PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 7800 GTX and FS2004

Ludo Lambrechts
02-23-06, 03:41 PM
I have just purchased the GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB (after my huge power surge), and as I re-installed FS9 and finished installing the FS9 patch I went into the sim to see how it looked. To my surprise I saw that the rotating plane in the "aircraft select" screen wasn't there :( .

I then figured out that if I changed my resolution in the game to 800X600X32 that then I got the rotating plane in the "aircraft select" screen. So I came to the conclusion that my resolution couldn't go higher than 800X600X32 or I would lose the rotaing plane in the "aircraft select" screen :( .

I have turned down the AA to 4X on the card and lowered the global terrain mesh as some people had suggested and tried my sim again, is was glad to see the rotating plane at a resolution of 1024X768X32. But then when I enter the game I get a flickering screen :( .

I really need some help here guys, I have tried the latest drivers, older drivers and nothing seems to solve the problem. Or is the Nvidia 7800 GTX just not made for FS9 :( .

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ludo Lambrechts :(

OWA
02-23-06, 04:28 PM
I don't get flickering with the 81.98s or the beta 83.90s (that I just installed last night). I haven't tried checking to see if I get the rotating plane in the menu though. When I play, I usually just select a flight so I haven't spent any time trying to customize a flight, picking my plane, etc. I'll try to check that tonight. BTW, I'm running at 1920x1200, 8xS AA, 16xAF and forcing the SLI AF2 mode (instead of using a single gpu like they default to). FS9 settings are also maxed. I'll try more normal settings as well just to make sure the settings don't make a difference.

Tym
02-23-06, 04:53 PM
Can you specify which drivers you are using? I've had mixed results with some of the recent ForceWares in FS2004, and there was corruption and flickering in game with some of them (prior to 81.98 AFAIR). I am using FW 83.90 now, and FS also worked OK with the 83.40s and 82.12s. No corruption and smooth framerates at 1600x1200, MSAA 4x with SS TAA, AF 16x, all in-game settings maxed out.

The game's menu is actually quite quirky... While it displays the rotating plane OK on my machine (at any resolution), the mouse cursor disappears when I move it over this section of the screen. Have you tried windowed mode (use left Alt + Enter in the menu screen)?

To OWA: I cannot test it at the moment, have you noticed much improvement in framerates with SLI on AFR2? I failed to force the game to run properly using AFR/SFR and I thought it couldn't be done...

OWA
02-23-06, 05:21 PM
To OWA: I cannot test it at the moment, have you noticed much improvement in framerates with SLI on AFR2? I failed to force the game to run properly using AFR/SFR and I thought it couldn't be done...
Heh, I sometimes have the mouse cursor issue also. I've found that if I move my mouse really quickly back and forth, it'll show up. I thought it was because I was forcing SLI to be used but I guess not. Anyway...

Yeah, I had read on several FS boards that it wasn't supposed to work but then I found a few threads where people said it did. So, when I got the 7800 GTX 256s in SLI, I just deleted the predefined tag and started experimenting with it. I found AFR2, at the time, worked pretty well although there was menu corruption (actually, it's around the menu so while annoying, it was still useable).

With the messed up drivers (the ones with the major texture corruption bug), SLI didn't help at all (even if I tried to ignore the corruption, the performance was about the same as the single-GPU mode).

With the drivers that fixed the texture corruption bug, forcing SLI helps but not as much as it did with the the drivers before the texture corruption bug was introduced. I'll have to monitor the framerates more closely tonight to give you actual results. Seems like it doesn't help all that much when taking off but once in the air, it helps more. Could be that it's not helping the mins. I'll post some results here tonight.

OWA
02-23-06, 08:37 PM
I don't get the rotating aircraft either. I'm currently using the 83.90 betas.

Here are some FS9 fraps results but bear in mind, this is a very rough estimate since I just flew the same flight twice but of course, didn't do it exactly the same. In general, it seems like the mins aren't too much different but the max with SLI will jump up higher than the single-gpu. There's not a night and day difference. I have tried any custom settings but out of the main ones, I have to use AFR2. AFR kills performance (teens) and SFR is slower than a single card.

1920x1200, 8xSAA, 16xAF, GAA On, TAA:SS, HQ

fs9 (using AFR2) Avg: 52.803 - Min: 38 - Max: 74

fs9 (using single-gpu) Avg: 37.053 - Min: 25 - Max: 67

The feel of it wasn't as big as what these results seem to indicate though so I don't think SLI is helping much.

Tym
02-24-06, 01:15 PM
Thanks a lot for the information! I should have some time for testing over the weekend, I'll let you know if I get any useful ideas about SLI.

Edit: I've invested in some proper gear and it has just arrived (CH Fighterstick, throttle and pedals), so I expect to do a lot of flying this weekend. I'll keep a close eye on performance.