PDA

View Full Version : Video card problem or Monitor problem? You decide!

Digital_Trans
02-10-06, 12:52 AM
Would anyone know why my monitor screen goes black and my computer and everything else stays on? I'll be surfing online or doing something that doesn't
require alot of power or multi-tasking and all of a sudden my monitor goes black and my computer keeps running. Nothing else changes other then my monitor screen going black. I then have to reboot and I'm okay for a day or two and then all of a sudden my monitor screen goes black on me. Why is this happening and what can be done to fix the problem? Is it the video card or monitor problem or perhaps a drivers issue?

Internal Hardware:

Koolance PC3-700 Series Color: Silver
Corsair XMS-2 2GB (4x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel
Intel Pentium D EXTREME Edition 840+ 3.2 GHz with HT
Asus P5N32 SLI-Deluxe Full X16 SLI Support Motherboard
2 BFG 7800 GTX-OC 512MB SLI
Creative Labs X-Fi Fatality X-64 Ram
SinTek 600+ Watt Power Supply SLI Ready!
Western Digital SATA-36GB-Raptor/10,000 RPM 8MB Cache-OS
Western Digital SATA-75GB-Raptor/10,000 RPM 8MB Cache-Games
Western Digital SATA-250GB-Caviar SE/7,200 RPM 16MB Cache-Storage
Lite-On DVD/CD/R/RW Dual Layer
Windows XP Pro SP2

External hardware:

Dell Ultra Sharp 24.3" HD/Digital/Analog LCD Monitor Model: 2405FPW
Logitech 5.1 Z-5500 Digital Speaker Home th system
Logitech Wireless MX 1000 Laser Mouse
Logitech Wirelsss MX3000 Keyboard
HP All-In-One Printer,Scanner,Copier Model: 2400xi
Korg Triton Le 76 Key Musical Work Station OS v1.5.1

OWA
02-10-06, 01:01 AM
Hmm, not sure. Do you have another monitor you can try temporarily to see if it's the monitor?

Also, make sure you've plugged the monitor into one of the ports on the first card. I'd also try the other port on the first card to see if that matters. Double check the connection to make sure you've got a good connection on both ends.

Just out of curiousity, when it happens again, turn your monitor off and then back on to see if the picture is restored.

I can't really think of anything else at the moment. Maybe someone else will have better suggestions or a better idea on what could be wrong.

Edit: One other thing, does it only happen when SLI is enabled or does it also happen if you just use one card?

jeffmd
02-10-06, 01:05 AM
does turning the monitor off..waiting a minute, and then turning it back on fix it? About a year and a half ago, my monitor developed an issue where about a quarter of the time, it would get "stuck" switching video modes during bootup, the relays would remain in the screen off position. I had to turn off the monitor for about 8 seconds to fix it.

Digital_Trans
02-10-06, 01:05 AM
Hmm, not sure. Do you have another monitor you can try temporarily to see if it's the monitor?

Also, make sure you've plugged the monitor into one of the ports on the first card. I'd also try the other port on the first card to see if that matters. Double check the connection to make sure you've got a good connection on both ends.

Just out of curiousity, when it happens again, turn your monitor off and then back on to see if the picture is restored.

I can't really think of anything else at the moment. Maybe someone else will have better suggestions or a better idea on what could be wrong.

Edit: One other thing, does it only happen when SLI is enabled or does it also happen if you just use one card?

I'll have to wait and see and do some more testing to answer that question.
I'll let you know as soon as I know. Thank you!

seeker
02-10-06, 01:11 AM
I know nothing about your hardware, and only a little about video card, but this may possibly relate, I don't know:

Black Screen of Death:

[prob.: related to the Floating Head of Death in a famous Far Side cartoon.] A failure mode of Microsloth Windows. On an attempt to launch a DOS box, a networked Windows system not uncommonly blanks the screen and locks up the PC so hard that it requires a cold boot to recover. This unhappy phenomenon is known as The Black Screen of Death. See also Blue Screen of Death, which has become rather more common.

overvolt
02-10-06, 01:38 AM
Install the driver of your monitor again ..

Digital_Trans
02-10-06, 02:16 AM
Thus far I've had no problems since I changed the settings in power options properties. My power schmes is set to Home/Office Desk.

Settings for Home/Office Desk power scheme

Turn off monitor: Never

Turn off hard disks: Never

System standby: Never

I've attached an image of what I've done thus far.
Only time will tell........

CaptNKILL
02-10-06, 02:38 AM
Heh, its probably Java. I'll bet you right now thats what it is. Go open a Java app or a page with java on it.

I bet you also have anti-aliasing forced on in the nVidia display options. Its a very irritating Forceware\Java bug that some people report. My brother has it as well. If you open any java app with anti-aliasing forced on in direct3d, you get a black screen with the newest forcewares.

The only way to stop it is to turn off any forced anti-aliasing in the drivers (for d3d specifically). Set it to application controlled. If you want to test it, you can probably go to the java website and download an update. When it finishes, it will display a java applet. Another way to check it would be to open a java app like Azureas or Lime Wire. If youre experiencing the bug, having AA forced when any of these things load will cause a black screen that requires a reboot.

Digital_Trans
02-10-06, 03:13 AM
Will do my best on getting to the bottom of this problem.

Digital_Trans
02-10-06, 06:55 AM
Heh, its probably Java. I'll bet you right now thats what it is. Go open a Java app or a page with java on it.

I bet you also have anti-aliasing forced on in the nVidia display options. Its a very irritating Forceware\Java bug that some people report. My brother has it as well. If you open any java app with anti-aliasing forced on in direct3d, you get a black screen with the newest forcewares.

The only way to stop it is to turn off any forced anti-aliasing in the drivers (for d3d specifically). Set it to application controlled. If you want to test it, you can probably go to the java website and download an update. When it finishes, it will display a java applet. Another way to check it would be to open a java app like Azureas or Lime Wire. If youre experiencing the bug, having AA forced when any of these things load will cause a black screen that requires a reboot.

I was just surfing the web and my monitor screen went black on me.
I did notice that the monitor mode did turn off while my pc continued to run.
I'll try to uninstall the Java software and see if that helps.

CaptNKILL
02-10-06, 09:41 AM
I was just surfing the web and my monitor screen went black on me.
I did notice that the monitor mode did turn off while my pc continued to run.
I'll try to uninstall the Java software and see if that helps.
It will but you wont be able to view java applets. You'll have to download it eventually :p

Just go to java's website and install the newest version. If you have no problems getting through all of that, then that isnt the problem. If you do, then just disable forced AA in your display settings.

EDIT: Hmmm... I just thought of something. I wonder if making an nView profile for javaw.exe and having AA set to "application controlled" would fix the problem...

OWA
02-10-06, 12:21 PM
EDIT: Hmmm... I just thought of something. I wonder if making an nView profile for javaw.exe and having AA set to "application controlled" would fix the problem...
I've seen some report doing that works for them.

CaptNKILL
02-11-06, 12:24 AM
So, get his figured out?

Digital_Trans
02-11-06, 01:31 AM
Update: So far so good. Have not needed Java for anything. (nana2)
I hope nothing happens.

CaptNKILL
02-11-06, 05:58 AM
Update: So far so good. Have not needed Java for anything. (nana2)
I hope nothing happens.
So whatd you do? Did you test it out or are you just avoiding java? :p

Digital_Trans
02-11-06, 09:05 AM
So whatd you do? Did you test it out or are you just avoiding java? :p

No, but I will reinstall Java and then disable some of the forceware features
as you discribed earlier. :D How do I disable a view things in order to keep the Jave plug-in?

CaptNKILL
02-11-06, 04:39 PM
Right click desktop
Properties
Settings
Advanced
Geforce 7800 GTX (should be something like this)
Select performance and quality settings from the menu on the left.
Select anti-aliasing.
Make sure its set to application controlled.
Hit ok.

Hopefully thatl fix it.