PDA

View Full Version : GeForce FX fan cleaning

Phyre
01-19-03, 10:31 PM
From the pictures posted on the front of the nV News page, it looks like you could just unscrew the blower off of the card, blow it off (or dustbuster it for you silly people ;)), and rescrew the blower back on. Doesn't look to difficult.

Phyre

scott123
01-20-03, 08:52 AM
What it looks like it the chip has some SERIOUS heat problems. I don't think Nvidia would come up with a cooling setup like that, or personally handle the first batch of full production, if cooling was not a major concern. Something is wrong if you ask me.

Scott

lagadu
01-20-03, 10:14 AM
but remember that there's probably thermal paste between the chips and the dustbuster, and it'll have to be cleaned and re-applied when removing the dustbuster for cleaning....

thcdru2k
01-20-03, 01:10 PM
not much use talking about this till it actually comes out if it ever does :(

noko
01-20-03, 07:43 PM
I would install a free flowing Chrome car air filter on the back of my computer so that I wouldn't have to take apart my computer often :p.

scott123
01-20-03, 09:29 PM
:eek:

Well I just pre-ordered from Bestbuy. I have until March 9th to cancel, so I guess I have nothing to loose, Cmon Nvidia, lets get going!!!!!!

MrNasty
01-21-03, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by scott123
:eek:

Well I just pre-ordered from Bestbuy. I have until March 9th to cancel, so I guess I have nothing to loose, Cmon Nvidia, lets get going!!!!!!

Fool.

jAkUp
01-21-03, 06:54 PM
i would wait for some reviews to pick out a brand or something...

scott123
01-21-03, 11:27 PM
Guess, you guys don't get it. Reviews will be a plenty, and they don't actually charge your card until they ship. If it sucks I cancel, if its awsome I keep. I have nothing to loose.....:afro:

jAkUp
01-21-03, 11:36 PM
ya i guess :D

zakelwe
01-22-03, 02:54 AM
If I get a FX then I'll probably remove the default heatsink and use artic silver epoxy to attach something like a Sk6 or Cak 2 mid range copper heatsink with delta 7000 rpm fan. I've got 4 case fans in the case so I don't need to use nvidia's solution to get rid of the heat out of the case. I will probably lose 2 or 3 PCI slots though ( but I do not use any as I have nforce2 )

All video card heatsinks are poor in comparision to cpu ones. They just don't have enough mass and, more importantly, air flow.

What's the airflow in cfm for the standard dustbuster anyhow ? Anyone seen the spec ?

Regards

Andy

Smokey
01-22-03, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by zakelwe
If I get a FX then I'll probably remove the default heatsink and use artic silver epoxy to attach something like a Sk6 or Cak 2 mid range copper heatsink with delta 7000 rpm fan. I've got 4 case fans in the case so I don't need to use nvidia's solution to get rid of the heat out of the case. I will probably lose 2 or 3 PCI slots though ( but I do not use any as I have nforce2 )

All video card heatsinks are poor in comparision to cpu ones. They just don't have enough mass and, more importantly, air flow.

What's the airflow in cfm for the standard dustbuster anyhow ? Anyone seen the spec ?

Regards

Andy

GL, a cpu heatsink and fan weigh a bit too much IMO to be sticking on a videocard ? The stock fan is breathing clean air and blowing out dirty air, whats wrong with that?

noko
01-22-03, 05:18 PM
The stock fan is breathing clean air and blowing out dirty air,. . .

Dirty air:confused: where does the dirt come from? ;) Actually your not to far from the truth, dirty air goes in, dirt collects on fins, air comes out cleaner :D.

Smokey
01-25-03, 07:34 PM
Just looking at the new pics also, people seem to forget that this cooling is for both the GPU and the memory. Now it has been stated that DDRII does run hot, so hot that it cannot yet be used in notebooks. Anyone who ever had a GF2Ultra, will also remember that they ran hot as hell ;)

BladeRunner
01-26-03, 06:10 PM
Seems to be the general trend though, (if you ignore the "beta when released" original Geforce), the top GF4 ran hottest of the range core wise at least. The Radeon 9700 runs hot core, (partly due to a less than ideal heatsink contact solution), and the ram & spreader plate ran so hot in my, (admitidly fanless, but still cool 24C case), system that it wouldn't complete 3d mk without a desk fan pointed at the card.

I want silence anyhow so have resigned myself to water-cooling the vga cards completely, but it's almost pleasing to me seeing there is becoming real reason to have more extreme cooling solutions.

AGP64
01-27-03, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by netdude
Still conjecture ;) We won't know until it comes out how it overclocks. All of my GF cards have overclocked well.

From anandtech:

An interesting phenomenon we discovered while attempting to overclock the GeForce FX was that when the card got too hot (courtesy of our overclock), it automatically throttled itself down to its 2D speed (300/600MHz) and reduced the fan speed accordingly in the middle of a game. We're not exactly big fans of this method of protection, since it would make more sense to reduce the clock speed to its 3D default setting and not the significantly slower 2D clocks.

from tomshardware

Despite this complex cooling solution, the card becomes quite hot during operation. While testing the card in an open environment (i.e., outside of a PC case), the heatsink on the back of the card reached over 68 Celsius/ 154.4 Farenheit. In a closed PC case, the temperature should increase even more.

from Extremetech
Despite running over 100 million transistors on 0.15-micron process, ATI is still able to use a fairly standard thermal solution on its Radeon 9700 Pro GPU. With Flow FX however, the card's massive fan has two speeds, idle and take-off. When you fire up any 3D app that pings either Direct3D or OpenGL, the Flow FX fan guns its motor up to full speed to cope with the increased thermal output coming from the GPU as a result of the more intense workload. However, Flow FX's throttling appears to be no more sophisticated than:

IF 3D app running, THEN fan at full throttle
ELSE run fan at idle speed.

The fan isn't really throttled per se, as that would suggest some kind of analog control to regulate fan speed. Rather, it's digitally switched between idle and full-open, so when it changes to high speed, the change is very abrupt. Interstingly, it does wind down more gracefully when returning to the idle speed once you exit the 3D app and things in the GPU core begin to cool down a bit. In fact, it kind of sounds like that creepy noise in The Matrix when Neo gets extracted from the Matrix for the first time. The first time I realized what the fan sounded like, I did a very Keanu-like "Whoa."

We did some sound pressure level measurements of the Flow FX system while we were testing. We put a Radio Shack decibel meter on a tripod and positioned the meter's microphone in the same position: approximately where your left ear would be when sitting in front of your monitor.

We used C-weighting for this measurement, which like A-weighting, emphasizes the range of human hearing (20Hz 20KHz) but C-weighting has an attenuated high end. The C-curve is "flat," but with limited bandwidth, with -3 dB corners of 31.5 Hz and 8 kHz, respectively. [Source: Rane Pro Audio Reference

Here's what we found:

Radeon 9700 Pro's baseline sound level was about 54dB SPL (sound pressure level). When we fired up a 3D app, there was no change in the sound level. It remained at 54dB SPL.

The GeForceFX is a different story, however. Its baseline sound level was also around 54dB SPL, but upon starting up a 3D app, the Flow FX fan kicked into high gear, and the sound level rose to around 58dB SPL. Recall that decibels are on a logarithmic scale, so this 4dB increase represents more than a twofold increase in the sound level of the overall fan noise output of the test machine we used.

Admittedly, noise level doesn't top the list of considerations for anyone buying a GeForceFX, but a 2X increase in overall fan noise level is pretty serious. If you've already got enough fans getting air in and out of your CPU case to power a wind farm, then the GeForceFX will be right at home in your rig.

:angel: