PDA

View Full Version : USB -> PS/2 adapters

Riptide
02-23-06, 01:07 PM
Say you have a backlit keyboard like a Saitek Gamer. And you want to use a PS/2 adapter to hook it up to a PS/2 port instead of the USB port. Would the backlight still work or would this cause problems? Even PS/2 keyboards have to draw some power because the caps lock/numlock/etc. indicators still light up.

Just curious if anyone has ever tried this or not. I have my reasons for wanting to do this (sick of having to turn usb legacy on/off every time I need to go into safe mode or use a boot floppy).

Superfly
02-23-06, 01:15 PM
my money says it would still work ie: still light up.

why do you have to do this though?? - all my USB boards have worked fine in DOS and safe mode....??.

I have PS/2 disabled in the bios - always have.

Riptide
02-23-06, 01:18 PM
You most likely have legacy USB support turned on - which is why they still work when you boot in DOS or safe mode.

Sazar
02-23-06, 01:25 PM
Why not just leave legacy support on?

I had the same issue when I had the saitek at home. I would probably say yes, you can do it but I am not sure if there is sufficient power provided by the ps/2 port.

Riptide
02-23-06, 01:28 PM
Because it's emulation - and why use emulation if you don't have to?

CaptNKILL
02-23-06, 01:36 PM
Because it's emulation - and why use emulation if you don't have to?
Because it works :p

Riptide
02-23-06, 01:39 PM
I'm not 100% sure of this but I swear I've seen having this enabled cause problems with some devices. Typically speed issues where the transfer rate isn't as fast with legacy turned on.

CaptNKILL
02-23-06, 01:46 PM
I'm not 100% sure of this but I swear I've seen having this enabled cause problems with some devices. Typically speed issues where the transfer rate isn't as fast with legacy turned on.
Ah ok. I havent heard of anything like that myself.

I still use a PS2 keyboard myself. I havent really seen a reason for a USB one just yet.

Riptide
02-23-06, 01:50 PM
I still use a PS2 keyboard myself. I havent really seen a reason for a USB one just yet.
Oh I agree. Unless it needs x power to run the backlight and USB is necessary for that. Beyond that it's pointless. Keyboards don't need that sort of bandwidth, not even close. Plus it just chews up another USB port you could be using for a device that actually requires such bandwidth.

Another reason to try and get it going via PS/2.

saturnotaku
02-23-06, 01:51 PM
I have my backlit keyboard hooked up via a USB -> PS2 adapter. Always works perfectly.

Riptide
02-23-06, 01:55 PM
Good to hear. I think I'll give it a try then. Thanks

evilghost
02-23-06, 02:11 PM
I think the Keyboard PS2 port pushes 5V 500ma, I know USB is 5V as well but not sure on amperage, I think it's around 900ma.

Either way, it'll work.