PDA

View Full Version : Ram heatsink white gooey tape replacement?

jmacdonald801
02-14-06, 10:48 PM
Where can one buy that heat sink tape (white) that is placed between the heatsink and ram on modern nvidia cards?

I pulled apart my GTX512 thinking that a little arctic silver would improve cooling only to realize the ram no longer touched the heatsink.

I would either like to find where I can buy the white thermal tape stuff, or some other thicker compound that would work better in it's place.

I'm also looking for a compound save to use to remove excess arctic silver compond off of existing components.

I read arctic silver sold this kind of compound but I couldn't find anything that said if it was safe to use on electronics, like if some of your artice silver spilled over your core on to the chip where the little resisters are for example.

I did some google searching and couldn't find anything regarding where to buy this white goopey tape. Information would be greatly appreciated on where to buy a replacement or alternative.

Thanks.

Clay
02-14-06, 11:29 PM
I've seen thermal tape (not as thick though as what you're referring to) sold at places like CompUSA, BestBuy, Fry's, etc. It usually comes in sheets with a dozen or so small rectangular tape strips. You could stack a few of those on top of each other to get the thickness.

However, I've always removed that thick pasty stuff and replaced it with a healthy layer of Arctic Silver Ceramique (non-conductive, safer for use around BGA memory module connections). You usually just need to tighten the mounting screws down another turn or so to get good contact.

I always just use alcohol or acetone (fingernail polish remover) to remove thermal compound residue. I only use this sparingly to clean up the last stubborn areas after I first removed the majority with a dry cleaning cloth or Q-tips.

jmacdonald801
02-15-06, 10:46 AM
Well it doesn't appear to me that no amount of tightening down my GTX512 cooler is going to make contact. I could be wrong, I'm going to double check, but it does appear the that CPU is set to specifically sit out farther than the ram, hence the white pastey crap.

I'm considering getting some Shin Etsu G751 if I can find it. I also won't if it's non-conductive and safer in that respect than arctic silver.

GOZ
02-15-06, 02:03 PM
I'm considering getting some Shin Etsu G751 if I can find it. I also won't if it's non-conductive and safer in that respect than arctic silver.

Yes only put non-conductive paste on the ram

Arctic Silver Ceramique (non-conductive, safer for use around BGA memory module connections).

hemmy
02-15-06, 02:44 PM
The cleaner by Arctic Cooling is called Arctic Clean, i have it, works good. High % Rubbing alcohol works as well

jmacdonald801
02-15-06, 06:34 PM
I've used vodka successfully for years, does that count? Probably not as effective as rubbing alcohol but easier on the liver :p