PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a new Dell E1705 laptop

Ghosthunter
02-20-06, 09:31 AM
Inspiron E1705 Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2400 (1.83GHz/667MHz FSB)
Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
LCD Panel 17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display
Memory FREE!1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
Video Card 256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 7800
Hard Drive 60GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
Office Software (not included in Windows XP) No productivity suite- Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) I chose McAfee included with the Starter, Silver, Gold or Platinum Package.
Primary Battery 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Hardware Warranty 4Yr LtdWarr, At-Home,CompleteCare,30Day DOC,PC Training, 2Yr AntivirusSuite
Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Operating System Backup & Recovery PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
Dell Digital Entertainment Starter Entertainment Pack - Basic digital Music, Photo and Game experience

Qty: 1 Unit Price: $2,583.00

after coupons = $1591 + $150 mail in rebate = $1441

Not a bad deal, cant wait to get this delivered going to replace my Inspiron 600m

npras42
02-20-06, 01:07 PM
Hey I just got this a few weeks back... although its called the Inspiron 9400... same thing i'm just in a different region.

I got it with the 2.16GHz Core Duo and 1GB of 667Mhz memory (which was a free upgrade), and the thing is very good. You get the feeling they crippled it by putting in a Go7800 instead of a Go7800GTX, just because they didnt want it to spank their XPS laptop in gaming. The 7800 is severely underclocked too... starts off and 250/698, and I have got it running easily in 3D apps at 360/900. Very cool! (well not that cool but still reasonable :D)

The only things I don't like are:
1) that resolution of the screen (1900x1200) is way too high for a 17". I know this is probably common with laptops nowadays, but everything on the screen is so small! I have increased the icon size and some text size, but web pages will never work well.
2) there is plenty of room on either side of the keyboard to have a full keypad, but there is none. Just seems a waste. Also, it doesnt have keys for opening your web browser and e-mail apps. Seems like a very common and basic thing for anyone who has had these before. My 6 year old gateway 800Mhz has them for goodness sake.
3) the touchpad is not all that big. I don't even think its the same aspect ratio as the screen, which I think from a design p.o.v. is a major flaw. Its bigger and wider than my old laptop, but not big enough.
4) that 60GB HDD (I got 80GB) has about 4-5GB wasted when you first get it with the backup XP files ona seperate hidden partition. I formatted everything and just started from scratch.

For you, I'd say you probably should have paid the little extra (here its only ~£10) for the 9-cell battery. I don't know how much you will use it on battery, but the 6-cell primary battery's life is frighteningly short.

Ghosthunter
02-20-06, 07:43 PM
yeah i got the regualr WXGA screen which is 1440x900 or something like that..i seen the 1900x1200 in a store..and my eyes just cant take it..though it looks superb if you got the eyes

I should have got the better battery...but wasnt thinking..oh well..

cant wait it in testing mode now

Sazar
02-20-06, 08:14 PM
Nice :thumbsup:

Consider getting the battery when you get your rebate or something :)

The 9400 is what it's called on the business/corporate side. The consumer side its called the E-1705.

Enjoy it :) Post some benchies of that card.

npras42
02-21-06, 05:48 AM
Nice :thumbsup:
The 9400 is what it's called on the business/corporate side. The consumer side its called the E-1705.

Yeah I think that is true in the US. But I live in the UK and just got the regular laptop from the Home use section of the dell.co.uk website and its called Inspiron 9400... There isn't any E1705 anywhere.

gmontem
05-06-06, 11:53 AM
What's the response rate on either the XGA+ and the UXGA panel on the E1705? The only gaming I do nowadays is MAME. And does the panel render in 6 or 8-bit color?

abe.allen@gmail
05-06-06, 01:34 PM
I have a dell and I love her. She has been pretty good to me. I hope you got the extended warranty, thats a must.