PDA

View Full Version : New 7800 GS problem - Need help if possible

Sellars
02-11-06, 02:36 PM
Hello,

First post here, I have a problem that I could do with some help with if possible. Here's the details;

I bought a new XFX nVidia 7800 GS AGP card to replace my old 5900 Ultra card. Uninstalled the old card, shutdown and installed the new. Both cards need one molex to power them. My PSU is a Tagan 480w with 28A max on the 12V rail.

When booting, the new card shows the Bios screen as usual, then when the bios ends and the Windows XP loading box normally appears, the computer resets. I have been able to get to the Safe mode select box, and even when i choose VGA mode, or safe mode, the computer resets.

I have already been into My Computer, and turned off reset automatically on system failure, and tried a different rail from the PSU. My 5900 Ultra works fine in the slot (so shouldn't be a slot problem). The motherboard is a ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe. Already been back to the shop, they dropped it into a board and it worked just fine.

If someone can suggest something I have overlooked, that would be great. When loading into safe mode, the screen fills with the sys loading, then resets. Doesn't even get to a windows screen

Thanks for any help, in advance !

Sellars

BioHazZarD
02-11-06, 03:39 PM
must be your PSU then.

Sellars
02-11-06, 03:52 PM
That was my initial conclusion, but the existing PSU can supply 28A on the 12V rail, and already supplies the 5900 with enough power...

:(

The Bigman
02-11-06, 05:46 PM
if their is fat BSOD not seeing it could be corrpted Registry typical with 2kxp with hardware. PSU is fine

martin lewis
02-11-06, 06:03 PM
I Got a New XFX 7800 GS AGP had the same problems as you experienced up , luckly for me I have XP on a drive by itself, and can reinstall without losing any important data,

What I am saying is , for me reinstalling windows xp solved it.

Hope this helps.

Sellars
02-11-06, 07:02 PM
Just tried a fresh install on a blank IDE drive i keep for emergencies. No luck, gets through loading stuff from the windows CD, up to loading NTFS file system, then resets.

CaptNKILL
02-11-06, 07:17 PM
What about the XP repair installation feature? Just do normal XP setup and when it asks you about repairing an XP installation, do it. Its not the recovery console part, just skip over that. If you get to where you are supposed to format, you didnt do it right, reboot and look again.

The repair install just repairs the OS files without changing any of your data. Its not as thorough as a full reinstall but it usually does the job unless you have something really screwed up (ie from a virus or very bad driver that wont go away).

Sellars
02-12-06, 09:59 AM
I can't get -to- the repair installation screen. It resets just after loading NTFS file system from the Windows CD