PDA

View Full Version : Bfg Tech Ppu Hype!!! March!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tikiman44
02-18-06, 12:56 AM
Hey check out the BFG TECH website:

http://www.bfgtech.com/future/

IT LOOKS LIKE THE Physx Processor will be here soon.

(nana2)

:jumping:

If it makes UT2007 even better I am all for it!

jAkUp
02-18-06, 01:05 AM
Yes that is definetely for the Ageia PPU. Supposly the cards are already made, and boxed, just waiting for content in games.

Not only UT2007, but also GRAW will also support hardware physics based effects, among a bunch of other games.

I have to say though, for the launch of a new unproven hardware, the amount of developers they have backing Ageia technologies quite impressive to say the least.

I will get one for sure, although with SLI and an X-Fi, I am a little limited on empty PCI slots. I wish they had another alternative.

In any event, the next few years should prove to be extremely interesting for for ingame physics, realtime freeflowing water? You betcha. :D

Tikiman44
02-18-06, 01:07 AM
I would certainly have to say the same thing. Ageia seems to have a lot of support!

snowmanwithahat
02-18-06, 01:20 AM
I would certainly have to say the same thing. Ageia seems to have a lot of support!

yeh they do.... they bought out several smaller companies that produce physics enginges.... they're really done their homework... hopefully the card will really change things

Digital_Trans
02-18-06, 01:24 AM
Does this mean I need to upgrade from a BFG 7800 GTX 512MB card anytime soon? :(

superklye
02-18-06, 01:34 AM
Does this mean I need to upgrade from a BFG 7800 GTX 512MB card anytime soon? :(
Pfft. You're still using that old hunk of junk? What a 10053r!

:p

Digital_Trans
02-18-06, 08:36 AM
Pfft. You're still using that old hunk of junk? What a 10053r!

:p

You so Crazy~~~ :D

keith33
02-18-06, 01:06 PM
This is really cool but I wish a company like NV would build the chip into newer video cards as opposed to yet another add on. It just seems like everyday gaming becomes only for the rich. I know I'll end up buying this at some point but it's becoming really hard to stay on top of technology for the best visual experience. I guess it depends on how much this costs to really determine how many people will buy it. No game developer will support it if the card is $500 and only jakUp buys it lol.

SH64
02-18-06, 01:13 PM
No , i dont think we will be getting it soon.

Imbroglio
02-18-06, 02:07 PM
No game developer will support it if the card is $500 and only jakUp buys it lol.

lmfao :rofl

Rakeesh
02-18-06, 02:46 PM
Yes that is definetely for the Ageia PPU. Supposly the cards are already made, and boxed, just waiting for content in games.

That wouldn't really make any sense. If they waited until later to manufacture them, theres a good chance that the cost per unit for production would decrease. And in all likelyhood, it is going to be another year before we ever see any games that take advantage of this.

This is really cool but I wish a company like NV would build the chip into newer video cards as opposed to yet another add on. It just seems like everyday gaming becomes only for the rich. I know I'll end up buying this at some point but it's becoming really hard to stay on top of technology for the best visual experience. I guess it depends on how much this costs to really determine how many people will buy it. No game developer will support it if the card is $500 and only jakUp buys it lol.

That'll just make your video card more expensive, and the next time you need to replace your PPU when your GPU isn't obsolete, or vice versa, you'll need to replace both anyways. Big waste IMO. Better to just have them separate. Do what I do and buy them after the hype dies down, they are much cheaper at that point.

I can play all of the latest games at high framerates with tip top graphics settings (except FSAA of course) and I hardly spend anything at all on computers.

The trick is to set hard limits on what you'll spend on any individual component, for example I have never spent more than $200 on a video card before. I am going to set a limit of $100 on these physics cards.

Smokey
02-18-06, 04:14 PM
If it is going to make Ghost Recon that much better, I'll be getting one even if its just for that game, Im hoping to be playing GR for more than a year. :)

jAkUp
02-18-06, 04:56 PM
Yea, Ghost Recon next month is enough for me to snag one :)

keith33
02-18-06, 04:56 PM
Same here. But what about the rumors on integrated PPU on GPU's (G80?)?

I wait until more games have support for PPUs.

That would be an amazing idea, hopefully Nvidia carries through with it. I don't have room for all these add-on cards lol.

BTW, your country kicked Canada's butt in men's hockey today, damn you *shakes fist*, it's like a national day of mourning here or something.:( Congrats though!

Q
02-18-06, 05:19 PM
I'm waiting for several in-depth reviews before I lay down the cash.

superklye
02-18-06, 07:40 PM
I think they're going to have both, but the initial cards are PCI

Rakeesh
02-18-06, 08:54 PM
How do you run out of expansion slots with todays motherboards and technology?

All I have is a PCI-express video card and thats it. I guess some of you guys have crap for onboard audio so you buy add-on soundcards, and then there are the SLI guys, so whats that 3 expansion slots in use?

Unless some of you guys don't have built in ethernet support in your motherboards? Or you use extra hard drive controllers? Or you are still on dialup and have a modem?

Everybody should be able to fit at least 5 expansion slots on todays motherboards, four should be no big deal, let alone three or two. And we don't have ISA anymore so there shouldn't be a wasted slot.

jAkUp
02-18-06, 08:59 PM
I only have 2 free PCI slots my bottom card takes up 1 PCI slot, and that leaves 2 free. 1 is used by the X-fi, the other is dangerously close to my bottom card.

keith33
02-18-06, 09:00 PM
slaWter: the Canadians out-shot you guys by a fair margin but your goalie Martin Gerber was simply spectacular. The final was 2-0 Swiss.

Alphawolf: Look at the A8N32-SLI Deluxe, there's 2 PCI slots and one of them is between the PCIe x16 slots and the other is useless if you're running a dual slot 2nd card.

snowmanwithahat
02-18-06, 09:43 PM

what you're saying is ridiculous, you have a high end system, not the best, but very very good, gaming is still perfecly enjoyable on even my setup, which is very cheap compared to what you set as a standard for technology

keith33
02-18-06, 11:13 PM
what you're saying is ridiculous, you have a high end system, not the best, but very very good, gaming is still perfecly enjoyable on even my setup, which is very cheap compared to what you set as a standard for technology

LOL honestly it's a personal preference thing. I get headaches when I see jaggies so I always need at least 2x AA and my monitor's native res is 1680x1050. So what I consider decent is to have my native res, 2x aa, and 16x af, i can't do that will all games right now, and it looks like I need a physics card to do so in future games.

jAkUp
02-18-06, 11:24 PM
A physics card won't allow you to increase the resolution in games, its strictly for CPU based physics calculations. It will take an offload from your CPU, AA/AF and resolution is all GPU based.

keith33
02-18-06, 11:36 PM
A physics card won't allow you to increase the resolution in games, its strictly for CPU based physics calculations. It will take an offload from your CPU, AA/AF and resolution is all GPU based.

So that means if you had for example an FX-60, it would be the same as a 3000+ and a physics card?? Or something along that comparison jakUp? I'm really curious about this because I haven't read much into it.

jAkUp
02-18-06, 11:53 PM
Well, not really, a PPU is much more suited for physics than any CPU. It has onboard memory, among other things. Much how a graphics card is more suited for graphics.

The card won't help framerate in GPU intensive scenes (high resolution or AA/AF) only physics intensive scenes. Also, the PPU should allow for greater phsyics detail, and more advanced physics like freeflowing real time water, and smoke, ragdolls, houses made out of individual bricks, etc.

Developers have been holding back on these types of settings because it would be much too CPU intensive. With the PPU, they no longer have to.

As for the price, it should be around $200.

ViN86
02-19-06, 01:14 AM
if the benefits they provide are noticeable (in terms of CPU load and what not) and they work well, ill be getting one.
also, i gotta get an X-Fi card before i start throwin cash around.

multithreaded games + PPU = :drooling: