PDA

View Full Version : known-good hex-head dual-core hardware config?

cynbe
02-15-06, 08:33 PM
Does anyone know of a working hardware combination that supports six 1600x1200 flat-planel displays and also an FX-60 dual core chip? I've spent the last two weeks solid buying and returning mobos and graphics cards looking for such a combination, without luck. nVidia tech support either cannot or will not identify a working combination fitting this description.

Obviously, it would be nice if four of the displays could be driven by a pair of dual-headed PCI-Ex16 cards in a mobo with two such slots, but at this point I'd settle for anything...

Q
02-15-06, 08:38 PM
Just go with a machine that has 2 16x slots and a few 1x or 4x. Then buy Matrox cards, since they come in a 1x varient as well. Or even better, just buy two of thier triple head cards.

Matrox is known for being able to push a lot of displays with high quality. They defenitely support 1600 x 1200.

Any motherboard that supports the FX and with 2 16x slots should do.

If you want to do any gaming, you may want to go with NVidia cards, 2 PCI-E and one PCI, although the quality of your results may vary. I'm know for a fact people do this with Matrox with few issues, but I have seen a few NV users have issues with cards on different busses.

EDIT: Here's a link to a good forum that handles issues like this all the time.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/forum/forums.asp?tmpl=UltraMon