PDA

View Full Version : Battle for Middle-earth II Demo Coming Thursday

Pages : [1] 2

SH64
02-08-06, 06:34 AM
Its gonna be 1.3Gb!!!! :eek:
Electronic Arts revealed today that once again war is upon us. This coming Thursday at 9am PST EA will release a demo for The Battle for Middle-Earth 2 demo. The massive 1.3GB demo will allow you to play as either the Goblins or Dwarves and feature a tutorial and single-player skirmish mode on two maps.
http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=31740&mode=thread&order=0

superklye
02-08-06, 08:10 AM
well i'm glad it's got single player skirmish, unlike the crappy beta. And hopefully they've fixed the AI since the beta so this isn't quite as enfuriating as that was...

SH64
02-09-06, 12:35 PM
Demo's out!
http://www.worthdownloading.com/download.php?gid=1504&id=6622

Edge
02-09-06, 01:04 PM
Such huge demos nowadays. 1.3 gigs...yeesh, that's 2-3 times larger than most of the full games I own.

BTW, this demo is on Yahoo Games, so get it from there since they usually have insane speeds:
http://videogames.yahoo.com/predownload?eid=435989

OWA
02-09-06, 06:26 PM
I started trying to download it a few different times but the links were slow and it's so huge I would have been downloading all night. Maybe I'll give the yahoo link a shot. Thanks for passing it along.

Blackcat
02-09-06, 06:37 PM
I went to this site http://www.ausgamers.com/ and am using their bittorrent link. It is very fast, over 200kb/s, twice as fast as the other servers I tried.

superklye
02-09-06, 06:49 PM
So no one's gotten it and actually played yet, huh?

Assuming I get out of work before 10pm tonight (and subsequently, home before 11pm), I'll download it and give it a whirl, I guess. It can't be any worse than that beta! Right?

...right?

stncttr908
02-09-06, 07:17 PM
I just played and it was decent. I was pissed that it didn't support 1280x1024 natively, but I figured it out.

If you go to %Windows Drive%\Documents and Settings\%Your Username%\Application Data\My Battle for Middle-earth(tm) II Demo Files\ and edit Options.ini you can change the res. Just make sure you set your settings first, since it will reset your res if you go back to the options menu.

superklye
02-09-06, 07:43 PM
I just played and it was decent. I was pissed that it didn't support 1280x1024 natively, but I figured it out.

If you go to %Windows Drive%\Documents and Settings\%Your Username%\Application Data\My Battle for Middle-earth(tm) II Demo Files\ and edit Options.ini you can change the res. Just make sure you set your settings first, since it will reset your res if you go back to the options menu.
Good man, thanks. :) :thumbsup:

I recall having to do the same thing in the original game, too.

Do you get full tech trees for the Dwarves and Goblins, or is each side limited? For 1.3GB, we BETTER get full tech trees...

GamerGuyX
02-09-06, 07:49 PM
Do you get full tech trees for the Dwarves and Goblins, or is each side limited? For 1.3GB, we BETTER get full tech trees...

Both the Dwarven and Goblin sides are fully featured in the demo. Not a thing you aren't allowed to use.

OWA
02-09-06, 09:42 PM
Woo hoo, just 3 more hours for my download to complete. :thumbdwn:

SH64
02-09-06, 09:47 PM
Woo hoo, just 3 more hours for my download to complete. :thumbdwn:

& just 106 hours for my download to complete :D

OWA
02-09-06, 09:58 PM
Ha, guess I shouldn't be complaining. :)

GamerGuyX
02-09-06, 10:31 PM
Ha, guess I shouldn't be complaining. :)

Took me like half an hour to download the demo with my FilePlanet subscription. :D

Mr_LoL
02-09-06, 10:35 PM

Geez why dont you get broadband?

OWA
02-09-06, 11:26 PM
My download got reset and of course, I wasn't using a download manager so I have to start over. Grrrr...

Took me like half an hour to download the demo with my FilePlanet subscription. :D
Yeah, I've come close to paying a few times. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet.

stncttr908
02-10-06, 12:31 AM
The day I pay for demos is a sad day.

jAkUp
02-10-06, 12:58 AM
FIleplanet account here too. With FIOS I really need one, nowhere else do I get close to the 1.8mb a second.

Plus, its cheap, the cost of 1 game gets you a whole year of downloads at uncapped speeds and no waiting.

CaptNKILL
02-10-06, 01:14 AM
FIleplanet account here too. With FIOS I really need one, nowhere else do I get close to the 1.8mb a second.

Plus, its cheap, the cost of 1 game gets you a whole year of downloads at uncapped speeds and no waiting.
Heh, when you put it that way it sounds a lot better. If I notice a few things I want from FP I might have to get myself a year's subscription. Its too bad they dont have their really old archived stuff though. I remember going there and digging out all the old stuff from ftp.cdrom.com. Anyone remember that site? They had everything for all the great games from 95-99. Patches, demos, maps, modding tools, mods... thats one site I deffinitely miss when I dig out an old game and need to download something extra for it.

BioHazZarD
02-10-06, 01:29 AM
A friend of mine once had a FP subscription and i got worse speeds there then on Gamershell with all their free servers and this is with 10mbit.

superklye
02-10-06, 10:17 AM
It took like 2-3 hours to download with my FP subscription last night, but I and my roommate both had torrents going, so I assume that's why.

WimpMiester
02-11-06, 06:49 PM
When I try to load the game I get D3Dx9_27.dll not found. I've installed the Dec 2005 update when I installed 3DMark06. Is it different from the one on Microsofts DX download site?

OWA
02-11-06, 07:36 PM
I'll let you know how it goes for me in about 2 hours and 13 minutes. Yep, still trying to get a complete download.

Mr Six
02-11-06, 10:09 PM
For NOD32 users if there are any :

If you experience your CPU reaching 100 % and your PC hang or become slow while trying to download the demo it's because there seem to be some kind of bug with NOD32 AMON module real time scanning engine and the file (i know that it sound weird but it's true).Just go in setup - exclusion and just add the demo file.It should fix it.

superklye
02-12-06, 10:56 AM
I finally had a chance to play for a little bit last night and I have to say, it's MUCH better than that POS beta. The AI is better (though still kinda dumb at some points), the grraphics look stunning and the shadows are fixed.

Besides that...it's FUN. I'm glad EA got (most of) their **** together and all that. I'll be buying this for sure now. :)