PDA

View Full Version : Acer Laptops

imtim83
02-18-06, 02:07 PM
Would you buy a Acer Laptop even though you can't get a onsite warranty with their laptops

Blackcat
02-18-06, 02:16 PM
No, because with all the coupons you can find online I know I could buy a better, and cheaper computer through Dell.

imtim83
02-18-06, 02:19 PM
I would rather a IBM laptop. Better build quality than dell and better support! IBM stands behind their laptops. Yes I know another company like took over IBM laptops. Forgot the name. IBM laptops are still just as good now as they were before.

Starscream
02-18-06, 02:21 PM
I ocassionally sell them because they are so cheap. BUT I would NEVER sell one without the extended 3 year warranty that covers accidental damage.

imtim83
02-18-06, 02:28 PM
I ocassionally sell them because they are so cheap. BUT I would NEVER sell one without the extended 3 year warranty that covers accidental damage.

I was going to buy a Acer Laptop because of that reason too. You got so many features for such a low price, except of course a dedicated video card. Which I excepted.

Though even if you buy the Acer Laptop extended 3 year warranty that does not include onsite repair for the laptop and Acer does not offer onsite warranty for their laptops.

This is why I did not buy a Acer Laptop and never will. If they had a onsite laptop warranty I would but only if they did.

When you have to send the Acer Laptop in for repairs you have to pay shipping to them and it can take a while for Acer to get your laptop back to you. Sometimes they don't fix the problem the first time either.

Blackcat
02-18-06, 02:29 PM
Yeah, dell support sucks but the quality of their laptops is very good now. I love the laptop I have now and have had no problems with it. Good luck with your search.

imtim83
02-18-06, 02:39 PM
Yeah, dell support sucks but the quality of their laptops is very good now. I love the laptop I have now and have had no problems with it. Good luck with your search.

Are all dell laptops very good quality now including any model or just some of them right now?

Banko
02-18-06, 02:42 PM
The acer 8100 is a very good deal and Dell doesn't have anything that can compete with it. (for that price) Though personally I would just buy either a Sager 3880 or a 5320.

Blackcat
02-18-06, 02:46 PM
I was not sure about dell when I first ordered my laptop because of all the bad things I had heard about dells in the past. However, I did a lot of research, specifically on the xps, and got a lot of good reviews on them. Check out this site, http://www.notebookforums.com/ Maybe it will help you decide what you want to do.

Starscream
02-18-06, 02:49 PM
When you have to send the Acer Laptop in for repairs you have to pay shipping to them and it can take a while for Acer to get your laptop back to you. Sometimes they don't fix the problem the first time either.

When you buy the best warranty they have, they pay the shipping.

imtim83
02-18-06, 02:56 PM
When you buy the best warranty they have, they pay the shipping.

Ok but that still leaves Acer taking a while for them to get your laptop back to you and sometimes they don't fix the problem the first time either.

Banko
02-18-06, 02:57 PM
Also Circuit City started to carry Acer laptops so you can go there and buy one with Accidental Damage Protection...

Blackcat
02-18-06, 02:57 PM
The acer 8100 is a very good deal and Dell doesn't have anything that can compete with it. (for that price) Though personally I would just buy either a Sager 3880 or a 5320.

Huh, I just found this xps m170 for 1699.00 after a $500.00 off coupon.http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/basket.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&itemtype=CFG

Banko
02-18-06, 03:03 PM
Huh, I just found this xps m170 for 1699.00 after a $500.00 off coupon.http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/basket.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&itemtype=CFG
That coupon doesn't seem to work, but w/ Coupons that is a very nice deal. Though the 8100 is $1500. Also in general there anre't always coupons...

NightFire
02-18-06, 03:04 PM
I'd buy an Acer based on the low prices, and take the chance of bad build quality possibly causing the computer to malfunction.

Blackcat
02-18-06, 03:07 PM
Banko, I was just on the dell site and used this coupon code to get that price: V8PKH1PZJ3G?DN Usually there are always dell coupons and if they expire wait a week and you will find more. http://www.notebookforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

ew2x4
02-18-06, 03:40 PM
Has the OP every had any experience with Dell's onsite help? I have. In my architecture studio, everyone has a Dell (Me along with a couple others built our own). In the first week, there were about 5 that went down (out of 80 or so). They all had onsite coverage. The average time it took for a Dell "Technician" to get there to fix it was 2 weeks. How do you base your purchase on that? I would base my purchase on AVOIDING that service.

$n][pErMan
02-18-06, 11:24 PM
I have sold tons of Acer laptops. They are great for the price... and I have yet to have someone come back to me with an issue with one. Solid little units... I like em :)

ViN86
02-19-06, 12:23 AM
I would rather a IBM laptop. Better build quality than dell and better support! IBM stands behind their laptops. Yes I know another company like took over IBM laptops. Forgot the name. IBM laptops are still just as good now as they were before.
Linovo took over IBM laptops, but they still have the IBM brand name and same model numbers

i have a T42 (Pentium M 1.8GHz, 512MB PC2700, Radeon 9600). awesome laptop, handles everything you throw at it with ease. my school has a contract with IBM and we get the top of the line thinkpad (its not even sold anywhere else, the package they make is only for our school) bundled with about $1500 in software. its an amazing deal. im waiting til im a senior, then im gonna get a new one :D

Sazar
02-19-06, 01:09 AM
Acer is aggresively pricing all their components at the moment. It seems a push to gain some extra market share.

Look at their share in the monitor market, they are currently the fastest growing monitor brand on the field, eating up essentially a massive chunk of Samsung's share. The other 3, Dell, Gateway and HP continue to hold on or have small gains but Acer just went BOOM.

Same thing likely on the notebook front. They have decent products but, warranties are important IMO for notebooks.

Dell makes good stuff, Lenovo/IBM makes good stuff and toshiba makes good stuff.

Those are basically the only notebooks I would buy on the pc side, apple with their new core duo/solo based products should make a little more headway this year.

Dell has a new 15" widescreen based notebook coming out very soon, replacing the current 6000. Will offer core duo/solo just like the e1705/9400 model. Will be called the e15xx (e for entertainment, 15 for display size, xx is designation to be determined, probably 05 or 06 I would wager).

I've been playing with one for a few days :)

Sazar
02-19-06, 01:11 AM
Has the OP every had any experience with Dell's onsite help? I have. In my architecture studio, everyone has a Dell (Me along with a couple others built our own). In the first week, there were about 5 that went down (out of 80 or so). They all had onsite coverage. The average time it took for a Dell "Technician" to get there to fix it was 2 weeks. How do you base your purchase on that? I would base my purchase on AVOIDING that service.

You get what you pay for.

There are different service levels.

If a business has items that are critical and buys cheaper service, they will get just that quality of service. If a company has critical components and buys gold tech support with 4x10 service, they will get that. This applies to all companies, not just dell.

NBD service is the recommended level.

zoomy942
02-19-06, 01:11 AM
if you wait just a little longer, im writing up a how-to on making your own laptop:)

Son Goku
02-19-06, 01:44 AM
With limited service options, probably not, even if it is cheap... I've built/repaired PCs, but a bit skittish opening up a laptop. No experience on them really, and even then desktop parts are easy to find locally or online. Laptop parts, outside of expansion cards and other accessory devices (which can be easily found), not even sure where one would go...

I'm not sure how Acer does wrt laptops, but the last Acer product I had, which was a monitor actially...that stupid monitor died practically while the comp was under warranty (9 months latter) and needed replacing. The replacement also died after a short life... Perhaps not the best track record to go bye, but I've had better luck with other products in the past.

FastM
02-20-06, 09:47 AM
Iv'e got the Acer F4005.

Very happy with it, only downside i can think of is the BIOS is not programmed to detect DDR400 memory (set at 333)

Aside from that, Im very pleased with it and i would buy another Acer in the Future. (had it little over 6 months)