PDA

View Full Version : Mouse cursor freezing in WinXP with 81.98 WHQL

Torniojaws
02-22-06, 03:58 AM
I've checked all the threads in here and with google, but no fix yet. I also noticed that 95% of the similar cases are on Linux, but mine is on WinXP SP2 32-bit. The threads seemed to be quite old though.

The problem occurs very randomly, no specific program makes it happen. Most of the time it seems to have a little to do with quick spikes in system activity, ie. when starting a bit bigger applications, though it hasn't happened with games (yet :P).

The only way to fix it is to reboot the system completely, but that is very annoying especially when you have downloads going or working on a bigger project.

Has there been a newer beta that officially fixes this issue - not just word of mouth (since this issue seems random), but official confirmation from nvidia that it has been worked on and is fixed? I've so far tried both official 81.98 releases (December & February), and the problem occurs with both releases, and I'm now testing out the newest 83.90 beta - so far, so good, but let's wait a few days before jumping into conclusions.

I also haven't overclocked anything, so it's not related to that, and one site suggested it has to do with VGA temperatures, but according to the sensor my GPU (7800 GT) is at 42 C.

Here's my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Manchester E4 (the new type, basically a single core Manchester)
Asus A8N-E with nForce4 6.70 drivers and latest bios 1010
Club 3D Geforce 7800 GT 256MB VIVO PCI-E
1 GB Kingston HyperX PC3500 @ 2-3-2-7 200 MHz 1:1 (2 x 512)
200 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ATA100
200 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ATA100
120 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ATA100
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI
460W Q-Technology (Not Qtec) (+3.3V @ 40A, +5V @ 45A, +12V1 @ 15A, +12V2 @ 16A)
Pioneer DVR-106D DVD±RW
Cooler Master Centurion 531 with 2 x 120mm CM LED Silent 22 dB 43 CFM
Philips 109S 19" CRT @ 1280 x 960 32-bit 85 Hz
Behringer Truth B2030A
Keytronic KT2000 Black PS/2
Logitech MX300 in PS/2 (using standard Windows drivers, not Mouseware)
Sonera 2 Mbit / 512 kbit
TeleWell TW-EA201
D-Link DI604
Hewlett Packard 3420
Windows XP Professional SP2 32-bit

Thanks for help ;)

heatlesssun
02-22-06, 12:24 PM
I don't think that this is video driver related, just a guess. Have you tried the mouse in USB?

Q
02-22-06, 02:32 PM
I had a very similiar issue, but I wasn't associating it with a driver set. One of my main issues was with WMP where it would freeze while scrolling. Eventually I just formated and havent had any issues since.

Try hitting ESC and WINkey over and over and see if you can get control back. It helped for me, but in all honesty it could be a million things causing a problem like that.

Torniojaws
02-23-06, 12:50 PM
I don't think that this is video driver related, just a guess. Have you tried the mouse in USB?
It is VGA related, and a very common bug too (just in Linux side). My guess is that somehow the new driver has a bug where the mouse cursor overdraw system crashes, and thus the mouse cursor is no longer drawn to the screen (there's where the VGA side of it comes from). The mouse itself still works of course - you can move around and click on things normally. You just can't see the cursor, since the VGA card isn't drawing it as it should.

spesimen
03-09-06, 09:30 PM
i had the exact same problem. this is a fairly common bug, there were a number of threads about it on the warcraft forums as well and pretty much geforce and 81.98 were the culprit in every case. (i found this forum while i was googling to see if there was a beta update or something that fixed it)

i went back to 77ish drivers and the problem was fixed immediately, however i will try the 83.9 betas to see if that helps.

klemay
03-10-06, 09:41 AM
Greetings. I have the same prob with my 7800GS AGP. ALong with the freezing mouse curser, there are times when my sys locks up and eventually gives me the "blue screen of death" telling me that there is a fault with the nv4_disp file that caused my windows to shut down due to an infinite loop. This happens with the drivers that came with the cd, and, the latest drivers on Nvidia's site. I've got the latest chipset drivers, and latest bios from Dell (system is 2 yrs old). I've yet to hear from PNY (card manufacturer); I've emailed them with my prob a few days ago.

WHen it does work, it's a great card....but boy do the hangups get irritating.

jexeneko
03-11-06, 10:22 AM
Just got this problem too (new motherboard, not the same chipset make I am used to, was SIS now VIA) Just installed all the new drivers and such, bios update as well, and the same thing happens, where the cursor itself freezes, but you can still click on things/ the mouse still functions..yet...cursor doesnt move at all..

I tried googling the 77x drivers, but I couldn't find any :/ all the sites that I found that were even slightly close weren't in english and hard to navigate..

Could some one please post where to get these drivers so I can rollback?? ^^
THANKS!! this is getting very annoying ><;;!!

jAkUp
03-11-06, 07:02 PM
The 77.77 will fix your problems.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_77.77.html

However, they don't work on the 7800gs, 6800gs or 7900 cards

Iriis
03-22-06, 02:01 AM
This thread has all been very useful... except to that last post....

I have the problem - but using 7800GS

Any rollbacks that fix it for that?

shpuntik
03-23-06, 12:25 PM
I have 7800GS and also encounter the same problem of mouse freezing but after about 10-20 seconds I gain control.

michealmyers
03-28-06, 07:42 AM
I have the exact same problem. AMD3700 w/ Asus A8N-E SE, via chipset.....mouse cursor/pointer will freeze, mouse still functions, you can left/right click but the pointer stays frozen on the screen. Swapped for another and same prob. Tried PS2 mouse and it froze once also. Pulling my hair out with this one. Previously had XP 64 editon on it and it worked fine, switched to MCE and then started having the problem.

michealmyers
03-29-06, 07:10 AM
Read some posts about the beta driver fixing this problem....so I tried it and all is working good so far.