PDA

View Full Version : HL2 Stutter Problem.... again!

Peoples-Agent
02-05-06, 03:16 PM
Hi folks,

I recently reinstalled Half Life 2 after upgrading to SLI but have noticed that stuttering I never use to get is now annoying the hell outta me.

Slight pauses here and there, seem to be relating to sound in someway.

Seems like one of the more recent updates may have brought it about.

What can I do to tackle it ?

Tried the following in an autoexec.cfg but to no avail so far.

mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware 0
cl_smooth 0
cl_forcepreload 1
sv_forcepreload 1
fps_max 70
snd_mixahead 0.7

Enabling or disabling these options don't help any whatsoever.

I'm using the 81.98 drivers and the built in SLI profile.

At a complete loss here, I wanted to revisit the great game after all these months but I simply can't tolerate this blasted stutter here and there. It's quite miniscule but it ruins the stupidly high fluency in frame rates I get ala SLI.

:-(

When were the last updates? ...anyone else have similar problems since them?

I never had this problem previously on my old rig with a 6800GT, it's almost as if the stutter occurs relating to certain sounds being played perhaps.

Any help much appreciated, not getting much help from Valve or the Steam peeps.

- D -

BioHazZarD
02-05-06, 04:44 PM
Who can tolerate the stutter ? no one really i stopped playing the game cause i could not like you handle the stupid thing..

Dunno if there will ever be a fix for this.

Superfly
02-05-06, 06:01 PM
play a different game - sadly its not something you can fix yourself.

Peoples-Agent
02-06-06, 04:29 AM
Yeah, starting to suspect asmuch. :-(

Going to give this a go later ...http://www.jong.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/hl2/index.htm

The Maldo fix as it's known, failing that... I give up.

PaiN
02-06-06, 06:38 AM
I had stuttering\sound problems with HL2 when I had 2 78GT's. I did two things that helped out...first, for some reason the in-game Vsync was enabled, make sure its disabled. Second, I don't know what you use for sound, but what made the biggest difference for HL2 playability and stability was installing the CL Beta OpenAL drivers for my Audugy2 ZS

grey_1
02-06-06, 12:09 PM
What I don't understand is that while hl2 stutters like crazy on me, the 2 sp mods- Combine destiny & Ravenholm - didn't. CD had a game crash on certain levels, but ravenholm was smooth as can be, quite long too. Seems anything based off of source should have the same problems, apparently not.

Rakeesh
02-06-06, 12:23 PM
It is going to depend on the size of the game libraries and the size of the maps that accompany whatever source game you are playing. Multiplayer mods/maps generally have a footprint that is very small compared to that of singleplayer in the interest of saving on server side latency, thus you'll see stuttering less on those.

saturnotaku
02-06-06, 12:42 PM
Going to give this a go later ...http://www.jong.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/hl2/index.htm

While I haven't been able to give it an extensive run-through, this fix seemed to help me. I use a Logitech USB headset and onboard Realtek AC-97 audio (with latest drivers) so there aren't software things I can do for my audio hardware. Only problem with this fix is that you have to run the configuration script every time you load up the game.

grey_1
02-07-06, 05:26 AM
It is going to depend on the size of the game libraries and the size of the maps that accompany whatever source game you are playing. Multiplayer mods/maps generally have a footprint that is very small compared to that of singleplayer in the interest of saving on server side latency, thus you'll see stuttering less on those.
Thanks, I didn't know that. Learned something new today:)

Rakeesh
02-07-06, 11:36 AM
Yeah, starting to suspect asmuch. :-(

The Maldo fix as it's known, failing that... I give up.

Whats sad is that this is something that valve could have easily built into the source engine. E.g. in the form of a checkbox "precache all sound content" or something similar, with a note that it requires more memory or something.

Instead you have to go through all of that mess.

Mudcrutch
02-07-06, 12:18 PM
i dont have stutter.. but i do get a stutter when the game autosaves..

you can check this -- when you get a stutter, open up the console (~) right away and see if the game autosaved. even with autosaves disabled (sv_autosave 0 or something like that) it still autosaves occassionally. there is a way to stop all autosaves (read only permissions in the autosave folder) but i forget the exact specifics.

so i guess i *do* have a stutter but i always compared it to the autoload/saves in Halo -- except in Halo they give you an onscreen message that it is happening so you dont think it is stutter.

Peoples-Agent
02-09-06, 08:51 PM
Well, some good news.... seems they are proactively trying to tackle this stutter issue again.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=403258

Rakeesh
02-10-06, 03:31 AM
Hmm...g-man still stutters a little here.

smallSHEEP
02-11-06, 03:03 AM
Well If they Expect me to sheel out for Aftermath (Episode 1?) then they better have this sound stutter well and truely sorted. I hope they don't expect me to use the tried and tested fix for Valve's software:

steamapps/hlepisode1/hlep1.exe -nosound

FearMeAll
02-11-06, 09:35 AM
the new beta update fixed a lot for me. I'm pleased that they are finally acknowledging and working on it. They fix the stutter and I think HL2 engine is great.
To be honest as crazy as this sounds I don't get a stutter in Vampire Bloodlines. Yes the game runs badly in the city but not so bad for me any more after my upgrade. But events and stuff don't cause a sound stutter in that game.
I don't know I like all the advantages of all kinds of different engines. I kinda think HL2 engine is just great for RPGs especially if they code it properly just because of the facial animations. They are the best.

Peoples-Agent
02-11-06, 09:57 AM
Awesome stuff, that new Friends beta did he trick here too.

So much potential in this Engine.

Peoples-Agent
02-11-06, 09:58 AM
That mat_forcedtextureintohardware 1 thing now works greatly.
Working a charm!

smallSHEEP
02-18-06, 08:33 PM
Well the steam beta makes things a lot better (approx 75%) but it still hasn't cleared the problem entirely. I appreciate that valve are looking to tackle the issue but it seems there is still some work to be done. They have really dragged their heels on this one and it's good to see they are finally making it something to focus on.

saturnotaku
02-22-06, 05:39 AM
Just downloaded the beta client, and the stuttering is significantly reduced. Employing the fix linked on the previous page I'd say eliminates about 90-95% of it. I loaded up a new game a there are a couple areas in the very beginning where I could get it to stutter and didn't notice any at all.

Keep this thread updated with news regarding the new Steam client.

saturnotaku
02-22-06, 05:42 AM
you can check this -- when you get a stutter, open up the console (~) right away and see if the game autosaved. even with autosaves disabled (sv_autosave 0 or something like that) it still autosaves occassionally. there is a way to stop all autosaves (read only permissions in the autosave folder) but i forget the exact specifics.

If you want to disable autosave, refer to this guide:

http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_10.html