PDA

View Full Version : There's still something to be said for "old" music technology

saturnotaku
02-20-06, 08:15 AM
I've recently been in the market for a portable audio player. I wanted something to listen to while at work and when I travel on business. I was looking at iPods, but they were too expensive, and Nanos were too fragile. I found an iRiver 5 GB player on clearance at Target so I decided to try it out. While it certainly looked cool with its color scheme and replaceable battery, I took it back. Windows Media Player absolutely sucks as an interface for synchonization with a portable audio device. Also, turning off the player didn't actually turn it off, but rather put it into hibernation so the battery would wear out faster.

As a result, I went out and bought a Sony Psyc MP3 CD Walkman. Not only did I save $100 over the price of the iRiver, I got a player with an AM/FM tuner so I can listen to my favorite sports talk station when I'm at my desk. No playlists to mess with as I can toss a bunch of MP3s onto a CD in folders, and I'm out less than $0.50 for each disc I burn. For someone with a relatively small MP3 collection (~5 GB) who doesn't need something that must be 100% skip free, sticking with CDs still makes a lot of sense.

On that note, the earbuds that Sony includes with this player are terrible. Can someone recommend a good pair of headphones that won't break the bank? I'm talking $30 or less here.

Riptide
02-20-06, 08:25 AM
And if you really wanted to go retro, original Sony Walkman FTW! :p

superklye
02-20-06, 08:32 AM
I've got these: (even though I despise Sony now, they ARE great headphones):

http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/mdrg57/mdrg57.jpg
Sony MDR-G57

They're comfortable, sound fantastic and are about $25 at Best Buy.

spoop
02-20-06, 11:28 AM
I you can do it, go for the $49 sennheiser px-100's at amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000089GN3/sr=8-1/qid=1140456350/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-6332195-2258510?%5Fencoding=UTF8). I have them and they're great.

saturnotaku
02-20-06, 12:02 PM
Sony MDR-G57

They're comfortable, sound fantastic and are about $25 at Best Buy.

I think I'll go with those. I've always had good luck with Sony headphones. They sound good, are very durable and are reasonably priced. It's not that the earbuds that came with the unit sound bad, it's just that they don't fit in my ears without causing tremendous pain.

I'm going to go out at lunch and pick them them. :)

jeffmd
02-20-06, 06:12 PM
I still miss my Iriver 250 mp3cd player (well, it was sonicblue tagged). I had it for 3 years, and listened to it for hours almost daily (saddly its death was not wear and tear, just droped it 5 to many times). I would have paid more then $100 for a new one, and was prepaired to buy one of the newer ones, but being $170 and failing in 3 areas compared to the 250 ( 1) LCD was not on the player, but inline with the cord, a major PTA. 2) Volume output was lower, the 250 is rather famus for its 20 watts of output. Great for a HQ pair of phones. 3) Batteries were a not so popular gumstick type. I lived off a couple pairs of rechargable AA's wich were easily replaceable and much cheaper then gumstick batteries. ). So I never really got around to buying one, and lived with using my dell pocket pc for a couple years.

However unlike you, I rescently did splurge on a zen vision:M for $340. ^^ Partly as an awsome sounding mp3 player, but also because it will play my movies on the go without recompression (both on the small lcd screen, and via video output wich will playback up to 640x480 resolution). Was hard for me to pass up. ;)

Sazar
02-20-06, 07:06 PM
And if you really wanted to go retro, original Sony Walkman FTW! :p

My dad still has a gramophone :angel:

He can't carry it round but it sounded good back when it was in top condition lol.

keith33
02-20-06, 07:13 PM
I've gone through 4 iPods in the last 3 years, and my Panasonic Shockwave CD Player has been rock solid with the "brain shaker' (OHHHH YE, IT OWNS) for at least 7 years without as much as a peep. Old School Kicks Ass!!!

superklye
02-20-06, 07:52 PM
I think I'll go with those. I've always had good luck with Sony headphones. They sound good, are very durable and are reasonably priced. It's not that the earbuds that came with the unit sound bad, it's just that they don't fit in my ears without causing tremendous pain.

I'm going to go out at lunch and pick them them. :)
Sweet! Let me know what you think of them. I've been incredibly impressed with them. They took about a week for my ears to get used to (the backs of my ears were sore from wearing the headphones so long because of the way they're made and stay on your ears), but since then (almost a year), they've been amazing.

And I really dig the "urban" behind-the-head style instead of over-the-top of traditional headphones.

They've got a really good frequency range, too...16-20,000Hz...most of the other headphones sets I looked at were pathetic. They've also got an Sensitivity of 104dB, which was on the higher end in that price range. And they were $30...I guess I had Reward Certificates or something when I got mine. Either way, I'd gladly pay $30 again for another pair. I love 'em. :)

Nutty
02-21-06, 07:38 AM
You use media player to sync ?
You sync ?

I just drag n drop onto my iriver. I know the newer ones have playlist stuff, but you dont have to use that.

saturnotaku
02-21-06, 07:54 AM
Even still, when I turn off a device I want it to actually be turned off instead of being put in standby.

I'll have to try again today about those headphones. The BB closest to my office didn't have them.

superklye
02-21-06, 08:07 AM
There's a new version of them out, like the MDR-G572 S2 or something...same headphones, they just have a different color scheme or something. They're on Sony's site. I checked them out last night...exactly the same.

Rakeesh
02-21-06, 11:41 AM
Hmm...are those good jogging headphones? I can't use those bud headphones that fit inside of your ear because they always fall out.

superklye
02-21-06, 11:53 AM
Hmm...are those good jogging headphones? I can't use those bud headphones that fit inside of your ear because they always fall out.
I'm not much for jogging, but I DO hit my bike pretty hard and they've been solid for on that. They're pretty snug, so I think they'd be perfect for running, too.

Raisen
02-21-06, 12:18 PM
I bought an Archos G-Mini XS200. It is not very pretty, but it's big (20GB) and works very well. It also fits fine in a shirt pocket. It uses NO syncing software, you just drop the files in its music folder and, if you want to, run a scan in its HD for the new files. but you don't even need to, just open the folder and play.

The battery is a little short on power, though.

$n][pErMan
02-21-06, 03:30 PM
When im not using my phone as an mp3 player... I still use my old sony minidisk MD player :) RW minidisks too.. hold about 36 songs per disk at normal quality. Not bad IMO as I got his thing about 5 years ago...