PDA

View Full Version : Anybody that has switch to a True two 16x PCIe MB

john19055
02-08-06, 12:07 PM
Have you seen any difference in performance from going from two 8x PCIe in SLI to two 16x PCIe in SLI ,from the reviews I have seen there is'nt much difference except for when running games with SLIAA ,you seem to get a little gain.

FraGTastiK
02-08-06, 12:29 PM
I just recently switched to SLI x16 but cannot really comment about performance in games as of yet(current games that is).I need more time to bench some games and see for myself (had this new mobo about two days now)but overall my first impression is that this new board surpasses my old A8N SLI Deluxe in every aspect I've encountered with during these two days wich merely involved setting up,CPU Overclocking,initiating SLI...

The quality of this board leaves my old A8N SLI deluxe in the dust...that eight phase CPU power design is actually working and not a gimmick.

Personally I did not buy A8N32SLI expecting higher performance in current games but for how this board has improved compared to A8NSLI Deluxe overall but as nVIDIA states you would see higher performance in future games wich put a higher stress on PCIe bandwidth,prolly gonna need 7900 or G80 too .Well if that happens I would be even more satisfied with this board.

I think if you are completely satisfied with your SLI mainboard wait until you see that upgrading to SLI x16 has become a must for Hardcore gaming and when that happens maybe nVIDIA has a new SLI mainboard chipset, who knows.

But if you are not completely satisfied with your SLI mainboard (Like the way I felt about A8N SLI Deluxe) or if someone is a first time SLI mainboard buyer then SLI x16 mainboard is the correct choice IMO.

EDIT: Feel free to quote or attach any A8N32 benchmark graphs or numbers... I read Hardware reviews and I've seen'em all before and DFI RULEZ I know. :D

sabersix1
02-08-06, 05:10 PM
Dual x16 Boards are required to run the Nvidia Quad-SLI Graphics cards seen here:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/SaberSix/specs_2.jpg

As far as I know, the only motherboards that have the NForce4-SLIx16 Chipsets For AMD are the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe and MSI K8N-Diamond Plus.
The NForce4-SLIx16 for Intel are the ASUS P5N32-SLI and the Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Quad Royal.

Like "FraGTastic" I happen to think that ASUS has the best as they have incorperated the 8-Phase Power Design for the CPU. And the OverClocking Features are Sweet.

ViN86
02-08-06, 06:37 PM
unless youre planning on running quadSLi i wouldnt recommend one. from reviews i have read it seems that they managed to get two x16 connections by cutting back some on the bandwidth between the cpu and memory, and they took a hit in some departments. only benefits seem to be at high resolutions and lots of eye candy.

john19055
02-08-06, 08:50 PM
All the reviews I have seen show that it overclocks very well,the only thing that the asus A8N32SLI looks better in, is the 8-phase power design ,the MSI Diamond Plus has better features in the BIOS and has a better sound card build in so that you really don't need to add a sound card.But as far as the full two 16x PCIe slots there really is not much difference from a 8x except in high resolition with high FSAA and I guess that where the extra band width would come in handy,but if you already have a good SLI board then this sure would,nt be a upgrade ,but if you don't have one yet and you are a overclocker like I am, then I think the MSI diamond plus would be the best to go with IMO just for the better sound card and the two 16x PCIe slots in SLI,and everthing under the sun to overclock and set in the bios.
(UPDATE)
Well I got the MSI K8N Diamond Plus and there is no improvements makeing it worth getting this board or any High dollar SLI two 16x slots,my gigabyte runs just as good and infact my gigabyte board overclocks better then the MSI K8N Diamond Plus,so just save your money and get a $100 board because it works just as good if not better at least in my case.So I will be sending this thing back.