PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Momo Steering wheel

Pages : [1] 2

Sazar
02-23-06, 10:38 AM
I haven't played a lot of car racing games on my computer so far, typically its on my Xbox but I got NFS:MW for the pc and it rocks :cool:

I am thinking of getting some more rally and touring style racing games and a keyboard is not quite the best input device for this.

I was wondering who all has this setup (or similar/better) and what their impressions are.

I know there is a standard manual shifter, but it looks so ridiculously close to the wheel, does that hamper up/down shifts? I would probably be using the paddle shifter but I would definitely love the option of the stick-shift.

Also, how good are the peddles for responsiveness and are there any options on the market for a similar setup with a clutch?

Is the wheel difficult to attach and remove to a table? And how long does it typically take?

:)

Appreciate any feedback y'all have. Muya is the only one I know who has the momo.

Thanks y'all.

JayK
02-23-06, 11:11 AM
I haven't played a lot of car racing games on my computer so far, typically its on my Xbox but I got NFS:MW for the pc and it rocks :cool:

I am thinking of getting some more rally and touring style racing games and a keyboard is not quite the best input device for this.

I was wondering who all has this setup (or similar/better) and what their impressions are.

I know there is a standard manual shifter, but it looks so ridiculously close to the wheel, does that hamper up/down shifts? I would probably be using the paddle shifter but I would definitely love the option of the stick-shift.

Also, how good are the peddles for responsiveness and are there any options on the market for a similar setup with a clutch?

Is the wheel difficult to attach and remove to a table? And how long does it typically take?

:)

Appreciate any feedback y'all have. Muya is the only one I know who has the momo.

Thanks y'all.

I have this wheel and it is awesome. Set up doesn't take long at all, just one screw and you are good to go. The stick shifter is only up and down shift it's not a "standard H" design. i've had no problems with the pedals or shifter. i think there are one or two "standard H" shifters around but i'm not sure who makes them. also not sure about a pedal setup with a clutch pedal.

Hope that helps. Any other questions just ask.:beer:

PeterJensen
02-23-06, 11:21 AM
I also got the Logitech momo racing wheel setup. I works great and is very solid.
Go for it. You will newer go back once you gone "wheel" :)

Fitting the wheel takes about 1 min. and is really easy. The "stick" shifter works great and is placed really well.

Sazar
02-23-06, 11:26 AM
Appreciate the info :)

How is the software? Is it easy to configure a game like NFS:MW? Like is there a profile or something? And the shifter, are there paddles or do you use the stick?

I thought there were paddles AND a shifter.

Thanks for the info.

msxyz
02-23-06, 11:30 AM
I can get used to anything beyond the keypad. I wasted money on several wheels when I finally realized my limits.

Sure a driving wheel is a nice controller and with forcefeedback it might be a step closer to reality, but any driving videogame still lack the "kinetic" feeling of being pushed by the intertial foreces.

Driving is done as much with the body and the mind as with the eyes, as any experienced pilot can tell you. Yet, when I sit on front of a screen I feel really "blind" because I have to adjust the controls using only sight. I really can get into it, nor I can modulate the wheel/pedals/etc properly. At this rate, I prefer the "on-off" control scheme typical of a keyboard.

And when I want some challenge I pick up my car and go driving on some narrow mountain road and let myself and the car become one thing with the road. It's not a matter of speed or pulling any stunt, it's just the rythm of the engine, the intertial forces shaking the body, the sense of accomplishment of man subduing the machine and not vice-versa.

For me, this is one of the cases where Real life >> videogame :)

ynnek
02-23-06, 11:36 AM
Driver Force Pro is overall the better wheel.. yes, it works for PC even though its touted as a PS2 wheel. Its the new favorite for mass produced wheels in the driving sim world.. Except for those people that still hold tightly to the original momo wheels made out of metal.. (all the ones now are made out of plastic)

Its main drawback is the "paddles" on the wheel.. its more like wide buttons.

900 max degs of motion is awesome. once you use it, you can't go back to max of 200 degs.

Now, the ironic thing is, this wheel may be too good for arcade games.

The last NFS demo I played, had this nasty nasty nasty hardcoded deadzone programmed in the game instead.. You had to swing the wheel far over, then the car suddenly turns.. Why? oh why would they program this nasty deadzone in? Only reason I can think of is

A) programmers know most wheels are horrible, and need the deadzone.. else the calibration will be crazy and nobody would be able to drive straight.

B) most players are going to be wildly swinging the wheel around lock to lock (roughly 200 degs of rotation) anyways, so they gimp the game to be played that way

So if you try to use the DFP in modes over 200 degs (like 400 or 900) coupled with its incredible percision, and drive sanely.. It simply sucks! You might as well play on a controller. This is why alot of the arcade simply don't seem to be any better on a wheel.. Cause they are optimized for hamfisted driving..

There's a whole another word out there on driver controls and upgrades.. we're talking about $600 pedals and $1000 wheels out there.

Sazar
02-23-06, 11:36 AM
Its a lot easier to control a vehicle with a wheel than a keyboard.

I have played with a wheel before and there is a big difference for me. My times improve a fair-bit because of my control.

Tactile feedback is pretty kewl too :D

ynnek
02-23-06, 11:42 AM
well, yea, anything is better than a keyboard.. lol

goto rscnet.org forum for more info on all this.

BTW, I have the DFP.

Son Goku
02-23-06, 11:43 AM
It is true that, while in the car itself there is more then site which one is perceiving. Motion is one of them, and through the wheel (in the car) as well as the gas peddle itself, the car has it's own feel. And this feel varies from vehicle to vehicle. Which is why when I was younger it took me a short time to adapt to driving another car as it "didn't feel the same". Well, different cars also have different limitations in terms of how much pickup or stopping power they have too...

All said though, even though a sim isn't going to capture the actual experience, (short of virtual reality, and perhaps some other queues to our other physical senses), we are used to steering with a wheel, so the keyboard is somewhat of an akward control, based on what we have learned.

What I don't know, is how some doctors for instance can get used to performing surgery, where a micro-probe is used, and they have to look off to the side and at a screen to see what they are doing. Looking somewhere other then where one's hands are working, to see what one is doing seems wholly unatural to me. Even more so then a keyboard would here...

ynnek
02-23-06, 11:47 AM
anyways, my reccommendation is to get the DFP.

the pedals are a relative weakpoint in the logitech setups.. But logitech blows the mass marketed competition away still in that respect anyways. and IMO, ocmpletely demolishes anything else out there for the wheel itself.

You can then get better pedals from small niche markets.. I think the cheapest ones are about $300?? They are made out of metal, adjustable pots, varying resitantnce and up.. From there they can skyrocket in cost. They aren't mass produced, and made by small companies.

Shifters? I'm not sure if people still sell gated shifters anymore. ACT labs used to , a long time ago.. Some place probably makes one, but be prepared to pay hundreds of dollars for it.. plus you have ot make sure the game you want ot use it with is customizable enough to use it.

Delbert
02-23-06, 01:07 PM
I got the Momo Wheel. Yes it has the stick shift & paddles. The stick shift can be moved from left hand side to right. Fits in about 1 min.
Force Feedback is good and can be set to 150%. Plently of buttons for horn, flash, handbrake etc. The effects depend on the game ( rumble, blowout etc ). Pedals are good, but would prefer a strong spring on the brake ( also remeber to getthe patch to stop the pedal settings creeping ). Its comes with a profiler that allows you to set different settings for different games.
Once you get it, go get Live for Speed and you will never look back...

whiskeychaser
02-23-06, 09:40 PM
I use the shifter as my reverse and 1st gear, because the paddles work so much better. Go grab the momo racing, its a great wheel with a "tight" feel. you'll love it!

MustangSVT
02-24-06, 02:37 AM
I also have a Logitech DFP.

http://techtastic.pricenetwork.ca/images/products/prod_1901.jpg
Photo courtesy of TechTastic.ca

It's got 900 degree spin, and you can set it to other rotation degrees, like 450, 360, 720, 540, albeit they're not kinda hard to use, it just has a point where the wheel just turns harder, but it does keep going. As a preset mode, it has 900 degree and 200 degree. I like it cause it works well with the games I play, especially with Live For Speed, and I have a 2nd wheel I can use which has 270 degrees (my older Thrustmaster Ferrari FFB).

Plus I do play Gran Turismo 4 and I like it a lot, and the DFP works awesome with it.

If you don't play GT4 at all, then I suggest going for the Logitech MOMO. It's a good wheel.

The stick shift works well. It's nice to choose from paddle or stick.

BTW, if you're looking for something a lil different too, take a lookie here.

http://us.thrustmaster.com/
http://us.thrustmaster.com/products/big/enz_pc_whe_b.gif
http://www.czechcomputer.cz/czc/products.nsf/v/C0A2A559850AEB2BC125707C0054FF9D/$file/33380s.jpg

ynnek
02-24-06, 03:01 PM
I personally wouldn't waste any money on the Momo, unless the paddels really win you over.. Once you get used to the flexabiliy of motion the DFP has, you won't want to go back.

nV`andrew
02-24-06, 05:27 PM
the original xbox wheel blows penis

rudedog
02-24-06, 06:01 PM
I have a question guys, while I'm kind of looking for a steering wheel /pedal combo for some up and coming PC car/truck sims. I was wondering if I could use the pedals as an additional programmable controller in addition to my keyboard and mouse for other games, say BF2.

What I would like to do is program one of the pedals for my voice comm in BF2. This way it would free up my hands when I wanted to talk. I could also use the other pedal as my jump button or any other button I could use my feet to press.

Just looking to take advantage of this purchase beyond simply playing car sims.

What do you guys think?

john19055
02-24-06, 10:15 PM
If you are wanting a great Wheel and peddals at a decent price$99 ,you can't go wrong with the Logitech MOMO and it has a lot of game profiles and you can mke your own too.It makes you feel like you are playing a different game when you are playing a raceing game with a steering wheel and peddals.

MustangSVT
02-25-06, 12:35 AM
What I would like to do is program one of the pedals for my voice comm in BF2. This way it would free up my hands when I wanted to talk. I could also use the other pedal as my jump button or any other button I could use my feet to press.
I don't think you can do this in any way. As far as I know, in order for the pedals to work, you need to have them connected to the wheel itself in the first place and have the wheel connected to the PC, you can't just connect the pedals to the PC. Other than that, the fact remains that the pedals work as an analog axis, and not as a "button", so I doubt a program like teamspeak or such would recognize it for the push to speak feature when you try to set it to pushing down one of the pedals.

rudedog
02-25-06, 07:47 AM
didn't even think about the analog part, thanks mustang

whiskeychaser
02-25-06, 08:27 AM
I think a game has to enable the wheel when you load it up, otherwise it's not available.

john19055
02-25-06, 08:57 AM
yes you would have to use the steering wheel as the controler in the game you play and if it support the MOMO,you should be able to set the peddals to what you want.

guybo
02-27-06, 02:21 AM
OK, I am into racing sims. I really get into racing sims- especially Rally Racing. I have RBR, CMR4, CRC, RSC 1 & 2, Dakar 2. I am a mad man for this stuff. Below is my setup.

First thing's first- throw away NFSMW. It is the worst game ever made. It is a poor excuse for a racing game and it is a terrible POS. Go out and get a real racing game. Any on my list above are good games. In red are the sims, in brown are the sorta sims. In light brown are the non-sims. Try a bunch and see which you like best.

Richard Burns Rally is not a game, it's an addiction. Since I got into it I know what a real game is. The rest are fun games- CRC is a great game in its own right, but RBR has a particular quality that hooks you in.

The Momo is the way to go for real racing games. CRC and RBR both are optimized for the Momo (RBR is sponsored partially by Logitech and CRC has a special pre-made controller profile especially for the Momo). I know of no other controller that has games made for it.

http://home.maine.rr.com/themoultons/handbrak.jpg
This is my setup. All that is missing is my ignition button, which I mounted after I took this pic. It is in the desk just in front of the handbrake. I am using a Momo for the wheel and gas & brake pedals. I am using a Wingman GT wheel (for the gas pedal only) which is used as a clutch. The Sidewinder Joystick is my analog handbrake. The ignition button is a button hooked up remotely to a PSX gamepad hidden beneath my desk (it actuates the X button).

This is what RBR does to you.

Q
02-27-06, 02:29 AM
Guybo, what you talking bout!?! NFSMW!! A bad racing game!?! It's not the greatest, but its an above average PC racer. It seems like your just really into Rally games. I love rally games too, Xtreme racing for its forgiving arcade nature in particular :D, but I love city racing. That's not a requirement even, but I like games that lean to the arcade style but are not super exagerated.

If they made Gran Turismo for PC I'd be in heaven. And my Momo would never feel neglected.

guybo
02-27-06, 03:44 AM
I was really looking forward to NFSMW. It is a TERRIBLE game by any standard.

-AI Catch up is among the worst I have ever encountered.
-Unstable. I couldn't play for an hour without some sort of glitch or crash
-Police cars literally appear out of nowhere and disappear right before your eyes
-AI racers can have their way with me but I can't touch them?
-grass, dirt, pavement, concrete- what's the difference? They all feel the same, some are just a bit more slippy
-no diff. levels
-AI not only catches up but straight up cheats too
-terrible damage modeling
-damage does affect car performace
-mysterious seams in walls you run close to reach out and grab forcing you to crash
-helicopter that can see under ground & through buildings

the list goes on & on. This is a perfect example of how NOT to make a racing game. This is a horrible, terrible pile of steaming ****. I loved NFSHS- it is one of my favorite games of all times. There just is no excuse for MW. I wipe my ass with it

Sazar
02-27-06, 11:00 AM
MFS:MW is the first racing game I have gotten for the PC in a while. I like a lot of the vehicles and I think the audio reproduction is very accurate. The driving feel is also pretty decent (especially with the STi and EVO).

I prefer Rally Racing and have been into the CM series. I have a few titles for my XBOX but I haven't bought anything new for the XBOX in a while.

I will check out some of the other titles later I think :)