and they told us their crazy ideas, and they matched up, from the graphics to the memory to Xbox Live Marketplace. We wanted to render full forests, we wanted an extra fast thread to calculate NPCs throughout the world, we wanted to do lots of downloadable content. In terms of memory, we really wanted 512MB as well, and that was something that Microsoft eventually did, so in the end, we end up with the perfect platform for the game we wanted to create.

Xbox.com: Anything you'll be able to do with the game on Xbox 360 that just wouldn't be possible anywhere else?

Howard: Hmmm, I guess it's more about the fact that we can do it all and not really have to cut corners. So for instance, in the PC version, depending on your PC, there's a part of it you won't be seeing in all its glory, but on the Xbox 360, you get it all. Please, everyone, buy an HD set ... just please.

Xbox.com: Touching on something you mentioned before, just how much more glorious an adventure can owners expect from the title than their PC-loving counterparts?

Howard: Again, it depends on their setup. If they have the absolute latest PC with a video card that is fully shader model 3.0 compatible and a giant HD monitor, they're about the same. The question is, can they get all of that for $399? And does it let them play Geometry Wars? That game rules.

can I get a *holla* for the 360?

retsam
02-03-06, 12:20 AM
but does the xbox 360 have a keyboard and mouse...i hate controllers for fps's

Q
02-03-06, 12:20 AM
Well, at least they said that those who can support it will have all of the eye-candy available. Its a lot better than not even offering it, ala Most Wanted.

ynnek
02-03-06, 12:31 AM
PC's were never the cheap route.. Consoles will always be cheaper..

But the cycle continue again, and the PC's will improve to the point that the XBox360 looks kinda old.

PeterJensen
02-03-06, 12:35 AM
Heheh i love Geometry Wars :D

CaptNKILL
02-03-06, 12:38 AM
Still sticking with my PC version here :)

An HD TV and an X360 with a hard drive would cost my twice what I plan on paying for a video card and motherboard upgrade. I dont think I even need the upgrade really, I just want the best experience possible on my PC.

BTW, why isnt this in the console forum other than for an "IN YOUR FACE XBOX HATERS!!!!!" type post ;)

evilchris
02-03-06, 12:39 AM
but does the xbox 360 have a keyboard and mouse...i hate controllers for fps's

Oblivion, while the players view is indeed first person, is no "fps". It isn't a twitch game. The gamepad worked great for Morrowind I expect the same from Oblivion.

Zelda_fan
02-03-06, 12:47 AM
Still sticking with my PC version here :)

An HD TV and an X360 with a hard drive would cost my twice what I plan on paying for a video card and motherboard upgrade. I dont think I even need the upgrade really, I just want the best experience possible on my PC.

BTW, why isnt this in the console forum other than for an "IN YOUR FACE XBOX HATERS!!!!!" type post ;)

Instead of buying an new HDTV, you could just buy a VGA cable for $39 and play it on your monitor.

this isn't a flame topic, this is merely a topic to help people who are on the fench about which version of Oblivoin is going to be better for them. For me it is the 360.

CaptNKILL
02-03-06, 12:55 AM
Instead of buying an new HDTV, you could just buy a VGA cable for $39 and play it on your monitor.

this isn't a flame topic, this is merely a topic to help people who are on the fench about which version of Oblivoin is going to be better for them. For me it is the 360.
Fair enough :)

Heh, believe me, im not totaly counting it out. If the X360 runs the game at perfect framerates (45+ constant) with amazing details and great playability and no major flaws or irritations, and my PC at the time cant compete, I may have to get an X360.

ynnek
02-03-06, 01:04 AM

Heh, believe me, im not totaly counting it out. If the X360 runs the game at perfect framerates (45+ constant) with amazing details and great playability and no major flaws or irritations, and my PC at the time cant compete, I may have to get an X360.

Ditto.. I may get a 360 or PS3...

but you know what? after a year or two, I always go back to PC games.. Cause PC graphics always catch up and surpass the consoles to the point that consoles look painfully outdated.

thats why I,and a few of us,are kinda hesitant on getting another consoles.. we have tons of consoles that are just collecting dust and kinda regret spending the money on.

if keyboards and mouse are available for consoles.. and suddenly opens up the door for more complex depth games.. and fps and mmorpg's... who knows. that might be enough to drive another nail into PC gaming...

OWA
02-03-06, 01:10 AM
Heh, I was a little worried by the title but if they stick to what they said in the 2nd quote and don't eliminate options on the PC, I'll be happy. Even if it doesn't run at an optimal framerate, I want the choice to run it at settings that bring my PCs to their knees.

Zelda_fan
02-03-06, 01:12 AM

Bro, I was in the same boat as you a week ago. I was a hardcore Elder Scrolls PC purist, and would rationalize the hell out of how much better the PC version is.

Here is what won me over.

Pros:
-the min specs came out and I realized my rig was shi0t
-XBOX360 is only $399 compared to $2000 of upgrading my rig
-the XBOX360 will run the game at a perfect framerate
-the XBOX360 will run the game at the highest detail
-with the XBOX360 you'll never have to worry about temporary stuttering
-with the XBOX360 you'll never have to worry about crashing
-force feedback with Oblivion's new combat system is gonna be sweet
-XBOX360 is a good investment gaming wise
-all mods by Bethesda will be available via XBOXlive
-most likely, user created mods can be played via the Hard Drive

Cons:
-no toolset
-no mouse and keyboard
...chirp..

nutcrackr
02-03-06, 01:13 AM
I'm sure they are going to say how the xbox 360 version is inferior in an Xbox.com interview :rolleyes:

Zelda_fan
02-03-06, 01:15 AM
I'm sure they are going to say how the xbox 360 version is inferior in an Xbox.com interview :rolleyes:

yeah but it isn't like they made this **** up, Todd howard, the lead designer on Oblivion is saying this. I'd wager he knows what he is talking about.

CaptNKILL
02-03-06, 01:27 AM
Ditto.. I may get a 360 or PS3...

but you know what? after a year or two, I always go back to PC games.. Cause PC graphics always catch up and surpass the consoles to the point that consoles look painfully outdated.

thats why I,and a few of us,are kinda hesitant on getting another consoles.. we have tons of consoles that are just collecting dust and kinda regret spending the money on.

if keyboards and mouse are available for consoles.. and suddenly opens up the door for more complex depth games.. and fps and mmorpg's... who knows. that might be enough to drive another nail into PC gaming...
Yeah I wanted a Playstation for YEARS but I didnt get one until christmas of 97 (or 98? I cant remember). It was pretty cool at the time, but I just couldnt get into most of the games, I got irritated or bored with them quickly. What I really wanted was my own PC but they were so expensive I didnt even think about it.

Well, within 5 months I had my own Gateway with a 400Mhz Pentium 2 (cost around $1800 too :o ). The console just didnt hold my interest at all with games. Ever since, I havent looked back. I realize the PS was already outdated by the time I bought it, but still it left an impression on me. If I get a bunch of money and decide to go crazy, I'll grab an X360. But for now, my PC and my pricey upgrading hobby seem like a lot more fun.

EDIT: Also, for what its worth. That same gateway PC is still running to this day, as are all of the components (minus the mouse) and my sister has made over $10,000 on ebay using it. Add to that the amount I learned from starting with that PC and the $$$ Ive made with that knowledge, and its payed for itself a dozen times over. Gaming was just a bonus :p

CaptNKILL
02-03-06, 02:08 AM
Bro, I was in the same boat as you a week ago. I was a hardcore Elder Scrolls PC purist, and would rationalize the hell out of how much better the PC version is.

Here is what won me over.

Pros:
-the min specs came out and I realized my rig was shi0t
-XBOX360 is only $399 compared to $2000 of upgrading my rig
-the XBOX360 will run the game at a perfect framerate
-the XBOX360 will run the game at the highest detail
-with the XBOX360 you'll never have to worry about temporary stuttering
-with the XBOX360 you'll never have to worry about crashing
-force feedback with Oblivion's new combat system is gonna be sweet
-XBOX360 is a good investment gaming wise
-all mods by Bethesda will be available via XBOXlive
-most likely, user created mods can be played via the Hard Drive

Cons:
-no toolset
-no mouse and keyboard
...chirp..
Well, the performance\stuttering\stability points we cant be sure of until the game finally comes out and we get some hands-on reviews, but I agree on the other points. Its worth noting though that while those are all good Pros, only 2 of them are clear advantages over the PC. The price of the console vs. upgrades (which is debatable for many people) and the force feedback controller support.

The PC will deffinitely have user created mod support, most likely far beyond that of the XBox. Mostly because if they are anything like Morrowind's, 90% of them require the addition of many game files and textures, and some require slight .ini file modification. Theres no way a console will let you edit file structures or .ini files, the main reason being that the game is on a read-only disk. So if the game supports user mods at all on the xbox, itl be very limited. Dont forget, you also have to pay for a Live! account to get them.

And obviously, a PC is a good investment. For gaming, or whatever else you want to do. The faster it is, the better.

With performance and graphics, it ties into the price (obviously). If anyone that has done any PC gaming in the last 2 years plunks down $450 (this is about how much you'll pay for xbox360+hard drive package and an adapter to use a PC monitor) for an upgrade, they can improve their current system enough to have good specs (6800GS, 3000+ A64, nforce 4 board and 1gb of ram), then sell their old parts to make a good chunk of the money back. And if messing with your PC (in any way) is too much of an inconvenience, then tack on $350-$1000 to the Xbox price for an HDTV. Also, with a PC you can always get the performance and image quality you want for a price. If it turns out that the Xbox 360 DOESNT run the game perfectly, thats all there is to it. You have to settle.

Im not saying the Xbox's Pros arent there, but they arent as clear-cut as they seem.

evilchris
02-03-06, 02:17 AM

You'll play more games on a console then you will a given video card. Say you play X360 games for a mere 2 years before you're sick of it. $399 in hardware for TWO YEARS of gaming. Try that with a PC.

evilchris
02-03-06, 02:18 AM
Anyone buy Morrowind on day one release for the PC? I did. Crash to desktop was a RAMPANT bug for A YEAR. Consoles don't have these problems.

CaptNKILL
02-03-06, 02:28 AM
Anyone buy Morrowind on day one release for the PC? I did. Crash to desktop was a RAMPANT bug for A YEAR. Consoles don't have these problems.
I had it preordered, so yeah I had it from before day 1. I had some crashing but it was never really that bad for me. The game got updates and patches and with a little modding its now twice the game it used to be.
And I have seen plenty of console games crash. Not like PC crashes, but on consoles its almost always a permanent problem, or its related to disks that have been scuffed a little and cause the game to freeze because it couldnt read fast enough. I know, it isnt a software thing like on a PC, but saying consoles simply dont have crashing problems is far from the truth.

msxyz
02-03-06, 02:39 AM
If you want the Construction Set and thousands of high quality user mods, then the Xbox is out of question. MODs are what kept alive Morrowind for three years thus this point alone outwieght (at least for me) the still valid pros about a console that Zelda_fan pointed out.

Plus, I'm still wondering why they cut dynamic object shadows out of the PC version. It would not have been the first time that a developer releases a game that cannot run well even on high end systems. If they did this, it was only to honor some Microsoft rule that forced them to make the PC version of the game every bit as good as the XBox 360 port.

CaptNKILL
02-03-06, 03:16 AM
Plus, I'm still wondering why they cut dynamic object shadows out of the PC version. It would not have been the first time that a developer releases a game that cannot run well even on high end systems. If they did this, it was only to honor some Microsoft rule that forced them to make the PC version of the game every bit as good as the XBox 360 port.
Its possible, but most likely it was just way too much for current PCs and they didnt have enough time to make it scalable, so they just cut it out completely and replaced it with something more practical. In fact, thats basically what the developers have said about the issue :p

Superfly
02-03-06, 04:48 AM
already removed this from my games of interest list - im sure the 360 version wil be great, however im not buying a 360 anytime soon.

TBH the 360 is a better hardware platform than probably 90% of the PC's out there today so its no surprise that the 360 version has more bells and whistles.

I dont do (cut down) so id rather skip it completely or play the 360 version. in a year or so when PC hardware has surpassed the new consoles this situation should start to reverse itself like it always does.

agentkay
02-03-06, 06:03 AM
Im sure the game will play just fine maxed out at 1024x768 on my grandma rig. Plus I used a ti4200 until last year, so Im used to low framerates and dont mind them. PC version here for sure!

Fighting Spirit
02-03-06, 06:58 AM
Xbox 360 version for me with a nice HDTV ;)
Just hope it will run nice..doesent matter what they say I think the game will crawl on some place..just you wait and see 360 lovers hehe

Of course it will look and play much better on a high end rig but thats another story these consolist wont take :D

nekrosoft13
02-03-06, 07:16 AM

to bad is limited to 720p, yeah i know it has 1080i, i don't care about interlaced.