PDA

View Full Version : no screen once windows 2000 loads

Riktar
02-09-06, 06:23 PM
I just picked up a PNY 6200 AGP card off Ebay. Installed it in my system and initially I got no signal to the monitor at all. After re-seating the card I go the monitor to come up. However as soon as W2K gets past the splash screen the monitor goes into standby from what I am assuming is a loss of signal. I can boot into windows in safe mode with no problem.

I did uninstall my previous drivers before loading the Nvidia ones. I also checked the voltages in the bios and I am still holding at 11.95 on the 12v rail.

The motherboard is a Asus P4P800 SE.

Any ideas?

jeffmd
02-09-06, 07:50 PM
you baught a dead card? ^^ was it used?

Roadhog
02-09-06, 08:12 PM
maybe its the drivers?

WimpMiester
02-09-06, 09:22 PM
When in safe mode go to the display settings and set the resolution and color depth to defaults. Also you can try booting in vga mode so the display driver is disabled, then you can see what you settings are.

jAkUp
02-09-06, 09:23 PM
Yea boot into safe mode, completely wipe all nvidia and ATI drivers, and use drivercleaner.

Gentle
02-10-06, 12:03 PM
Won't hurt to also try to reinstall the motherboard GART drivers for the AGP bus while you're at it.

Gentle

Riktar
02-10-06, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies folks. I thought I had removed all traces of the old drivers. I will check again.

As a thought I may grab one of my spare hard drives and just do a fresh install of W2k on that and see what happens.

As an aside, I did boot into Linux (Xandros) with pretty much the same results. In other words initially the system booted in vesa mode and once I loaded the Nvidia drivers I got a blank screen.

I used to run a PNY Personal Cinema FX5700 that worked flawlessly on the system. As a matter of fact I never even loaded the Nividia drivers (For the Personal Cinema FX5700) in Xandros since the OS natively recognized the card. I am guessing this was the case since I got an Nvidia splash screen as part of the Xandros load screens.

I will also do the #2 eraser cleaning of the contacts before I put the card back in as well as blowing out the AGP slot with some compressed air.

Ain't computers fun? :banghead: