PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion Diary w/ New Screenshots

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
02-16-06, 09:54 PM
http://bethsoft.com/newsletter/devdiary_2.16.06.html

I dunno guys, plain and simple, these screenshots suck. It looks nothing like the original shots. I have no clue what system they are from though.

Q
02-16-06, 09:56 PM
PC, no doubt.

I just don't understand how the original shots could have looked THAT good while these look THIS blah. At the very worse, why not just scale it down for systems that can't handle the high end? Isn't that the GOOD thing about PC gaming...

::sighs::

jAkUp
02-16-06, 10:00 PM
Yea, its beginning to look less and less like a next gen game, and more like a last gen game.

Its amazing the transition that it made, the original screenshots were amazing looking. Now, it just looks ok. Hopefully they don't degrade the graphical quality any more than they have already appeared to do.

Q
02-16-06, 10:05 PM
Hopefully they don't degrade the graphical quality any more than they have already appeared to do.

Why shouldn't they, Jakup? PC Gamers have NOT been shafted enough, and it's my firm opinion that the shafting should continue indefinetly.

Shaft me, please.

:bash:

Marvel_us
02-16-06, 10:23 PM
Agreed with you guys. Wth happened to this game? I hope this isn't how the final game will look.

TierMann
02-16-06, 10:30 PM
Sorry. I asked them to tone down the graphics a bit so I can pull atleast 30fps with my 6800. My bad.

"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!" --Homer

-=DVS=-
02-16-06, 10:52 PM
Gah low res textures BOOOOO ! , looks like improved version of Morrowind.... lame. :thumbdwn:

j0j081
02-16-06, 11:20 PM
doesn't look that bad to me. anyway, wait til you see it in person or some decent videos to pass final judgement.

nutcrackr
02-16-06, 11:36 PM
Looks pretty much like I expected it would after all this time.

Acid Rain
02-16-06, 11:57 PM
looks like improved version of Morrowind.... lame. :thumbdwn:Yay! I loved Morrowind! ;)

Peoples-Agent
02-17-06, 08:04 AM
They have toned it down some but I have a feeling the game will be that good , it won't matter.

agentkay
02-17-06, 08:20 AM
IDK guys, I still have an optimistic and pessimistic feeling. The first picture doesnīt seem to have more than 4AF, and no AA and the textures nearby seem to be okay.

The screenshot in the Fighters Guild doesnīt seem to be all that different from previous screenshots. I think the devs said themselves that not every character of the 1000+ characters has the exact same quality like the major NPCs. The female in the background seems to apply to this.

And finally the water pic. We havenīt seen water that upclose, and while it doesnīt look very natural (Far Cry had more "realistic water), its not too bad, there isnīt much water in the game anyway. And the picture has again very low AF setting, which blurs the hell out of the textures on the path for instance that leads to the stone structures.

AF and AA make a huge difference in this game (kinda did in MW as well), so long as they didnīt take out parallax and normalmaps, I think it should be alright. Now my pessimistic voice tells me that the PC version will come out on a single layer DVD (5GB) and the 360 version on a double layer DVD (9GB), and they had to reduce the texture quality so much to make it fit on the single layer DVD. My pessimistic side sucks. lol

Beth. always said that "both versions will be visually equal, that if you have a high-end PC with a SM3 card, that youīll be able to max out all settings and it will look exactly the same like on the 360", except that you can of course increase resolution, AF and AA on the PC. They have said that several times, and I just think it would be totally stupid to change plans and downgrading the PC version, and end up looking like a bunch of liars.

msxyz
02-17-06, 10:04 AM
The better body plugin for Morrowind + Redd's heads really look more detailed than that.

Also, Where has normal and offset mapping gone ?

CaptNKILL
02-17-06, 10:35 AM
I thought those shots looked pretty good :o

Not really amazing, but the draw distance is awesome. Keep in mind that that first shot is snowy. That isnt flat white grass.

I think 16xAF would sharpen most of it right up.

As to the character face, its being lit by flames, its over bright and blurry. The texture isnt real high res, but it looks good to me.

I would have liked better textures all around, but I still think this looks great.

Superfly
02-17-06, 11:09 AM
yup tis going down hill this game.

Tygerwoody
02-17-06, 11:11 AM
Wow, such GREAT use of shadows!!!!!

/waits for Captainkill to make up an excuse for this game :rolleyes:

Edit: lmao too late. I didn't notice his post

CaptNKILL
02-17-06, 11:13 AM
Wow, such GREAT use of shadows!!!!!

/waits for Captainkill to make up an excuse for this game :rolleyes:

Edit: lmao too late. I didn't notice his post
:rolleyes:

Tygerwoody
02-17-06, 11:13 AM
btw, thats totally Xbox360 screenshots. Most all Xbox360 games are plagued with low res textures. Call of duty 2 anyone?

Tygerwoody
02-17-06, 11:14 AM
:rolleyes:
:D I'm just messin with ya CaptN, I just know this is "your" game ;)

CaptNKILL
02-17-06, 11:14 AM
btw, thats totally Xbox360 screenshots. Most all Xbox360 games are plagued with low res textures. Call of duty 2 anyone?
Fanboy!!!! lololol

:p heh, just kiddin

Tygerwoody
02-17-06, 11:16 AM
I was SOOO looking forward to this game... all the way up to the point where they removed the shadows from the game. After that point I lost interest ENTIRELY.

Q
02-17-06, 11:21 AM

NFS: MW 360 vs. PC Textures, anyone? :D

Tygerwoody
02-17-06, 11:34 AM
NFS: MW 360 vs. PC Textures, anyone? :D
bah, they are the same. The only reason NFS might look more sharp is because of the LOW resolution NFS: MW has on the 360. 1280x720 is rather low....

agentkay
02-17-06, 11:41 AM
bah, they are the same. The only reason NFS might look more sharp is because of the LOW resolution NFS: MW has on the 360. 1280x720 is rather low....

Not completely true. The 360 version is around 5.5GB size, and the PC version is smaller. I donīt remember how much, but it definitly were not 5.5GB. I *think* EA didnīt want to waste money on us PC gamers by releasing the PC version on a DVD9. If they had at least the balls to release a SDK or decrypt tool for the textures, I would personally replace the ground textures with high-res ones.

Tygerwoody
02-17-06, 12:34 PM
Not completely true. The 360 version is around 5.5GB size, and the PC version is smaller. I donīt remember how much, but it definitly were not 5.5GB. I *think* EA didnīt want to waste money on us PC gamers by releasing the PC version on a DVD9. If they had at least the balls to release a SDK or decrypt tool for the textures, I would personally replace the ground textures with high-res ones.
is the Xbox360 version on a dual layer DVD? Also, size of the game has nothing to do with the output.