PDA

View Full Version : HL2 concerned: Ppl with 6800 series card plz read

Xen
02-20-06, 09:04 AM
Just wondering..

Are there any persons here (having a 6800 series card) who are experiencing this as well:

In half-life 2 (not cs:s or dod:s), when I have AF AND AA enabled ( in driver settings as well in-game settings) I see white dots in the shape of lines.. at the edges of some textures in the game.
ALWAYS at the same places -- it aren't many places but they are still there in some.

If I disable AF AND AA, they dissapear.

I don't have any problems in other games..and I am almost confident that this is a software-related issue, and not an issue with my hardware.

Temps are fine, everything latest drivers, etc etc. I have experienced this with every driver-version since the game was released.

( I got a XFX 6800 GT, and I am playing with 2x AA and 2x AF, haven't tried other settings in HL2 )

Any others experiencing the same?

agentkay
02-20-06, 09:25 AM
Make sure both AF and AA are set to application-controlled in Nvidias control panel, and set them ONLY in HL2. If you set them both in the CP and HL2, you are asking for artifacts or other visual anamolies.

But in case you know that already, I donīt think I can help you much because HL2 ran on my 6800 with 16AF and 4AA without any problems. Maybe you can make a screenshot of the problem so that others could check out these spots? And is your card overclocked? If so, try to return it to stock clocks and see if the artifacts disappear.

Xen
02-20-06, 09:39 AM
Make sure both AF and AA are set to application-controlled in Nvidias control panel, and set them ONLY in HL2. If you set them both in the CP and HL2, you are asking for artifacts or other visual anamolies.

Didn't know that..
Even if I configure the driver settings, and the in-game drivers the same way? (Both 2x af and 2x aa)

--
My card is stock.

I should take screenshots..but the thing is: I uninstalled HL2 :)

I am asking this now because I might experience it again in the upcoming expansion.

jolle
02-20-06, 10:00 AM
I think the Ingame AA setting may be a bit "custom", perhaps having some things excluded due to rendering reasons etc..
But generally speaking, if a game HAS AA&AF options, use that instead of FORCED from driver.. and set the driver to Applications Preference, so it takes its que from the game.
and only force AA on games that doesnt have the option.

agentkay
02-20-06, 10:01 AM
Didn't know that..
Even if I configure the driver settings, and the in-game drivers the same way? (Both 2x af and 2x aa)

--
My card is stock.

I should take screenshots..but the thing is: I uninstalled HL2 :)

I am asking this now because I might experience it again in the upcoming expansion.

Yes even if they are set to the same values. The general rule is this.. if a game has a setting for AA, AF "ingame" you need to use these settings, and leave the CP ones to "application-controlled". Now if a games DOESNīT have these settings (or only one of them), then you can use CP ones to force AF and AA with the game. You can get away with it with "some" games if you turn OFF AA/AF ingame, and enable them in the CP.

Iīm very certain now that your issues came from having both enabled, ingame and CP. :)

Xen
02-20-06, 10:12 AM
I think the Ingame AA setting may be a bit "custom", perhaps having some things excluded due to rendering reasons etc..
But generally speaking, if a game HAS AA&AF options, use that instead of FORCED from driver.. and set the driver to Applications Preference, so it takes its que from the game.
and only force AA on games that doesnt have the option.

Yes even if they are set to the same values. The general rule is this.. if a game has a setting for AA, AF "ingame" you need to use these settings, and leave the CP ones to "application-controlled". Now if a games DOESNīT have these settings (or only one of them), then you can use CP ones to force AF and AA with the game. You can get away with it with "some" games if you turn OFF AA/AF ingame, and enable them in the CP.

Iīm very certain now that your issues came from having both enabled, ingame and CP. :)

well ok, I guess that might have been it :]

We'll see if it was when 'episode 1' or 'aftermath' is released..but for now I have my driver-settings on 'application controlled' :)

Thanks for the help.

Gentle
02-20-06, 06:50 PM
Do you notice these "lines" in the dark tunnels when you are driving the buggy?

I have a theory that you are experiencing the long time Nvidia/Half-Life 2 antialiasing issue.

Here is a selection of text from Gabe Newell of Valve about this issue.

"1) How bad is the problem?

With current multi-sample implementations of anti-aliasing, you may sample texels outside of the polygon boundary, which may result in sampling light maps from other polygons.

This has always been a problem. This is a problem with Quake 1, Quake 2, Quake 3, Daikatana, Sin, Elite Force, Half-Life, Counter-Strike on the X-Box, or any game that uses packed lightmaps with multi-sample anti-aliasing.

You would see these artifacts on polygon boundaries where the wrong lightmap is being sampled. It will look like a bright or dark line on the edge of a polygon.

Gary McTaggart brought this up in an email because he is being pretty hardcore about graphics quality right now. This is not a new problem. If you've run a game that uses lightmaps with anti-aliasing turned on, then you've been seeing these artifacts the whole time.

Artifacts may show up more frequently in Half-Life 2 simply because we've eliminated lots of other artifacts, and because we have a lot of variation in scene lighting due to our art direction.

To put this in perspective, not doing tri-linear filtering on mipmaps is a lot worse."

Now... Here's a selection of text from Gary McTaggart from Valve....

"Drivers aren't likely to fix the problem, with the exception of the ATI 9500-9800. There's hope there for being able to use FSAA properly. You are out of luck on NVidia unless either NVidia or us come up with some clever way of solving this problem.
The problem is specifically with multisample antialiasing on any card that uses multisample antialiasing. If you use supersampling you should be fine. Actually, this problem has existed for any game that uses light maps that are packed into a subrect (like Quake 3, etc). You will be able to turn FSAA if you like (in the control panel for your video card), but it's likely to have artifacts on triangle boundaries. We don't recommend turning multisample antialiasing on for cards that don't have centroid sampling. . .your mileage may vary."

So, a possible solution is to use a supersampling antialiasing option. However this causes a pretty hefty reduction in frame rates.

Gentle

P.S. Post a screenshot though... Just to be sure...

|MaguS|
02-20-06, 07:02 PM
There is an Nvidia and HL2 Issue? I know of one that was way back when the 6x00 series first launched that some drivers caused lines but those were a LONG time ago...

Gentle
02-22-06, 11:04 AM
It's still there.

Use multisampling antialiasing and then change to supersampling when you are in a dark tunnel with the buggy.

At least on the 6600GT it is still noticeable.

Gentle