PDA

View Full Version : C&C:The First Decade

rflair
02-17-06, 07:53 AM
Nothing new here, its a collection of all the C&C games released to date.

Great thing is it runs on XP64, just played some original C&C and a Red Alert skirmish match, EA did a good job getting some of these DOS games working in windows.

Rooster_11
02-17-06, 08:55 AM
Great news! I love C&C. I'll be picking it up today. :)

Lfctony
02-17-06, 09:08 AM
CnC Gold and CnC:RA95 have always been Windows games, but didn't work in WinXP or Win2000. Fixes for WinXP have been out before EA acquired Westwood. EA just integrated the fixes in this release.

Game shipped on Wednesday, hopefully I'll have it by Monday. The only game I don't own from those is CnC: Renegade which I bought but returned shortly afterwards. :(

|MaguS|
02-17-06, 09:35 AM
I would buy it if I already didn't own all the games seperatly, Sure it includes some extras and patches are already applied but still not worth it if you already own all the titles.

stncttr908
02-17-06, 01:28 PM
The reviews say it's more about generating hype for the next C&C than paying homage to the series' history.

CaptNKILL
02-17-06, 01:35 PM
The reviews say it's more about generating hype for the next C&C than paying homage to the series' history.
Which is ok with me :D

I might have to get this. Between my brother and I, we have purchased all of the C&C games that have ever been released except for the exp packs for TS, RA2 and Generals. I dont have them all anymore, but they are deffinitely worth it. They are all excellent games (though TS was a bit of a disapointment) and theyre a steal at this price. Especially to get the old ones working properly in Windows XP.

I cant wait to see what they come up with next... I actually thought Generals was the best C&C since Red Alert 1.

Lfctony
02-17-06, 01:37 PM
They mentioned Red Alert 3, which I hope will have a proper storyline like the first games.

Rooster_11
02-20-06, 03:12 PM
I'm having a problem playing Red Alert. Whenever I move the mouse the game skips.I can literally sit here and move the mouse in a circular motion and the game will pause until I stop moving the mouse. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Edge
02-20-06, 04:15 PM
I heard about this one. It sounds like a nice pack, I already have most of the games save for Generals and it's expansion (neither of which I was really a fan of), but it would be nice to have as a complete collection of the C&C games. Especially when they all come on a single DVD. No idea how they pull that one off, considering every C&C game has been 2 discs, plus a disc each expansion...that's 18 CDs of information all in a single DVD. Yeah, I think I'll join that movement to have all media distributed on DVD from now on.

It would've been nice if they could've touched up the old games though. Maybe use the superior PS1 version cinemas for C&C and Red Alert, and maybe go back and recompress the Tiberian Sun videos into higher quality, but eh, I guess it's better than nothing. Although you can tell this is more or less just EA milking off the success of Westwood once again.

Oh, and for those interested in it, Circuit City has it on sale this week for $29.99 in-store (they also have Age of Empires 3 CE for $34.99, if you're in the mood for strategy games).

RAY16
02-20-06, 04:51 PM
Apparently they couldn't figure out how to get the videos for both sides to work with a single disc for RA1 so they only included the videos for the allied side....either they couldn't figure out how to get it to work or they didn't really try very hard.

And it's not like it's hard to get original copies of C&C and RA1 to work on WinXP, there's a patched DLL that fixes the games that has been around forever.

But I suppose if you don't own a lot of C&C games then it's a good pack, if you don't mind only having the videos on the allied side working for RA1 and the fact that the install sequences were removed. Otherwise it's just a lame way for EA to drum up interest in C&C again in preparation for whatever is next, like the reviewers are saying.

Edge
02-20-06, 05:29 PM
Apparently they couldn't figure out how to get the videos for both sides to work with a single disc for RA1 so they only included the videos for the allied side....either they couldn't figure out how to get it to work or they didn't really try very hard.

Wow, that really sucks. I'm surprised they would leave out something so major, but then again I guess this is EA we're talking about. Hopefully someone will find a way to fix it and release a DVD image of the set with the videos for RA1 working properly.

Kinda sad to hear that the installation sequences were removed too, those were actually quite neat and for RA2 it gave you some decent backstory on the game.

Raisen
02-21-06, 07:16 AM
I'm actually excited about this... Because maybe they'll release a complete Wing Commander pack... And Wing Commander is the best series ever.

superklye
02-21-06, 07:36 AM
Next C&C game? Has anything been said about it yet?

RAY16
02-21-06, 01:34 PM
Useful info if you've already bought the game.

Getting C&C95 working online: http://strike-team.net/nuke/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=82

Getting RA1 working online: http://strike-team.net/nuke/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=84

Command & Conquer with The Covert Operations

-Many (if not most) players encounter a memory referencing error and crash to desktop when they bring any type of unit near the top left corner of most (or all) single player campaign maps (potential workaround fix, did not work for me: http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=43984&messageID=378068񜓔 ).

-The music tracks that were included with "The Covert Operations" are not in the game (workaround fix, credit to WarGears7: Manually copy the
SCORES.MIX file from ~/Command & Conquer The First Decade/Command & Conquer(tm)/covert to ~/Command & Conquer The First Decade/Command & Conquer(tm) (up one directory). Make sure you backup your original SCORES.MIX, incase something goes wrong. ).

-Although their exact purpose is not known, the updated Covert Ops versions of the files CONQUER.MIX and GENERAL.MIX in the /covert folder are not used by the game when it is run, though they should be.

-There is no way to play the game in "funpark" mode (In the original DOS version, one could start the game in funpark mode by typing "c& c.exe funpark" instead of just "c&c.exe" into the command line. This was a sweet easter egg, as it included 5 secret levels. In some of these levels, you fought against the dinosaurs, and in the other ones, you were able to play as the dinosaurs.).

-If you click on "Internet Game," an error box appears displaying "WChat not installed. Please install from either CD." Internet play does not work.

----
Command & Conquer Red Alert with The Aftermath & Counterstrike

-FMV (video) sequences do not work for the Soviet campaign (workaround fix: http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?messageID=369000&sls=3&threadID=42969&lkey=Q-G3SQJtzEfip5qTCmb3owAAKDw ).

-The music tracks that were included with "The Aftermath" and "Counterstrike" are not in the game.

-When trying to access the map editor (by clicking the EDWIN.EXE in the Red Alert folder), Red Alert says that the game CD needs to inserted in order to continue (workaround fix: Create a shortcut to EDWIN.EXE. Right click the shortcut, and select properties. In the target box, add "-cd" after the target. Make sure you include the set of quotes around the command. An example is: "C: \Program Files\Command & Conquer The First Decade\Command & Conquer Red Alert (tm)\EDWIN.EXE" "-cd" .).

-If you play the secret ant missions, the game gives an error message "Unable to read scenario" as soon as you reach the second mission (To access the secret ant missions, hold shift while you are at the main menu screen and click in the top right corner of the screen.).

- If you click on "Internet Game," an error box appears displaying "WChat not installed. Please install from either CD." Internet play does not work.

----
Other Problems

- There seem to be many less frequent compatiblity issues regarding the earlier versions of C&C (Gold, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun). Several people have crash-to- desktop issues, installation issues, resolution issues, etc.

EA's C&C Forum (where the above quoted info is from): http://forums.easports.com/mboards/category.jspa?sls=2&categoryID=34

Edge
02-21-06, 05:11 PM
Yeesh, what a mess...they sure seemed to screw up this release. And here I was thinking that the release of the pack would bring more online players to some of the older games...guess not.