PDA

View Full Version : AA and AF make no difference?

NrG
02-13-06, 05:43 AM
I was just wondering whether turning on AA and AF realle makes a difference. Or am I just purely using the wrong game to test it?

I used no AA and no AF first out and then tried 4xS AA and 8x AF and found no diff except a 50% drop in FPS....
I used WoW to test.

hazindu
02-13-06, 10:48 AM
Perhaps you just don't have an eye for image quality. Consider yourself lucky, some of us waste big bucks on highend video cards so we can keep on the aa and af.

CaptNKILL
02-13-06, 11:05 AM
Yeah, if you dont notice, leave it off. You'll be a lot better off :p

superklye
02-13-06, 11:11 AM
I would say that WoW may not be the BEST game to test...but you should still see a huge drop in jaggies and whatnot on on the edges of characters, buildings and other objects in the game...

|MaguS|
02-13-06, 11:15 AM
I see a huge difference between AA and AF on and off in WoW... but maybe my eyes are more sensitive to it. Have you tried setting it ingame? I had to...

maxima420
02-13-06, 05:59 PM
if you can't see the difference you don't know what you are looking for. i turned on AA and AF in WoW for my brother and he was so amazed.

not noticing aa or af is like saying you didn't notice when HDR was turned on...

agentkay
02-13-06, 06:14 PM
Up until a few years I barely noticed any difference what AF and AA made as well. lol I think it has a lot to do what screen you are using. I used a rather old CRT for gaming and after I got the 6800 and a DVI LCD, I notice the difference that AA and AF make much easier. I hate to game now with settings below 8AF and 2AA.

maxima420
02-13-06, 07:33 PM
i use an ancient dec monitor. i can see it fine. jaged lines and textures that are super fuzzy will show up on any monitor.

on a side note i would pick a crt over an LCD any day for gaming. i think most would agree. and yes i'v used both.

as i said above i doubt the author of this knows what to look for because aa and af is a huge difference...

NrG
02-13-06, 11:14 PM
Yeah, maybe I'll look closer into it. Which level of AA and AF is good?

SH64
02-14-06, 12:32 AM
Perhaps you just don't have an eye for image quality. Consider yourself lucky, some of us waste big bucks on highend video cards so we can keep on the aa and af.

QFT!! :(

NrG
02-14-06, 01:12 AM
Okay guys, I definately noticed the difference in AOE3, massive difference. But my FPS is so low! any fixes?

zoomy942
02-14-06, 01:35 AM
your video card is whats slowing you down. its rather old, and a newer midrange card would mop the floor with it. and you could use some of the yummy goodness of AA and AF and not notice a speed drop:)

RejZoR
02-15-06, 08:07 AM
Ok, you must be blind not to see difference between NO AA/AF and 4xAA/8xAF. Just look at ground textures in the distance and edges of objects, preferably thin, stick like objects.
Though, check if game doesn't overrides AA/AF level through ingame settings!

SLippe
02-15-06, 01:57 PM
On my old Ti4400, I ran most games at 2xAA/2xAF, sometimes 4xAA/4xAF. Just try different combos, but the AA setting will have more of an effect on your fps than the AF will.

Medion
02-15-06, 05:30 PM
For me, I can live without AA, but I'll use it if I can. To be honest, I notice no visual difference between 4x and 8xS. However, the differene between none, 2x, and 4x are all noticable to me, but at 1280x1024, not that important.

I refuse to game below 8xAF though, and even on my old 9800XT I always had it at 16x. To me, AF makes a huge difference in visual quality with very little sacrifice in performance.

snowmanwithahat
02-15-06, 05:36 PM

agreed.... don't mess with it if you don't know what you're looking for, because we know, we pay attention to it, and it bothers us... leading us to buy more expensive stuff... it's kind of a curse