PDA

View Full Version : FWIW: New version of DX9.0c has just been released

Bottle
02-09-06, 06:04 AM
I can't find any info on fixes. Who knows, but it was released on 7th Feb?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&DisplayLang=en

rudedog
02-09-06, 07:00 AM
They also released the SDK

DirectX SDK - (February 2006)
Download page (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=edb98ffa-a59c-4c23-9b92-ba304f188314&displaylang=en)

rflair
02-09-06, 08:34 AM
And for thoose who refuse to install ActiveX (me) you can download the redistributable for software developers here, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fff5ed7d-3446-4583-b2c9-8db1bc10b16e&DisplayLang=en

SLippe
02-09-06, 11:32 AM
Installed. Thanks.

mike2h
02-09-06, 02:22 PM
thx for heads up & link!

j0j081
02-09-06, 06:30 PM
Cool. Hopefully there will be some info on what's been changed/updated.

EverGreen
02-10-06, 11:26 AM
This version runs gorgious, less stutters and more improvements, i always happy when they released better DX versions, besides making new drivers for our vid-cards it is also important to update the DX range too.

superklye
02-10-06, 11:42 AM
And for thoose who refuse to install ActiveX (me) you can download the redistributable for software developers here, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fff5ed7d-3446-4583-b2c9-8db1bc10b16e&DisplayLang=en
Sweet...thanks. :)

Wow...this is a big'un. 49MB? Yeesh.

Demirug
02-10-06, 12:13 PM
This version runs gorgious, less stutters and more improvements, i always happy when they released better DX versions, besides making new drivers for our vid-cards it is also important to update the DX range too.

I am sorry but this is a placebo effect. The only thing that is new in this release is an additional version of Direct3DX. But your current games will not use it.

jolle
02-10-06, 12:56 PM
Yeah I failed to see any point to install this, unless it comes on the DVD with some game..
DX installs fix things, adds support to things, but I cant recall it ever improving performance on existing games..
ofcource it shouldnt hurt either, but the way I see it is if it isnt broken, dont fix it.. so when I need it, the game will ask to install it..

EverGreen
02-10-06, 04:54 PM
I am sorry but this is a placebo effect. The only thing that is new in this release is an additional version of Direct3DX. But your current games will not use it.

Well i hope that your not a placebo effect be by yourself, that this X feature have improvement with my card here is my own experience, i did do several tests with those new DX version there released and if i noticed some improvemensts i like to be honest here to say something about it.
As working for a Game developer we do many tests and do fieldwork with those new update drivers if new games will have improvement on older hardware also.
Directx is NOT only for the vid-card concept but also for another features like the HW of your Sound-card and other HW stuff around your mobo in Co-op with the Windows system.
If some improvements be there included some fixes then the solution is not placebo but a real fix for the total score on the running PC.

:D

j0j081
02-11-06, 01:49 AM
so what is that?

Demirug
02-11-06, 02:43 AM
Well i hope that your not a placebo effect be by yourself, that this X feature have improvement with my card here is my own experience, i did do several tests with those new DX version there released and if i noticed some improvemensts i like to be honest here to say something about it.

As working for a Game developer we do many tests and do fieldwork with those new update drivers if new games will have improvement on older hardware also.
Directx is NOT only for the vid-card concept but also for another features like the HW of your Sound-card and other HW stuff around your mobo in Co-op with the Windows system.
If some improvements be there included some fixes then the solution is not placebo but a real fix for the total score on the running PC.

:D

A new driver contains new code paths and this can have impact on older games, too. But every file in this new DirectX version is identical at the binary level with earlier release. There is a new D3DX version (29) in this packet but games linked against a D3DX version. Older games linked against older D3DX version and will not use this new one. In the context of D3DX every game that was build before an D3DX version was released is an old game.

The simplest way to check if the runtime is changed is DXDIAG. It will still say that you have DirectX 9.0c. If the runtime will be changed the last character will be set to Ďdí to show this change.

There is no kind of black magic in this. There are some simple rules that every DirectX developer out there should know.

Demirug
02-11-06, 02:46 AM
so what is that?

D3DX (short for Direct3D Extension) is a collection of helper functions that make the life easier. It contains texture loading from different file formats and stuff like this. If you donít develop Direct3D applications by your own you should not need to care because if a game use this functions it should add the right D3DX version to your system during the installation.

SLippe
02-11-06, 03:43 AM
Downloaded it, installed it, no problems.

SH64
02-11-06, 04:10 PM
Cool thanks for the info.

jAkUp
02-11-06, 10:15 PM
I remember the good ol days when a new DirectX version came out, somes games got huge performance increases, but often times visual abnormalies occured also.. heh.

spawn
02-12-06, 01:49 PM
I remember the good ol days when a new DirectX version came out, somes games got huge performance increases, but often times visual abnormalies occured also.. heh.

oh yes, something i know verry well too.

Q
02-12-06, 02:08 PM
It is very possible to see a performance increase with a DX install. Well, it used to be possible, whether it is now is questionable.

I remember seeing situations similiar to what Jakup was talking about. However, I remember many times that just reinstalling the same version of DX after a driver install would take care of a lot of stuttering issues. This was in the day of 3DFX and early ATI cards for myself, and I remember reading that there were many drivers/apps/whatever that would cause issues with DX files. I don't know if that's still the case today, but if I'm having severe graphics issues I wouldn't think twice about a reinstall of DX to attempt to fix the issue.

crainger
02-13-06, 01:58 AM
Its not just performance that may or may not increase. My 360 controller would not work with Price of Persia the Two Thrones until I installed the latest Direct X release (I think the Dec version). Either way I just install the version that comes on new release games for a quick update.

Blast
02-20-06, 06:54 AM
I don't undestand why Microsoft doesn't put DX updates on the Windows update site.

j0j081
02-21-06, 05:32 AM
I don't undestand why Microsoft doesn't put DX updates on the Windows update site.
they do when it's an important one. like it's already been said here, nothing useful is in this update.

Greg
02-21-06, 07:46 AM
The only reasons you may want to download this file are 1) Some demos need the latest DX and the DX installer is not included to reduce file size. 2) You are reinstalling your OS and want the latest DX from a file. Every game is supposed to automaticaly and silently install the latest DX as it simply patches in the missing files. Old games will need to install their old version as the latest DX does not include all the old dlls.

AliceCooper
02-21-06, 03:35 PM
I never used to update DX9 until I installed a game that need some DX*.DLL files that I didn't have. It appears that MS update these every 3 months so I d/l them from a website and hey presto game installed.

Now I will updateDX when a "new" version comes out.

Cheers

EverGreen
02-22-06, 04:03 AM
Welll there always peeps whom thinks they know it better than the developers...

DirectX is NOT! only for your Graphical cards Gents, never to forgot thet they bring out every day new Hardware improvements and they all in need for 100% supporting, perhaps some older hardware will run the same but it could also fixes a lot for others who had furst unwanted problems with their rigs and now they could be solved....