PDA

View Full Version : Dual Core Question...

rev.
02-10-06, 04:03 PM
How do I get Prime to run on each core? I set one's Affinity to 0 and the other's to 1 but they both still use one cpu...

FraGTastiK
02-10-06, 04:34 PM
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=158518&postcount=1

rev.
02-10-06, 04:44 PM
ThanKs!

Working, now...both cores are priming with the "blend" tests but the useage guage is only indication 50% CPU.

Any thoughs?

I only saw in that post how to set max RAM tested...

Dudes__Geof_
02-10-06, 04:48 PM
Possibly 50% meaning each core is sharing the load?

Edit - I'm not sure how dual core shows up in Windows, but if it shows as two processors is it 50% for each or 50% on one ?

jolle
02-10-06, 05:16 PM
Blend should prolly be run on one core alone, you could set the "affinity" option in Prime to allow for both cores.
Blend is RAM intensive and doesnt use alot of CPU most of the time, one Instance should be using your entire RAM for testing.
good for stressing the Memory, and should yield errors pretty fast if the RAM is faulty or just not coping with a OC.

if you want to stress the CPU cores you should prolly be best of with "Max heat" test (forgot the exact name). on both Instances of the program.
It wont use much RAM, but it will peg both cores on full load..
1 CPU full load = 50% total CPU usage, both cores fully loaded = 100%.

ViN86
02-10-06, 07:05 PM
the instances of prime95 CANNOT be run from the same directory. you need to separate directories with the program in it. then set the affinities on each program via the affinity option.

use the task manager, and if its still at 50%, try restarting the one that isnt registering. it doesnt always work first time for me, sometimes i have to restart one of the instances.

gl :)

(PS 50% indicates the CPU is running both instances on one core, it should say 100% if both cores are being fully uitilized. also, decrease the amount of memory being used by each instance to prevent the page file from being used)

jolle
02-10-06, 07:09 PM
the instances of prime95 CANNOT be run from the same directory. you need to separate directories with the program in it. then set the affinities on each program via the affinity option.
Yeah you can, you just make another shortcut and add -A1 to the command line for the second instance.
"C:\Program Files\Prime95\Prime95.exe" -A1

ViN86
02-10-06, 07:14 PM
Yeah you can, you just make another shortcut and add -A1 to the command line for the second instance.
"C:\Program Files\Prime95\Prime95.exe" -A1
didnt work for me, neither did the tags. the programs tiny, so, to each his own...

FraGTastiK
02-10-06, 11:12 PM
ThanKs!

Working, now...both cores are priming with the "blend" tests but the useage guage is only indication 50% CPU.

Any thoughs?

I only saw in that post how to set max RAM tested...

You're welcome.I think the original poster already mentioned that but to get both cores 100% up all the time I did as he advised.After adding -A0 and -A1 to the end of both shortcuts you've made from the same directory and one installation of the Prime95 then setting affinity from within the program itself , you need to choose custom button from torture test window and add half the amount of your available unused RAM/Memory minus 200 (I added 800 for each one) in the "Memory to use (im MB)" box for each of the instances running , at least thats one way to do it and it works for me.

That imposes a cruel torture on both cores , can the mem controller sustain it and not fade away prematurely if done under high voltage situations? ;)