PDA

View Full Version : Official PS3 specs posted

Pages : [1] 2 3

gmontem
02-15-06, 10:54 AM
Looks like the official PS3 specs have been posted at the Playstation site. Admittedly I don't keep up with this stuff so it could have been there for a long time now. :o

http://playstation.com/products.html

|MaguS|
02-15-06, 10:55 AM
Nope, New to the site... the site itself looks reworked aswell.

jAkUp
02-15-06, 11:01 AM
It says coming spring 2006??!! THats like... now :D

|MaguS|
02-15-06, 11:05 AM
Well they got till May to keep to their word... If they do launch in or before May in atleast Japan, they atleast have kept their word... Hopefully we will get some news at this months Tiawan Showing...

Nv40
02-15-06, 11:49 AM
To release in japan first its a very flawed marketing strategy.Because Microsoft sales there have been very very low ,plus not many games good games to buy until now in japan. REleasing in North America first in MAY and months later in Europe will be the worse thing could happen to Microsoft since those are the only places they have a chance to make good sales this year once the most popular games start to show up.

ofcouse if they cant supply enough PS3's in MAy like the ones NA/EU needs ,and there arent many good launch titles then JApan migh be their only option.

Zelda_fan
02-15-06, 11:51 AM
The PS3 hardware specs are a little bit lower than I Imagined.

only 256MB of RAM? Does even the Revolution have at least 512?

The 3.2 GHZ Power PC + 7 Cell processors is nice, but the GPU and RAM don't really look all that impressive.

Knot3D
02-15-06, 12:04 PM
^ I don't see the amount of main ram listed !

Zelda_fan
02-15-06, 12:05 PM
you have to scroll down

hazindu
02-15-06, 12:06 PM
It says coming spring 2006??!! THats like... now :DHere in South Texas they only have a few weeks till the mercury hits 90. At 100, its summer, and then they done lied to us, I reckon.(nana2)

|MaguS|
02-15-06, 12:07 PM
The PS3 hardware specs are a little bit lower than I Imagined.

only 256MB of RAM? Does even the Revolution have at least 512?

The 3.2 GHZ Power PC + 7 Cell processors is nice, but the GPU and RAM don't really look all that impressive.

All three systems have 512MB of RAM, Difference is that both the Revolution and the Xbox 360 have unified Memory while the PS3 has Dedicated Memory. In short the GPU and CPU of both the Revolution and the Xbox 360 have to share the Memory while the CPU and GPU of the PS3 have their own Dedicated Memory and can share either of the RAM if the Programmers choose to do it.

EDIT:
The PS3's Main RAM is also one of the fastest available, Its clocked at 3.2GHz. It's new RAM developed by RAMBUS specifically for the CELL CPU.

evilchris
02-15-06, 12:12 PM
lol @ "Full HD". What's 720p, half HD? I'm calling Fox and NBC right away to ask for "Full HD" instead of their partial HD.

Knot3D
02-15-06, 12:15 PM
Ah, thanx. Yes I see it now.

Well, mind you, that's Rambus' XDRAM. Very fast. However, it's strange to see the main mem bandwidth is a mere 25.6Gb then.

I would reason the Cell would account for alot of either geometry and or physics routines taking that load off the RSX ; then i would expect a somewhat more wide bus for main ram.

What's SB btw ? South Bridge ?

|MaguS|
02-15-06, 12:18 PM
Believe so...

Another note on the RAM, The PS2 even with its small amount of RAM was able to pull off many great looking titles thanks to its high RAM bandwidth that allowed the system to constantly stream and swap data. If the system had more then 4MB of Texture RAM it could have don't some amazing things... saddly Sony dropped the ball there... as they almost did with the PSP untill they listened to developers and upped its RAM.

ENU291
02-15-06, 12:39 PM
I don't see any new information posted about the PS3 specs.

Mr_LoL
02-15-06, 12:47 PM
I really do hope that the rework that controller as it looks horrible.

PeterJensen
02-15-06, 01:38 PM
lol so my new Sony Bravia LCD is not really HD? But wait...Sony almost glued the ****er with HD stickers?

Mr_LoL
02-15-06, 01:43 PM
lol so my new Sony Bravia LCD is not really HD? But wait...Sony almost glued the ****er with HD stickers?

Take it back to the shop and buy another brand.

PeterJensen
02-15-06, 01:46 PM
hehe i really like it :) But what is even more funny is, that i came with a small note in the box....It said "Ready for PS3 with HDMI"
But then it is really not ready for the ps3 ? :)

Well i dont care i got my x360.

evilchris
02-15-06, 02:03 PM
No Sony TV is ready for HD with PS3, even the 60" SXRD cannot accept the PS3's HDMI 1080p mode.

zoomy942
02-15-06, 02:10 PM
wow, spring? im not a console gamer at all, but its amazing they are officially claiming spring

steamedrice
02-15-06, 02:42 PM
ps3 can do 720p/1080i... but can do better with 1080p in the future. what are you guys crying about? technology is evolving too fast for you?

edit: wanted to add that the specs say "Full HD ( up to 1080p ) x 2" on that official site.

Good job putting that out of context, less hate please.

brady
02-15-06, 02:43 PM
Just picked this (http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2270&Itemid=2) up from nextgen.biz. Take it for what it's worth. With no "official" word from Sony, it's all really just talk to me. It's dated Feb, 15.

According to well-placed industry sources, PlayStation HUB will offer PlayStation 3 owners much the same services as Xbox Live, including chat, downloadable demos, independent games and online play. The service is also designed to support PSP online play as well as PS3. It's a departure from PlayStation 2's online strategy, widely regarded as vastly inferior to Microsoft's.

PlayStation HUB is being described to developers as a 'subscriber service' suggesting a monthly charge. We understand the service is being created by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, although this is unconfirmed.

Sony boss Howard Stringer is pushing for all media content to be available for distribution over PlayStation HUB, such as music and movies, thus opening up a powerful iTunes-like distribution network for Sony.

September launch

Developer sources are also suggesting that PlayStation 3 is currently scheduled to launch in September. A launch games release schedule seen by our sources states a September launch. Although the schedule does not explicitly state a hardware launch date, nor a launch territory, we understand Japan and U.S will both see the machine in September.

Some in the industry have taken this as a lead to speculate that September 16 would be a launch date in Japan (a Saturday before a national holiday) followed by September 21 in the U.S. These dates are not confirmed and, as always, launch dates are subject to constant revision.

A spokesperson for SCEA said the company does not comment on rumors. However, we understand Sony is preparing to announce HUB some time in the next few weeks.

Mr_LoL
02-15-06, 02:55 PM
So it looks like you will have to pay. Xbox owners how much does live cost for a year?

Ninja Prime
02-15-06, 03:07 PM
All three systems have 512MB of RAM, Difference is that both the Revolution and the Xbox 360 have unified Memory while the PS3 has Dedicated Memory. In short the GPU and CPU of both the Revolution and the Xbox 360 have to share the Memory while the CPU and GPU of the PS3 have their own Dedicated Memory and can share either of the RAM if the Programmers choose to do it.

Err that's wrong. Don't be a fanboy. You can't "share either of the RAM if the Programmers choose to do it." That's the downside of PS3's design. It only has 256mb of system ram and 256mb of graphics ram. There is no sharing if you need more of the other. That's why console developers tend to prefer unified memory. Of course, the upside is that they each have seperate bandwidths, so it should have twice the memory bandwidth available to the xbox for textures and such. Of course, considering that PS3 doesn't have on-die frame and Z-buffer memory probably a lot of that extra bandwidth will get used up there... hard to say which way is better, but for a console, unified seems smarter to me.

evilchris
02-15-06, 03:14 PM
So it looks like you will have to pay. Xbox owners how much does live cost for a year?

49.99/year