PDA

View Full Version : dual pci express at work

Venturi
02-10-06, 08:18 AM
Thought I would expand your horizons.

Yes, this is a real use of two nvidia cards and four monitors in the professional setting. This is a picture of tissue on a digital imaging (PACS) station. The small squares on the right toolbar are thumbnails of other slices from the same bone/tissue. Each monitor has 5 megapixels. They are deliberatly black and white for high contrast. One desktop with 4 monitors (20 Megapixels).

The main archive is in another part of the hospital, connectivity is all fibre optic for the building. Data loads are too great for copper. I store almost 90GB of new images per day. Does not sound like much, but the medical community likes their 2 GB files per patient image set to appear magically on the workstation without an hour glass. Multiply that need at this particular hospital by 70 workstations (some only have 2 monitors) and you can see that data traffic can get quite high.

Its not all for fun and games.

I try to be fair in my hardware selections across the industry, nvidia seems to cater to my needs beyond my gaming enthusiasm. A few years ago these types of high rez 5MP monitors could onlly be powered by $10,000 propriatary cards, now, the nvidia professional cards can do the same job for much less.

A fully configured 4 monitor medical imaging workstation with all the software can run over $100,000. Food for thought.

ViN86
02-10-06, 08:37 AM
kick. ass. :headbang:

also, did they ever consider using shades of green in their imaging? i heard the human eye can detect more shades of green than any other color, thats why they use it in nightvision. this seem practical? or am i way off base?

Venturi
02-10-06, 08:44 AM
You are not off base.

However, the original xray or high rez imaging devices (modalities) save the image by default in BW. While we can indeed detect green quite well, it is not a prefered contrasting colour. Black and white gives the greatest seperation and contrast and this makes it more efficient in reveling slight variations in the image. You might not see a hairline fracture on a cervical with the green contrast to black ratio.

Contrast is what reveals the variations. But your observations on green are popular. But one of the greatest requests I get is for colour on the workstations. To get the same contrast ratio out of colour as I do in 5 megapixel BW monitors, I would need a 22megapixel colour monitor.

Jay