PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty ads misleading and banned

LiquidX
02-23-06, 01:22 AM
In a decision that may have wide-ranging implications for the way videogames are advertised, a British consumer watchdog group has ruled that Activision's advertisements for its Call of Duty games are "misleading" and ordered them never to be shown in their present form again, according to a report at GamesIndustry.biz.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/690/690617p1.html

This is one ruling against the gaming industry that I agree with. That COD2 ad really irritated me because it had nothing to do with the game and did not even show a second of ingame footage which IMO is way above average and should have been used instead. Too bad this is only for the UK. Sony cannot be happy with this one as I pretty sure they had planned to go all out with the CGI to advertise the PS3.

jAkUp
02-23-06, 01:24 AM
Good, that commercial sucked anyways. lol :D

Superfly
02-23-06, 05:56 AM
Well I live in the UK, that Ad was both crap and misleading.

Im glad its banned and I hope all of Sony's CGI BS gets banned too.

Edge
02-23-06, 01:27 PM
I'm almost surprised it took them so long, they've used CGI renders for the commercials since Finest Hour was released (and possibly even for the original game). Those commercials were pretty misleading...I mean, it's one thing to show cutscenes from the game, it's another to make a CGI rendered video used only for advertising to trick people thinking it's actual gameplay. I rank it up there with Killzone 2 as "best prerendered video passed off as gameplay".

J-Mag
02-23-06, 01:35 PM
I think if you can't differentiate between CGI and what your console can actually render, then you are an idiot and deserve to be disappointed when you buy the game hoping for the graphics shown on the commercials.

Sazar
02-23-06, 02:42 PM
I think the best ones I have recently seen are for F.E.A.R and Black.

MustangSVT
02-23-06, 06:10 PM
The CoD2 ad is a complete joke. It's just a pre-rendered cutscene and has nothing to do with the actual game. Very misleading.

Edge
02-23-06, 07:08 PM
I think if you can't differentiate between CGI and what your console can actually render, then you are an idiot and deserve to be disappointed when you buy the game hoping for the graphics shown on the commercials.

The distinction is becoming harder to differentiate, though. Especially for something like Call of Duty 2: a new game, running on a new engine, getting all kinds of praise for graphics achivement, on a just-released console that sets a new high benchmark for graphics technology. I can certainly see how even informed customers could end up thinking the commercial was captured from game footage.