PDA

View Full Version : Watercooling Help

Q
02-18-06, 11:22 PM
My system runs way too hot. I think its due to the low air intake from my Antec 3700BQE. The front 120MM must be slimline, and there are so many turns for the air to take, it never gets to my video card. I have a 120mm Panaflo for exhaust, another for circulation, and an 80mm Panaflo for further circulation. Too bad its just pushing around hot air. I'm using a Sunbeam Rheobus so it doesn't sound like a tornado, but even cranked ALL the way it doesn't do much.

I don't want to mod the case externally. An additional intake in the side of the case near the video card would likely do fine, but I'm just not feeling it. Watercooling is the only other option, I think.

I've been researching this for a few days, and have come across a lot of good information. The problem I'm having, is that I want to cool EVERYTHING in my case, and there isn't a lot of good info on it. Most enthusiast sites say to only cool the VC and CPU and don't give a good reason on why to not cool the other components. (I'm thinking due to flow rate)

I haven't had any problem finding components, I just want some general guidance and tips.

What I want to cool:

A64 4800X2
7800 GTX
Memory on card
Voltage regulator for above card (read its needed for stability since the airflow over it is gone in water cooling)
System Memory
2 Hard Drives
System Chipset

I want to cool everything so I don't need ANY internal system fans, FYI. Silence and adequate cooling are the keys for this project.

I was looking at using a lot of Koolance parts, since this is my first watercooling build and they look noob friendly. The system I was looking at came close to $700. Ouch. I was going to use the Exos 2, and the cheapest cooler for everything but the GTX, which was going to use the block that covers the video ram, too. I chose the Exos 2 because even though its very expensive, it has the guarenteed capacity of 700W of cooling, is external, and is all wrapped up in one neat package. Also, it will make changing system components MUCH easier, as it won't be so cramped.

I just want some opinions and advice. I think its way too much cash to cool everything I want to, but if I leave out cooling things like the hard drives, chipset, and memory, I'll have to throw in at least one internal fan, if not two, which defeats my goal. Plus, it would only save $150 on the heafty price tag.

Well...let me have it!

Imbroglio
02-19-06, 11:54 AM
i don't actually own a watercooling system i have just been doing a lot of research on them as of lately as i am thinking about getting into it. from what i've gathered, the loudest (and hottest) components in (most) ppl's systems are the cpu-gpu-nb fans. by removing the heat off of the hottest components in the system, having a fan or two push the non-heated air around the other components will drastically reduce the heat in your system because the hottest components are now being cooled via the water.

a question for you would be, do you plan on having a open ended tube to remove air bubbles from the system, or do you plan on using a resy? using a resy tends to cool the system even more strictly because the water sitting in the resevoir doesn't get flushed immediately back into the system and it cools down before being pumped back in. somthing else to look at would be you psu, we laugh at ppl like jakUp who have a 1kw psu, yet watercooling components, such as pumps are a huge drain on the psu, so if you only have a 4/500psu, that is also something else you might want to look into replacing.

back to your question, is 700 a lot for an indepth water cooling system such as the one you are looking to get into, yes. my opinion would be, cool down you cpu/gpu/nb with one system. if the system is still too loud for your tastes, or still not cool enough, then i would add another system, preferably with smaller tubing, and then you could add in a smaller pump, to cool your memory/voltage regulator/hds. i think that you are going to find that by removing a majority of the heat off of the hottest components in your system, your ambient temps will drop and you probably won't need to cool down with the second smaller system. a 120mm panaflo or equivalent would probably suffice and add minimal noise to the system.

Clay
02-19-06, 12:45 PM
Something else to consider is that the pumps can be noisy. You can get enclosures for them to help dampen their noise. The PolarFLO pump that I used here (http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/watercooling_polarflo/index.shtml) was of very good quality but it was noisier than I had expected.

To maintain good flow, some people will use more than one radiator & pump. They'll create a circuit for cooling the CPU and GPU/memory and then another circuit for colling HDs and anything else.

Watercooling is neat, but it is not maintenance-free. A bit more micro management is required on your part to ensure a clean, balanced mixture, avoid algae (too acidic) as well as avoiding corrosion on your aluminum and copper parts (too basic).

Good luck!

Q
02-19-06, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm sort of leaning away from it at the moment, but that could all change in the next hour!

I am planning on having a resy in the system. In line is just a little to advanced for a first time job, I think. Don't want to overcomplicate and end up soaking the system.

I was planning on being a noob and going with the Fluid Xp or equivilent. Something that would not hurt my system, even if catastophic faliure occured.

I've heard that some pumps can be very loud. That's why I was leaning towards that Exos 2. Reviews say its whisper quiet all the way around. But you pay for it dearly...

I had been considering the 1kw or 800kw PC Power and Cooling for a while, even before Jakup got it. However, I just don't place THAT much strain on a power supply....I don't think... I have an Antec Truepower 550. With the pumps, I might be stretching that, so thanks for reminding me about that limit.

I was considering the 2 system route, but I think that's going to effect the mobility of the system. I'm in college and do have to move it from time to time. The Exos allows easier transportation than any other external setup, and if I added another outer system it would nullify this. I don't want internal, because I want all the heat out of the system...

Thanks again for the tips guys! I'll let you know if I just decide to destroy my case or go the watercooling route.

Zelda_fan
02-19-06, 02:28 PM
Get an EXOS. It's a little more expensive than most solutions, but it's VERY easy to install - almost foolproof, and the cooling perfromance is quite good. I have one myself.

Don't buy the EXOS2, just see if you can find an EXOS Al. It's a lot cheaper, and the cooling performance is good if you pair it with something like a Koolance CPU-300 cooler. That is what I did and it dropped my CPU temp by about 30 C.

jAkUp
02-19-06, 02:29 PM
Yea some pumps are noisey, my current one is kinda noisey, but not nearly as loud as any CPU fan.

My Exos was super quiet though. I couldn't even hear the damn thing. If you want quiet, go Exos.

As for your powersupply, you will be fine with what you have now, pumps don't use that much power.

Q
02-19-06, 03:11 PM
I was looking at the Exos Al, but I don't think that it would be enough to handle my whole system. If I'm doing this, I'm going ALL out. :D

Why did you get rid of the Exos, jAkUp?

jAkUp
02-19-06, 04:20 PM
It worked pretty good, but I just wanted something internal.

Q
02-19-06, 09:44 PM
It worked pretty good, but I just wanted something internal.

Now I'm going with something internal...well mostly.

The only outside part is going to be my radiator, which will be connected via a rad box to the fan mount on the back of my case. The rest I'm planning to have internal. Here's what I want to inlclude.

Black Ice X-Flow Xtreme III Radiator (3 120MM fan version)
Priomochill Low Profile Shroud
Swiftech MCM-120 Radbox
Swiftech Storm CPU Block
Swiftech MCRES-Micro Resy
Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Koolance NV2-L06 for the 7800. Covers Core and Ram.
Koolance CHC 35 Block for voltage regs on 7800
Swiftech MCW30 Block for Chipset
Koolance HD 40 L06 for Harddrives
Koolance Ram Block
Clearflex Hose
Stainless Steel Clamps
Fluid XP (non-conductive)
Panaflo and Antec fans already purchased, as well as a Sunbeam Rheostat for control

If you have experience with any of these parts and have an opinion, let me hear it!