PDA

View Full Version : Problems with eVGA 7800GT

SEANBROWNING
02-13-06, 09:45 PM
So, I just built my rig, it consists of a Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo, 250GB SATA2 HD, AMD 64bit 3700+ San Diego, eVGA 7800GT, and 2 gigs of DDR400 dual channel ram topped off with a 450Watt Antec Smartpower.

Now, I have loaded it with NFS:MW, HL2, HL2:DM, CS1.6, AoE3, and many more and haven't had any problems up until about a week ago. It has significant visual distortion, artifacts, and in the most serious cases complete crashes, once resulting in a bluescreen, that left too quickly to assess. I am using completely stock cooling on all parts, and monitoring my CPU with Asus Probe2 and using the built-in temp monitor on the nvidia display options.

Thus far I have run a progam(DX9 Real-Time High-Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting) to put load on the system to monitor temperatures. My CPU never tops 40, infact averages 36-38 under the load(32 at idle). My graphics card hits 60-62 when the system crashes/hangs/flips out. I have updated my drivers, and also used the forceware(WinXP_2K(83[1].40)) suggested on this forum. Now I am STUCK. Any suggestions before I call eVGA and tell them they are going to foot a replacement? :thumbdwn:

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, I didn't see a tech support location. Please move this if I happened to miss it.

Thank you in advance.

OWA
02-13-06, 10:17 PM
60-62 is pretty low so it doesn't seem like it should be a temp issue.

Also, turn off the automatic restart so you can read the blue screens (System->Advanced->Startup and Recovery (settings) and then uncheck the automatically restart option.

SEANBROWNING
02-13-06, 10:38 PM
I only received the one blue screen and haven't gotten another one since, although it has still crashed mulitple times. It seems that the problem is becoming more frequent, previously it was once a day while gaming, now its once an hour while gaming, or once everytime i put load on it from the program I listed previously.

SEANBROWNING
02-13-06, 10:48 PM
I just used Coolbits to significantly reduce the core clock frequency(380) and memory clock(940). And, although it did take longer to heat up, at 58 degrees the system crashed with visual distortion(that resembled that of a bad Nintendo game on the old Nintendo systems with large distorted blocks) and a flickering screen. What the heck is going on! :(

Edit: They were set at 470/1100.

SEANBROWNING
02-13-06, 11:08 PM
Gah, I give up for the night, tomorrow I'll call eVGA and see what they say, if anyone has any suggestions, please do let me know. Thanks again in advance. :)

sillyeagle
02-13-06, 11:49 PM
Hi. I just built nearly an identical rig last week, so I must say you chose well in your pickings, and feel you have the best bang for the buck system money can buy right now. So good chioce. Anyway it does sound to me like a video card issue, so I would call evga and get that thing replaced. Since this is your new system I doubt your last one was PCI-E, but if it was I'm sure you would have tried a different vid card, if not that would tell you for sure.

Edit: By the way if it is of any use I got my San Diego to 2.8GHz on the stock voltage. In the BIOS I used 4x HTT, 166MHz memory speed, and then took the bus speed up to 255 with the stock 11x multiplier. This way the CPU runs at 2.8GHz, the HTT at 1020MHz, and the memory is at 216MHz(DDR432) I believe.

jcniest5
02-14-06, 12:48 AM
Well, so much for the anticipation of my order from ZZF! I just ordered the one that comes with a free EVGA NF4 S939 mobo. But I think I'm going to sell the mobo right after I mail in the rebate. The only reason why I bought the 7800GT is because of the free mobo offer and I can sell the mobo to cover part of my cost as I already have my Asus A8N-SLI Premium that I'm happy with. But it'll be a nice change going from the 6800U to 7800GT. If my memory serves me correctly, even an SLI-6800U might be just a tad slower than one 7800GT, so that's good news for me. I'm going to sell my 6800U PCI-E right after I make sure my new card works. Will keep you guys posted. Thx!

SLippe
02-14-06, 03:11 AM
I just ordered the eVGA card/mobo combo as well, but from newegg. I should have it by Friday. I hope I don't have any problems. I have an eVGA 6800 GT right now and haven't had any so far! (knock on wood) Best of luck to you.

jcniest5
02-14-06, 06:24 AM
I just ordered the eVGA card/mobo combo as well, but from newegg. I should have it by Friday. I hope I don't have any problems. I have an eVGA 6800 GT right now and haven't had any so far! (knock on wood) Best of luck to you.

Right after I ordered mine, the mobo went Back Ordered. So, hopefully I was the one that got the last one. Or else, I might have to wait for the Back Order ones. Which is good also (in a way) because that will ensure me that I will get the latest production/batch. As long as I get the 7800GT, it will be nice as I have no need of the mobo anyway. Oh, I saved $10.00 at ZZF then there is the free 2nd day FedEx whereas Newegg charges shipping for both of them, I think.

Good luck with yours and certainly keep us posted as well!

jp5612
02-14-06, 07:02 AM
So, I just built my rig, it consists of a Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo, 250GB SATA2 HD, AMD 64bit 3700+ San Diego, eVGA 7800GT, and 2 gigs of DDR400 dual channel ram topped off with a 450Watt Antec Smartpower.

Now, I have loaded it with NFS:MW, HL2, HL2:DM, CS1.6, AoE3, and many more and haven't had any problems up until about a week ago. It has significant visual distortion, artifacts, and in the most serious cases complete crashes, once resulting in a bluescreen, that left too quickly to assess. I am using completely stock cooling on all parts, and monitoring my CPU with Asus Probe2 and using the built-in temp monitor on the nvidia display options.

Thus far I have run a progam(DX9 Real-Time High-Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting) to put load on the system to monitor temperatures. My CPU never tops 40, infact averages 36-38 under the load(32 at idle). My graphics card hits 60-62 when the system crashes/hangs/flips out. I have updated my drivers, and also used the forceware(WinXP_2K(83[1].40)) suggested on this forum. Now I am STUCK. Any suggestions before I call eVGA and tell them they are going to foot a replacement? :thumbdwn:

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, I didn't see a tech support location. Please move this if I happened to miss it.

Thank you in advance.

You might was to check out the forums at evga.com. If I remember correctly, there were some issues with a bios for one version of their card. The bios had the memory clocked too high, which resulted in issues like you are having. There are instructions for flashing on the site.

http://evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8247

http://evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11725

jcniest5
02-14-06, 06:03 PM
From reading the problems posted at EVGA's forum, it seems like people are having tons of problem with the newer video cards. That is very discouraging. I wish I knew it beforehand, I might not have ordered the 7800GT even with the combo price. Too late to cancel now as my order has already been packed and shipped. Oh well, I guess I will have to see how it goes.

SLippe
02-14-06, 07:09 PM
From reading the problems posted at EVGA's forum, it seems like people are having tons of problem with the newer video cards. That is very discouraging. I wish I knew it beforehand, I might not have ordered the 7800GT even with the combo price. Too late to cancel now as my order has already been packed and shipped. Oh well, I guess I will have to see how it goes.
Yup, mines already left NJ as well and on it's way here. *crosses fingers, toes, legs, and anything else I can get crossed* Damn, wish I would have seen the ZZF ad though, could have saved me some money. Oh well, I look next time.

jcniest5
02-14-06, 08:45 PM
Hey Grunt, are you going to sell your EVGA mobo or keep it (assuming you already have a S939 mobo)? I think I will either: 1) Keep the video card and sell the mobo or 2) Sell them both separately to cover part of what I paid for, even if it means I lose something as a result of it/them.

SLippe
02-14-06, 11:52 PM
Hey Grunt, are you going to sell your EVGA mobo or keep it (assuming you already have a S939 mobo)? I think I will either: 1) Keep the video card and sell the mobo or 2) Sell them both separately to cover part of what I paid for, even if it means I lose something as a result of it/them.
No, I'm keeping it. I need a S939 mobo. I'm upgrading from my current NF2 board and socket A AMD Athlon XP 3200+ and my eVGA 6800 GT (already sold video card). My mobo and cpu are for sell in the For Sale/Trade area. I'm looking forward to the new performance. Man, what a week! Got a new 19" LCD and a new keyboard and now these parts! I'm so damn excited! I've already got the files I need backed up, like drivers, etc., on the other HDD, so all I need to do is a format and fresh install. Woohoo! This upgrade is huge for me. I can't explain it.

jcniest5
02-15-06, 05:52 AM
Grunt, I'm also excited for you! Good luck and have fun with your new rig. I'm sure you will keep us posted on your progress. Don't forget to visit www.abxzone.com or www.pcper.com and read the many posts regarding hints, questions and many other suggestions that may help you if you ever have any problem. Those are the two sites I visit most, but there are tons of other forums out there as well. Have fun with your new rig!

jcniest5
02-15-06, 06:09 AM
FYI: My video card/mobo combo will get here tomorrow (from ZZF). Also, I've ordered a Thermaltake Shark black case from ClubIT.com (back on the 9th) and it will get here tomorrow as well. I'm as excited as you are, Grunt! LOL...:D :D :D Will report how I like the new case and all. (nana2)

SLippe
02-15-06, 12:44 PM
Yeah, take pics! I know I will! Sh*t! I forgot to order some Arctic Silver! Damn*t! Oh well, I'll see if the local Best Buy has any. I get my stuff Friday, hopefully can build over the weekend, we'll see.

jcniest5
02-16-06, 05:37 PM
Just got home from work and my EVGA combo and T'take Shark case arrived earlier today. I'm in the process of taking my Premium out of my old Antec case (see sig.) and put it on the T'take case. I might sell the EVGA mobo. Will report back how it works.

jcniest5
02-16-06, 09:28 PM
I'm done with putting all my stuffs in the new case, including my new video card 7800GT. It was harder than I anticipated. The case is nice and quiet now, but boy, oh boy, it took me the longest time to reroute or rearrange all the cables and wires so they don't look messy. What took me the longest was the power wires at back of the HDs are pushing against everything back there. I had to take out the other panel and reroute and rearrange all the mess back there. In doing so, I also rerouted/rearranged all the accessories wires to different holes so they wouldn't interfere with the HD's power cables. The T'take Shark (or any similar ones) is nice, but be prepared for some work if you have a few HDs to install. Also, there are some sharp edges, so be careful not to cut yourself too bad.

My PC is running okay now. Haven't ran any bench on the new 7800GT yet. I'm sure it's faster than my 6800 Ultra but it wouldn't be a completely different world. Sorry, I don't have a digital camera, so couldn't take any pictures to show you guys.

So far a happy camper. No more howling noise from the 6+ fans on the Antec to annoy me! Woo woot! :D ;) Thanks for reading...

OWA
02-16-06, 09:38 PM
Yeah, routing cables is always the part I dread the most. Congrats on the nice quiet system. That's always my goal.

jcniest5
02-16-06, 11:09 PM
Just finished doing a 3DMark06 bench at default values and it's 3434. 3DMark2001SE is just 22455, just like my 6800 Ultra. Aquamark3 is 71,xxx, also same as my 6800 Ultra. What's wrong with older bench programs? Not working properly/fully use of the new features on the 7800GT or what? It's a disappointment if it's that slow (same speed as the 6800 Ultra).