PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Birthday money??

keith33
02-20-06, 05:05 PM
See the sig for the stuff I have right now, but parents are giving me ~$600 next monday to splurge on anything I want. Being the anti-social forum wh0re that I am, this is going straight to my comp, here are my options (I'm open to other ideas if you have them)

Sell FX-55 and get:

Athlon X2 4800+, FX-60, OR Opteron 185

Con: However, this prevents me from jumping on AM2 this year and that ticks me off lol.

Grab another 7800 GTX for SLI, sell the GTX and get a X1900XTX (or wait a week for the 7900 GTX)

Con: SLI adds a lot of unnecessary heat to my room, I absolutely LOATHE ATI drivers after having an X850 back in the day. And finally, my card will be useless because of DX10, HDCP and all that wonderful BS that M$ and Intel are forcing us into.

Toss in a Raptor 150 X for some additional space

Con: I don't really need it yet, my 2 74s are running strong and I have a lot of space. And I won't "feel" a performance increase.

Well, that's all I can think of right now, but all my stuff is in my sig, so please post any suggestions. Oh btw, I'm getting a Macbook before university next year so no need for laptop yet. Thanks in advance!! :) :)

This is the first time I'm getting "free" money to spend, so I'm kind of excited lol.

slick
02-20-06, 05:17 PM
I'd wait for a while and get the 7900GTX. Everything else in your system pwns already.

hordaktheman
02-20-06, 05:19 PM
Why not just buy yourself a burger and save the rest for a nice hooker? Spending it on your already top of the line computer is just stupid, especially now that Vista is around the corner with all it's unforseeable HDCP quirks.

TheManko
02-20-06, 05:28 PM
Seems like you got the money at the worst possible opportunity then...
It doesn't feel very prudent to burn a bunch of cash on new parts right now when there isn't a new "generation" of various parts to upgrade to. I say put it in a matress for a few months! A hooker and a burger isn't a very good long term investment. I'd buy a bunch of speakers, but that's me.

einstein_314
02-20-06, 06:03 PM
You forgot the option "Give it to einstein_314" :D

On a more serious note...I agree with TheManko, save it for a bit. Talk about the wrong time to get free money. I'd wait for the nvidia product refresh and then see what happens.