PDA

View Full Version : troubles with win98se and nvaudio

darkshadow
01-20-03, 12:23 AM
I just bought a new "Asus A7N8X deluxe" motherboard and I am haveing trouble playing audio in winblows since it seams to jump a couple seconds all the time. I have tested mplayer and winamp and they both are the same. I have done a fresh install of windows and have noticed that since I upgraded motherboard/ram/cpu from a7v133/128mb/1ghz to a7n8x/512/2600 the time it takes to boot win98 went from 5 seconds to 40.

I also have Linux on the machine and audio works fine basically my dreams came true it boots faster runs faster onboard lan and audio work awesome and all I had to do was boot it up install the nforce drivers and recompile my glx extensions (don't know why but it was required) and I had my previous install working awesome

SavagePaladin
01-23-03, 02:34 AM
They have an installer issue on 98se with the 2.0s. Make sure it all installed right is about all I can say.

They're releasing a new pack soon, I believe.

darkshadow
01-23-03, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the info. Luckily I have got the computer running smoothly except for the extremely long boot up time and the fact that the nvaudio control panel willn't save the line-in as the default sound source for my recordings and I have to manually change it every bootup.

the problem was that I forgot to install the serial ata driver

Harnagel
01-23-03, 03:47 AM
What RAM configuration are you using? I know a QA tester at nvidia and I think he mentioned a problem like that(the long boot time) when you have 2 sticks of RAM of different sizes or maybe it was when all 3 were filled, not quite sure.

Anyways i remember him mentioning the long boot time effect. Try putting in two of the same type of DIMMs or just put one in, if that doesn't work I can ask next time I see him.

darkshadow
01-23-03, 12:06 PM
I have 1 stick of ram it is 512mb PC2700 DDR

Harnagel
01-23-03, 01:38 PM
OK well there goes that idea. I'll probably see my friend this weekend, so if you're still having problems at that time I'll ask. Sorry I couldn't help more.

PS - oh yeah the internet...I just sent him an e-mail. I'll get back to you if he comes up with anything.

darkshadow
01-23-03, 02:16 PM
thanks

Harnagel
01-24-03, 12:31 PM
I talked with him and he said the problems he was having was when all 3 DIMMs were installed it took a really long time to boot and then everything was OK once the OS loaded. Try moving your DIMM into different slots and see if that has any effect. Also if you can get the exact maker and model of the DIMM you are using he can validate it so we know whether it is that problem or not. It should be written on the chips.

darkshadow
01-24-03, 01:08 PM
I tried moving my ram between all 3 slots and nothing changed for bootup time.

Here is what I know about the ram

Micron 512MB PC2700 DDR 333mhz CAS2.5

SavagePaladin
01-24-03, 09:11 PM
Oh hey this is win98se. I don't think 98se handles over 256 megs gracefully. I don't even know if it handles over 128 gracefully.

Maybe thats unrelated, but I've never had 98se have less than 40 second boot times...and I've always had over 128.

CaptNKILL
01-24-03, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
Oh hey this is win98se. I don't think 98se handles over 256 megs gracefully. I don't even know if it handles over 128 gracefully.

Maybe thats unrelated, but I've never had 98se have less than 40 second boot times...and I've always had over 128.

Actually, Windows 98 ONLY has problems with over 512Mbs. Ive got 512Mbs of PC-2700 and my computer is working great (finally!).

BTW, in regards to this problem its probably the integrated NIC (network card). You know, when the network adapter isn't detecting a connection or is having driver troubles, it takes forever to load. Im sure most of you have had that problem at one point or another, it usually happens when the NIC drivers either arent isntalled, or arent installed correctly. Or maybe your Network options arent configured properly. Im not saying this is the only cause of the problem, its just a likely one because thats about how long (almost exactly 40 seconds) it takes to boot any comp ive had this "issue" with. Just check your network drivers or network setup.

SavagePaladin
01-24-03, 09:22 PM
I didn't say 'problems' necessarily...not noticable ones anyway.

darkshadow
01-25-03, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the info CaptNKILL that fixed it nicely.

I just disabled both nic's since I don't really use them in Winblows (Win only for video capture) and the computer's boot time went from 40 seconds down to 4 seconds.

Harnagel
01-25-03, 07:56 PM
Sweet, good call CaptNKILL. Yeah after talking the RAM problem was alot more severe than 40 sec, it wold take 3 or more min to boots sometimes.

CaptNKILL
01-26-03, 12:50 AM
Wow. I was right?

heh, I must really need a break from computers if I can pick out an answer like that....... yeeesh

;)

Anyway, glad it worked out for you. If you do need to use the NICs sometime, just reinstall their drivers and make sure your network properties are set up correctly. I dont know what part of networking causes this, I just know that after installing drivers and changing setups 47 times, it will eventually work ;)

Harnagel
01-26-03, 12:52 PM
If he wasn't using the his network connections then the OS was most likely taking a long time to look for DNS servers on bootup and eventually timing out. I don't think Win98 can adjust network settings on the fly like XP can so it has to happen during the boot process.