PDA

View Full Version : BF2 + SLI + Vsync............uuuuugh!

balex99
02-17-06, 02:09 PM
Has anyone had any luck with getting the posted combination working? After playing around some I did get it to work with SLI AA @ 8x. It was running under SFR(horizontal bar) but it is too much of a hit. Running at 30fps or less. I understand if Nvidia's drivers can't do it but why am I able to run in SLI AA with it working?

This is the only gripe I have with SLI. Nvidia PLEASE fix this. It's the only game I am playing right now.

ya know.......If they could give us SLI AA 4x that would be fine too. 'hint hint'

OWA
02-17-06, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure how to test it. It does seem like SLI puts an extra load on the system so when vsync is enabled in the game, I get slightly lower framerates.

When using SLI, I was mostly showing 55fps with a few dips to 45'ish (for some reason, with SLI+vysnc I never get the normal 60-30-etc., instead I'll only drop to like 45 or 50, for example).

When disabling SLI, I was pegged at 60fps the whole time. I'll see if I can tax the cards more to make things more obvious.

Edit: Okay, I enabled 8xS AA and forced 16xAF. Once I did that, I got 30fps from a single card and around 37-38fps with SLI. So, it appears to be doing something at least. BTW, I had to force vsync on from the control panel. I checked but couldn't find an in-game option for vsync. I thought there was one. Did I just miss it?

balex99
02-17-06, 06:58 PM
OWA, are you saying you can run vsync and sli in BF2? If I enable vsync(forced in the control panel) with sli, the sli bar will be present but vsync is not running(fraps is above the refresh rate and I see tearing). I have tried AFR, AFR2, and SFR. The only time I have seen the sli bar and vsync is running(max fps is the refresh and no tearing) is with SLI AA as the SLI mode, and that is using Coolbits 8. According to the sli bar, the sli mode that it is in with SLI AA is SFR(horizontal).

Everything is done in the Global setting. Game profile is unchanged.

OWA
02-17-06, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I just use whatever mode is predefined in the profile and my framerate never goes about 60 (my refresh rate). I'm using the predefined game profile. BTW, the load balancer usually doesn't show up when SLI+vsync is enabled.

nekrosoft13
02-17-06, 07:26 PM
=BTW, the load balancer usually doesn't show up when SLI+vsync is enabled.

they really should fix that, there is no real solid proof that SLI is running

OWA
02-17-06, 07:30 PM
I've seen someone write that Nvidia said that's normal and it is running but yeah, it would be better if there was more visible proof. The only reason I think it is working is b/c I get slightly higher framerates with sli+vsync than I do single gpu+vsync. But, it's rarely a big difference (just 7 or 8fps at most).

Edit: I took a quick look for the post mentioning what Nvidia said but didn't find the source yet.

Peoples-Agent
02-17-06, 08:04 PM
Strange.... the bar doesn't work with VSync enabled in AFR modes btw, that was also mentioned on the nVidia site. I basically used nHancer to click AFR2 mode overwriting the current one which gives worse performance for me, and then enabled vsync in the nvCP as it's not within the game itself.

Another good option, is to set VSync to app controlled, and then ingame... goto the console and type game.lockfps ** ( ** being your chosen frame rate, best to match it to your monitor refresh rate )

This way I get minimal tearing, if any ...plus I get fluent frame rates throughout.

OWA
02-17-06, 08:23 PM
btw, that was also mentioned on the nVidia site.
Is it part of a FAQ or something on their site? I've still been searching for where I read that and haven't been able to find it. Actually, was it at slizone?

nekrosoft13
02-17-06, 08:24 PM
I've seen someone write that Nvidia said that's normal and it is running but yeah, it would be better if there was more visible proof. The only reason I think it is working is b/c I get slightly higher framerates with sli+vsync than I do single gpu+vsync. But, it's rarely a big difference (just 7 or 8fps at most).

Edit: I took a quick look for the post mentioning what Nvidia said but didn't find the source yet.

i still have this weird issue in NFS MW, and few other games, i think i told you about it before

AFR with v-sync off and I get 80fps in MENU(bar is there), i go to options and turn on v-sync, and my FPS drop to 30fps(bar is gone).

so i'm under the impression when i enable v-sync, SLI doesn't work

Peoples-Agent
02-17-06, 08:27 PM
It is working, generally.
Reason I say this, when I enable VSync with the AFR modes, my scores in Fear ingame test rocket up beyond what the single GPU offers.

In NFS:MW , that games an oddity anyways, I have found the most fluent way to play it ... is to use the SLI AA x8 mode w/ vsync on.

Although the frame rate isn't as high, it gives the game a smoother feel. I felt NFS:MW was a tad jittery using the AFR modes with our without VSync, and not in a slowdown sense. Hard to explain, but that game most definately needs patching.

Peoples-Agent
02-17-06, 08:29 PM
Go here, www.tweaksrus.com and try out their XG 83.60s , my games are loving those so far. If you wish to try them, don't forget to run Driver Cleaner inbetween, I couldn't live without these drivers nowadays, I just find the IQ on Vanilla drivers to be so bland.

nekrosoft13
02-17-06, 08:32 PM
last time i installed 83.60 (well and 83.62) i was stuck in 800x600 with 4 bit color,

Agent, do you know you can patch that 4550 to 4551? you will get LabelFlash support

Peoples-Agent
02-17-06, 08:47 PM
I never knew that lol
Last time I checked it wasn't possible, but I haven't hit the cdfreaks site for awhile where I usually find that sort of info.
You have a link? ...give me something to play about with tomorrow.

nekrosoft13
02-17-06, 08:50 PM
I never knew that lol
Last time I checked it wasn't possible, but I haven't hit the cdfreaks site for awhile where I usually find that sort of info.
You have a link? ...give me something to play about with tomorrow.

only thing you gonna find on cdfreaks saying that its possible and no links allowed (pirate)

but i done it to my 3550, patched it to 4551, i gained DVD-RAM support and Labelflash ;)

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=166962

you can find some clues, what to look for

balex99
02-17-06, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Wish I wasn't at work now so I could try a few things. Will def try those XG drivers.:D

balex99
02-18-06, 09:02 PM
Well, Vsync is def working with sli. Tried it with single card and sli and there is about a 30% difference. However, with 1 card and vsync I get around 30fps and with 2 cards and vsync I get around 40fps. If I turn off vsync I run around 50-80fps. Looks like I'll leave vsync off. Tearing is not as bad as the frame loss. Still, I can't believe there is that much loss with vsync.

nekrosoft13
02-18-06, 09:22 PM
try enabling v-sync in nvidia control panel instead of game.

balex99
02-18-06, 11:53 PM
Yea, thats where I did it(in the CP). BF2 does not have the option in its settings. I tried the game.lockfps 60 in the console and it worked but I did not like the looks of it. Seemed to tear in just one level of the screen. Gonna have some friends try vsync with their machines(similar to mine w/out sli) in the same area of the game and see how the numbers compare. Might be I have something fouled up. Should know tomorrow.

Peoples-Agent
02-19-06, 10:47 AM
Another option is to try using SFR mode, that hardly tears if at all even without VSync on.

balex99
02-19-06, 06:12 PM
Well, got with a friend of mine and did the test. Numbers show I have no problem. He is getting the same as me when using single 7800GT.

On another note, I can't remember where I saw this, why does the fps(according to Fraps) drop to half the refresh(under vsync) when fps is less than refresh? When playing w/vsync enabled, I am either at 60fps or 30fps. No in between. If I am running sli, it's either 60fps or 40fps. My friends machine does the same thing. Is this just the way vsync works?

On a final note, after all this testing, I have come to the conclusion that the tearing is not that bad. My only regret though is that I have now pointed out the tearing to my friend and he never noticed it before. Sorry Fuelrod.

Will try the SFR mode to see if there is any difference.

Peoples-Agent
02-19-06, 08:07 PM
VSync basically halves the refresh rate, that's what it does when it can't keep up with the 60fps (or whatever matches monitor refresh rate).
Why you hear alot of talk about trible buffering, only drops it to 45.
Shame there isn't a means to get this effectively working with SLI AFR modes yet. (An app called DXTweaker makes this possible for Direct3D games, except the AFR limitation)

balex99
02-19-06, 08:46 PM
I'll try the Dxtweaker program again. I am a beta tester but everytime I tried it, I didn't think vsync was working. Now that I know that it is(just no SLI bars), maybe I can find a good combination.

I still don't understand when I use 1 gpu the fps drops from 60 to 30 but when I use 2 gpu's it goes from 60 to 40.