PDA

View Full Version : no Transparency AA for XP64 nVidia Users

spawn
02-10-06, 04:19 AM
nVidia forceWare driver for G7xxx series lacks off support for transparency AA in Windows XP64. once more XP64 user are missing a feature which is well working in the 32bit counterpart.
check it out yourself with this tool by nVidia
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/transparency_aa.html

kind regards
s.p.a.w.n@gmx.net

jolle
02-10-06, 04:47 AM
Which drivers have you tested? seems like a bold claim with little to back it up..
Id be suprised if its true and not something else like a bugged set, or somesuch, since noone has mentioned it yet, and I think we have a few 7800 x64 users here..

Wolfhound
02-10-06, 05:11 AM
I havenīt read anything regarding this issue and never was mentioned here :bleh: , in this forums are some users with Win XP x64 + Geforce 7xxxx series and never had mentioned this :confused:

nVidiaGuru
02-10-06, 05:27 AM
I have transparancy AA with my x64 install using 81.98, run drivercleaner and reinstall (nana2)

spawn
02-10-06, 05:37 AM
i have testet it with a completly new installation
XP64 > nForce driver 6.82 > forceWare driver 81.98 > directx feb 06
NO transparency AA, not in games, not in this nvidia test tool

|MaguS|
02-10-06, 05:40 AM
You sure your using a 7 Series Nvidia GPU?

spawn
02-10-06, 05:51 AM
You sure your using a 7 Series Nvidia GPU?
7800GTX 256MB rev. A2 Chip :thumbdwn:

i have 2 partitions one xp32 the other xp64.
32bit with the same driver and directx versions is working fine
64bit is working not

rflair
02-10-06, 08:05 AM
I have XP64 installed and transparency AA does not work with the Nvidia test tool posted above. I'm going to try some other things but if its true i'll be back on XP32.

spawn
02-10-06, 09:28 AM
I have XP64 installed and transparency AA does not work with the Nvidia test tool posted above. I'm going to try some other things but if its true i'll be back on XP32.

man i am so glad that i am not the only one. ;)
i will do the same if this is not fixed ASAP i go back to XP32 too

SH0DAN
02-10-06, 02:58 PM
I am using XP64 and the 83.60 x64 build,and running FEAR,Fable/HalfLife 2 and Q4+Doom3,it works just fine with all of them.I also uninstalled them today just for shiznit and giggles and tried the 77.77 x64's that came with my Asus EN7800GT and guess what,it (Transparency AA)worked fine in FEAR as well as Fable,and Quake 4 with the latest Beta/(1.05,better dual core support + no more Securom 7 garbage)patch.Use driver cleaner then reinstall,something is wrong on your system and it is not the drivers.I am using the same drivers with the same OS and have no problems with transparent AA.The tool from Nvidia,would not work,but who cares ?? its
the games that matter to me,and the games work just fine on my system.

jolle
02-10-06, 03:33 PM
So the Tool might have some bug with x64, Direct3d/OpenGL or the x64 drivers.
But the acctual functionality works in games etc?

spawn
02-10-06, 03:50 PM
it is NOT WORKING. for example in BF2 look at the metal fences
i have checked with a brand new XP64 installation as posted above, tried driver only settings
tried tools like nHancer & NVtray the driver simply does not support this feature.

if you look at the whitepaper /same link as above) you see that the nVidia tool is checking
if the driver supports that feature. if not you canīt check the boxes in that tool.

conclusion:
no tranparency support in the driver for XP64 and if the tranparency AA is not working in the 32bit tool from nVidia,
it is NOT working in any 32bit games in XP64

rflair
02-10-06, 05:09 PM
I am using XP64 and the 83.60 x64 build

83.60 hasn't been released/leaked yet for XP64.

The tool from Nvidia,would not work,but who cares ??

I don't understand are you saying it didn't even run, or that you failed to enable transparency AA. Either way I would care.

(Transparency AA)worked fine in FEAR as well as Fable,and Quake 4

Are you comparing pics taken within the game with transparency AA on/off or are you doing this subjectively just using your preception.

OWA
02-10-06, 06:13 PM
Does TAA work with opengl?

spawn
02-11-06, 02:52 AM
i am not sure, i only have quake4 installed and in the game it is hardly to see a difference
when setting to tranparency AA or normal AA

particleman
02-11-06, 08:19 AM
Does TAA work with opengl?

In every OpenGL game I've tested in XP32, TAA does nothing over standard AA, alpha textures get no AA.

Dum
03-22-06, 01:54 PM
About a week ago, I bought myself a new computer with a GeForce 7800 GT. It's set up to dual boot into Windows XP Pro 32-bit and Windows XP x64. I installed ForceWare 81.98 32-bit on 32 bit XP and ForceWare 81.98 64-bit on XP x64.

I then proceeded to configure the card to use Supersampled Transparency Antialiasing on both OSes. Imagine my surprise when I noticed that transparency AA was properly applied to games in 32-bit XP but not in XP x64. More experimentation showed the same problem for Multisampled Transparency Antialiasing.

Thinking I had done something wrong, I downloaded the official transparency AA test application from the nVIDIA SDK (http://developer.nvidia.com/object/transparency_aa.html) to see if nVIDIA’s own tool would work - but while it works perfectly on 32-bit XP it refuses to allow me to enable transparency AA on x64.

I decided to dig deeper into the nVIDIA SDK. It turns out that SS transparency AA is dependent on the availability of the SSAA surface format, and MS transparency AA requires that the ATOC surface format is present. To lean more, I wrote a small test program that uses DirectX 9 to enumerate all available custom surface formats of the driver.

On 32-bit Windows XP, the following surface formats were found:

The adapter supports the surface format AI44.
The adapter supports the surface format ATOC.
The adapter supports the surface format AYUV.
The adapter supports the surface format NV12.
The adapter supports the surface format NVBF.
The adapter supports the surface format NVDB.
The adapter supports the surface format NVID.
The adapter supports the surface format NVMD.
The adapter supports the surface format NVMP.
The adapter supports the surface format NVSP.
The adapter supports the surface format SSAA.
The adapter supports the surface format UYVY.
The adapter supports the surface format YUY2.
The adapter supports the surface format YV12.

On 64-bit Windows XP x64, the following surface formats were found:

You'll notice that the ATOC and SSAA formats are missing on XP x64, making it impossible to enable transparency AA on x64.

By now, I was wondering if this was just some setting that was wrong on x64, so I decided to start investigate the ForceWare driver files. I quickly found, in nv4_disp.dll, the list of supported surface formats (just search for any surface format that is available on both 32- and 64-bit, like "NVDB", in any hex editor).
Surprise, surprise, on 32-bit ForceWare ATOC and SSAA are present, but they are not there on 64-bit ForceWare. Searching through other ForceWare x64 versions (77.72-84.21) reveals that none of them support transparency AA.

The only conclusion I can draw is that the code required to support transparency AA simply isn't included in ForceWare for x64, thus it can't be enabled through a registry hack but requires an updated ForceWare x64 version with support for ATOC and SSAA compiled in.

Considering that the required support for transparency antialiasing does not appear to even exist in the driver binaries, I'm somewhat suspicious of the previous posts claiming transparency AA works on x64. My guess would be that the posters have supersampled full screen antialiasing enabled, which does work, even though supersampled transparancy antialiasing does not.

Superfly
03-22-06, 02:17 PM
About a week ago, I bought myself a new computer with a GeForce 7800 GT. It's set up to dual boot into Windows XP Pro 32-bit and Windows XP x64. I installed ForceWare 81.98 32-bit on 32 bit XP and ForceWare 81.98 64-bit on XP x64.

I then proceeded to configure the card to use Supersampled Transparency Antialiasing on both OSes. Imagine my surprise when I noticed that transparency AA was properly applied to games in 32-bit XP but not in XP x64. More experimentation showed the same problem for Multisampled Transparency Antialiasing.

Thinking I had done something wrong, I downloaded the official transparency AA test application from the nVIDIA SDK (http://developer.nvidia.com/object/transparency_aa.html) to see if nVIDIA’s own tool would work - but while it works perfectly on 32-bit XP it refuses to allow me to enable transparency AA on x64.

I decided to dig deeper into the nVIDIA SDK. It turns out that SS transparency AA is dependent on the availability of the SSAA surface format, and MS transparency AA requires that the ATOC surface format is present. To lean more, I wrote a small test program that uses DirectX 9 to enumerate all available custom surface formats of the driver.

On 32-bit Windows XP, the following surface formats were found:

The adapter supports the surface format ATOC.
The adapter supports the surface format SSAA.

On 64-bit Windows XP x64, the following surface formats were found:

You'll notice that the ATOC and SSAA formats are missing on XP x64, making it impossible to enable transparency AA on x64.

By now, I was wondering if this was just some setting that was wrong on x64, so I decided to start investigate the ForceWare driver files. I quickly found, in nv4_disp.dll, the list of supported surface formats (just search for any surface format that is available on both 32- and 64-bit, like "NVDB", in any hex editor).
Surprise, surprise, on 32-bit ForceWare ATOC and SSAA are present, but they are not there on 64-bit ForceWare. Searching through other ForceWare x64 versions (77.72-84.21) reveals that none of them support transparency AA.

The only conclusion I can draw is that the code required to support transparency AA simply isn't included in ForceWare for x64, thus it can't be enabled through a registry hack but requires an updated ForceWare x64 version with support for ATOC and SSAA compiled in.

Considering that the required support for transparency antialiasing does not appear to even exist in the driver binaries, I'm somewhat suspicious of the previous posts claiming transparency AA works on x64. My guess would be that the posters have supersampled full screen antialiasing enabled, which does work, even though supersampled transparancy antialiasing does not.

I just put this up on the developer forums for you, if its a true issue then thats the place to confirm it.

I'll forward a bug report if it can be reproduced on NVD.

SH0DAN
03-22-06, 06:50 PM
83.60 hasn't been released/leaked yet for XP64.

I don't understand are you saying it didn't even run, or that you failed to enable transparency AA. Either way I would care.

Are you comparing pics taken within the game with transparency AA on/off or are you doing this subjectively just using your preception.

I meant to type 81.95 x64,But none the less I have a build for XP64 that use those numbers[83.60]they are XtremeG drivers.(I compared pics/screenies with it on and off using 77.77 and 81.95,I did not use a subjective test).The tool he mentioned would not run with transparency aa on in my install of xp64,but under an xp32 install on the same system it will.

Edit:thinking back now,when I used the 77.77's back in December,I was using xp32 pro

SH0DAN
03-22-06, 06:53 PM
I have taken hundreds of screen shots of Quake4 and Doom3 and they tell me different,I am no programmer but know what I saw with my own eyes,and this also includes FEAR,without any patches applied under x64.

SH0DAN
03-22-06, 06:59 PM
Another game I have played with this enabled where I took screenies with it off and on was FEAR,several weeks ago,but as for the exact driver release I used when testing it at the time,I cant remember.

spawn
03-23-06, 01:37 PM
VERRY GOOD JOB Dum (nana2)