PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 Gamers Face Vista Upgrade!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Superfly
02-09-06, 04:46 PM
Halo fans will have to upgrade their computer if they want to follow Master Chief's adventures on the PC.

Microsoft has announced that the PC version of Halo 2 will only work on the new version of Windows called Vista.

The decision could make it expensive for many to play the game if they have to buy the new version of Windows and extra hardware for their PC.

Microsoft has given no definite release date for Vista but it is expected to be available by the end of 2006.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4698072.stm

Who did'nt see this coming then??

Superfly
02-09-06, 04:53 PM
Also from Bungie:

Halo What on the Whatnow?

Halo 2, on Windows Vista. Halo 2, you may remember, is a "shoot them up" featuring the adventures of Master Chief and his wacky sidekick, Cortana. Well, Halo 2 you know about, but Vista, what the heck is that?

Windows Vista is the next generation Microsoft operating system that will by turns, be sweet, awesome, radical, and potentially translucent (in places). It will also add layers of new functionality, speed, media processing and so on. I have heard a rumor, in fact, that it will replicate a lot of the functionality of them new-fangled Media Center PCs so that you can stream HD and whatnot to your Xbox 360. If that's true, that would also be nice.

The game WILL be for Windows Vista, as in, not for Windows XP, so you have a while to get used to that and complain to me about what a jerk I am to Windows 3.1 users.

But back to Halo 2. We're working with another team at MS to make this not only happen, but happen in a super-sweet radical fashion. To that end, we're going to be helping with a lot of aspects, but don't worry, we are not doing the actual coding work – we're too busy with ONP (Our Next Project). In fact, a lot of you spotted the job postings at Bungie.net asking for, "programmers who are awesome at programming Halo 2 Xbox to work on a PC," and other subtle clues.

Using your Sherlock Holmes-ian powers of deduction, you probably figured it out. Anyway, there will be significant differences between the PC and the Xbox version. The PC for example, invariably runs at resolutions that aren't 480i. So there's that. The specs and features have been targeted, but not carved in stone, and things will change, so we're NOT going to announce anything more specific than you find here today.

One HUGE difference between Xbox and PC versions is the absence of Xbox Live. Now, much as a subset of you likes to bitch and moan about Live matchmaking, most of you agree it's a very nice way to find games in a hurry. But don't worry, we'll have a cool system for that, no doubt.
There will also be some kind of map-customization ability. Does that mean you can build your own maps from scratch, pixel by pixel, importing your own textures, scripts and detailed shaders? Or does it mean one empty room and a crate? Well, we'll have more news on that later this year, but it will be cool, we guarantee that.

There's loads of questions the Bungie faithful will ask, like, "Will there be a Mac version?" We can't answer that yet. It's not out of the question, but it's not definitely happening either. We promise to keep you posted, and in the interim, you can read the PR-ified version of the press release and FAQ below.

http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=halo2vistaannounce&p=6136047

J-Mag
02-09-06, 04:55 PM
Halo2 doesn't require Vista... It would be cheaper ot buy an Xbox!

Anyway I thought the Halo games were better for the consoles as you can play split screen.

Superfly
02-09-06, 04:58 PM
Well I'd rather have a copy of Vista than an XBox thanks :-)

nutcrackr
02-09-06, 05:04 PM
If Halo 2 doesn't work on windows xp then that's just stupid, as soon as vista is released the majority of windows users will be using XP, and months after I'm sure the same will be true unless it comes out at a really low pirce, which I doubt. So I really doubt they won't make it compatible with XP.

Superfly
02-09-06, 05:08 PM
As much as I agree with your reasoning (from a Halo 2 sales point of view anyway) they have already said its not gonna work on XP.

Im sure someone will find a way of making it work though.

jolle
02-09-06, 05:15 PM
If Halo 2 doesn't work on windows xp then that's just stupid, as soon as vista is released the majority of windows users will be using XP, and months after I'm sure the same will be true unless it comes out at a really low pirce, which I doubt. So I really doubt they won't make it compatible with XP.
It seems they plan to use something Vista specific.. perhaps the new APIs?
Either D3d10 or D3d9L, the latter is prolly not very different from DX9c we have now, but there seems to be some key features tied in with the new drivermodel for Vista.
Dont know to what extent, if any, the new APIs will be featured on XP.
Possibly they wont due to the drivermodel, only a guess tho..
If this is the case, then its fair to assume the game has been massivly rehauled graphicly I think.

Avalon is said to be coming to XP, but it isnt really related to the new APIs it seems..

anticitizenzero
02-09-06, 05:23 PM
Most likely it will utilize dx10 then, which means it will look a heluva lot better on the PC.

Superfly
02-09-06, 05:24 PM
Do you guys think MS are gonna be pimping this as a Vista launch title??

Its about time they started pimping PC gaming TBH.

$n][pErMan
02-09-06, 07:34 PM
Im not going to complain... in fact.. its a good way to show MS is still trying to work thier OS for gamers. I will not switch to vista right away (took me 6 months before I went XP from 98SE) but its good to know that games may not have huge issues with the OS like many games did with XP at first.

Peoples-Agent
02-09-06, 07:35 PM
I think you might be right Superfly tbh.

Just hope not too many developers jump on this wagon, I always prefer to let an OS pan out for awhile whilst the bugs are ironed out some.

Nv40
02-09-06, 07:35 PM
For the last time. No games requires Dx10..neither WIndows VIsta , THere is no dx10 hardware for developers to code anything. Rumours say the G80 /R600 will be Dx10 ready however.

THis is just stupid marketing move of Microsoft to force people buy VIsta ,to play an outdated Dx8 graphics game. Halo1 port to the PC doesnt look anything diferent that the Xbox1 version and performance is worse on the PC than in the console..

SImply stupid to see Microsoft doing this.. the community better unite and boycott that game.. and not buy crappy ports that looks identical to the Xbox1 but that the performance is far slower.and until the PC version support WIndowsXp with updated graphics that Sm3.0 hardware is capable today. is the less they can dot the least . after delaying so much the games on the PC.

Peoples-Agent
02-09-06, 07:53 PM
I wont be getting Halo 2 anyway, im not a Halo fan.
Shooting jibbering alien clowns who look like the lovechilds of John Kerry and Big Bird with a splatter cannon .....boring.

Airbrushkid
02-09-06, 08:10 PM
Well I like Halo a lot, but wil NOT buy Vista!! To hell with Microcrap. Vista is going to be a joke. You won't be able to use modify drivers with Vista and there so much more that you don't know.

Q
02-09-06, 08:26 PM
What a load of ****. You are required to use DX10 in order to play a minimilist DX8 game.

What a crock. (Even though I will be one of the first to own Vista and this won't effect me personally in any way, shape, or form.)

OWA
02-09-06, 08:28 PM
Why would Vista matter? If it does, I wonder if it'll mean we'll have compatability issues with the games we have now.

nrs421
02-09-06, 08:50 PM
i'll had always planned on getting vista but i will no way in hell get halo2

evilchris
02-09-06, 08:53 PM
Try this too guys:

BUY AN XBOX or XBOX360 if you want to play Halo 2. Geez.

TierMann
02-09-06, 09:10 PM
I don't know about Halo2, but it's about time we had a 3D Solitaire, Freecell and Minesweeper.

Buying an XBox isn't an option since that's probably the only game I'd play on it. I'd like to keep the amount of money going directly to MS as minimal as possible too. Vista (if I pay for it ;)) should be cheaper than a 360 and more useful if everything else is going to progress as well (games, drivers, apps).

jAkUp
02-10-06, 01:14 AM
Well I'm just thankful that MS is giving PC Gaming some attention again, whether for marketing reasons, or features.

ynnek
02-10-06, 01:16 AM
My guess? Halo 2 will be use some sort of DRM supported by Windows Vista.

There's some interesting possibilities that open up with Vista.. I'll most likely be upgrading to it (and a new computer) when it comes out anyways.

Again, I think all this hubbub is related to DRM..Need to add more protection, to enforce DRM.

Airbrushkid
02-10-06, 03:35 AM
Never buy a Xcrock!

Fighting Spirit
02-10-06, 05:23 AM
Never buy a Xcrock!

I was stupid enough to bought one he he..
Nothing on the 360 feels nextgen so Sony is right..xbox 360 nextgen nah never its xbox1.5 as they said!

When a new console comes out it suposed to feel new but this piece of crap screems yesterdays news..

Vista will be the real thing so thanx MS for their passion for Pc Gaming..thats nextgen folks ;)

BTW if you want a console anyway couse it can be a lot of fun just go for Sony or Nintendo thats real console makers with games to back it up!
I cant wait for the PS3 and all great games for it and im sure thats the real nextgen console :D

Annywon here wants my crappy 360 hehe

Morrow
02-10-06, 05:57 AM
Most likely it will utilize dx10 then, which means it will look a heluva lot better on the PC.

DX10? Are you kidding me?

Halo 2 is DX8.1 game. I'm really anxious to find out about the changes they made that Halo 2 will now require DX10 and (or) Vista.

ralinn
02-10-06, 06:21 AM
I was stupid enough to bought one he he..
heheheh

Anyway, you're the king of wrong.

You'll be eating your words when GRAWF is out. Not like all the good looking games are going to be launch titles.