PDA

View Full Version : optimus keyboard-any news lately?

Pages : [1] 2

wheeljack12
02-21-06, 06:15 PM
I knew that the initial date for release was feb.1. Anyone heard if it's out for sale yet or if the date was changed?

CaptNKILL
02-21-06, 06:25 PM
As far as I know, that february 1st date turned out to be the release of that little pad with 3 buttons on it. The keys are just like the optimus so I think its like a tester item to see how it handles real world use.

Im not even sure if that thing is available for sale... someone else probably knows.

As far as the optimus, I havent heard anything new.

photophreak314
02-21-06, 06:48 PM
I heard that they needed the money generated from sales of the 3 button mini optimus to finish off the full size keyboard, and are currently looking at a late fall launch -IF they sell enough minis...it was in an article posted a while back.

superklye
02-21-06, 07:10 PM
Where can you even buy those minis and how much did they end up costing?

Sazar
02-22-06, 08:25 AM
They are not going to be cheap.

Last I saw, they were supposed to retail for about $99 or so. Prices could well have changed since then.

saturnotaku
02-22-06, 08:28 AM
I heard that they needed the money generated from sales of the 3 button mini optimus to finish off the full size keyboard, and are currently looking at a late fall launch -IF they sell enough minis...it was in an article posted a while back.

I wasn't planning on getting one, but I just might now. It would be good to support development of the full-size version. But if they don't end up selling enough, the 3-button could become a collector's item. :D

Riptide
02-22-06, 08:31 AM
Pigs will fly when I pay $200 for a keyboard - and that's easily what the optimus will cost when it finally comes out.

If you think about it... it's sort of a gimmick really. So what if you can change the pretty pictures on the keys. How many of you actually LOOK at the keyboard when you play a game and look at the keys you are hitting? See my point...

ENU291
02-22-06, 08:36 AM
So if someone was on the market for the Uber keyboard what would it be?

Riptide
02-22-06, 08:37 AM
I'm thinking about just picking up this cheapy Logitech someone posted about:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823126135

If you think about it, short of gimmicky things like the optimus, what can really be done to make an "uber" keyboard anyway? Keyboards are pretty simple devices. Short of making it more ergonomic, etc.. there isn't a LOT that can be done there. I do like some backlighting but it has to be functional - and the backlighting on the Saiteks is worthless.

superklye
02-22-06, 08:42 AM
I'm thinking about just picking up this cheapy Logitech someone posted about:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823126135

If you think about it, short of gimmicky things like the optimus, what can really be done to make an "uber" keyboard anyway? Keyboards are pretty simple devices. Short of making it more ergonomic, etc.. there isn't a LOT that can be done there. I do like some backlighting but it has to be functional - and the backlighting on the Saiteks is worthless.
:( It's kinda cool...

But I only have the Gamer keyboard. Backlighting aside, this is the nicest keyboard I've ever used. I LOVE how the keys and everything feel...it's perfect as far as I'm concerned. A bit on the pricey side, but I say they're worth it.

And I agree with the Optimus keyboard...it looks cool and all, but there's no way I'm going to pay for one because it IS just a gimmick. A cool one that I could brag about, but a gimmick nonetheless.

I'd rather spend the $200 and get another 2GB of RAM...something with a real use.

ENU291
02-22-06, 08:45 AM
Stay away from that $20 Logitech KB.

Sazar
02-22-06, 08:47 AM
Pigs will fly when I pay $200 for a keyboard - and that's easily what the optimus will cost when it finally comes out.

I dunno. Oled keys sounds kinda kewl :cool:

you KNOW you'll want one when it comes out :D

zoomy942
02-22-06, 08:53 AM
for some reason, this is the nicest keyboard i have ever had. i had a saitek, logitech, and MS... i love this thing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823150005

Riptide
02-22-06, 09:04 AM
I dunno. Oled keys sounds kinda kewl :cool:

you KNOW you'll want one when it comes out :D
It's got bling factor - but very little actual usefulness. So yeah I would probably desire one - but for $200 they can shove it you know where. ;)
But I only have the Gamer keyboard. Backlighting aside, this is the nicest keyboard I've ever used. I LOVE how the keys and everything feel...it's perfect as far as I'm concerned. A bit on the pricey side, but I say they're worth it
I agree about the feel of the keys. I still think it's overpriced - but there can be no denying that it is fairly nice to use. To bad the paint wears off on the keys. My B key is now just a splotch. The eclipse anyway. The gamer may not have those painted keys like that.

Riptide
02-22-06, 09:05 AM
Stay away from that $20 Logitech KB.
Curious. Why?

Sazar
02-22-06, 09:05 AM
Ah, but what if it was $200 canadian?

:cool:

Riptide
02-22-06, 09:08 AM
Oh but you know it won't be. I would bet you $200 right now (American ofcourse) that it will probably retail here for at least $189.

*EDIT* Make that bet you $50. Better not write checks with my mouth that I can't cash. lol

Sazar
02-22-06, 09:13 AM
lol.

I'm pretty happy with my keyboard. I use my saitek at work, my g-15 at home :)

Son Goku
02-22-06, 09:24 AM
Well, this much I can say... For a 3 key promo, I wouldn't pay a dime. As to an actual keyboard, we shall see. My current keyboard is about 6-7 years old, so in general I might be in the market for something useful, which a 3 key keyboard is not...

superklye
02-22-06, 10:00 AM
I agree about the feel of the keys. I still think it's overpriced - but there can be no denying that it is fairly nice to use. To bad the paint wears off on the keys. My B key is now just a splotch. The eclipse anyway. The gamer may not have those painted keys like that.
Well, I've had my Gamer keyboard for about a year (give or take...I can't remember if I got it for Christmas or my birthday [April]) and the keys are painted, I assume, but the paint is as crisp and legible as it was the day I got it.

Sazar
02-22-06, 11:04 AM
The eclipse feels and looks great. But the keys :(

So unfortunate.

Good thing I don't look at em often, but when I do, the faded WASD keys bring tears to my eyes.

ENU291
02-22-06, 11:09 AM
Is it possible for Saitek to send out just replacement keys for the keyboard? My "S" key is nothing but a huge blotch right now. There should be a way of just popping out the key and replacing it with a new one.

Son Goku
02-22-06, 11:19 AM
That would be a good thing for you guys... Keep in mind that this keyboard I got in 1999 dooesn't have any fading, albeit it has finally turned grungy. Probably something not useing PS/2 would be good now, and the lights on the thing for caps lock and what not have died...

Good thing you can both touch type, or finding the right keys might prove problematic when that starts happening :eek:

Riptide
02-22-06, 11:44 AM
Well, I've had my Gamer keyboard for about a year (give or take...I can't remember if I got it for Christmas or my birthday [April]) and the keys are painted, I assume, but the paint is as crisp and legible as it was the day I got it.
I think the Gamer stands up better. The keys are painted differently on the Eclipse and it starts wearing badly within a year or so. Pretty sad for such a (relatively) expensive keyboard.

saturnotaku
02-22-06, 11:55 AM
Logisys FTW!