PDA

View Full Version : Installing ForceWare 81.98 drivers in Windows XP

MtViewGuy
02-23-06, 11:46 PM
I just recently got from my brother an AGP 8x/4x graphics card that uses the nVidia GeForce FX 5200 chipset.

Only one thing though: if I install it in my computer running Windows XP Professional (SP2) it will try to install the Detonator 56.73 driver that comes with Windows XP Professional. How do I completely uninstall the Detonator 56.73 driver so I can safely install the ForceWare 81.98 drivers cleanly? :confused: And is it really true I have to disable antivirus software to do this also? :confused:

j0j081
02-24-06, 12:30 AM
First download Drivercleaner Pro (free) and install. Then uninstall the old drivers and reboot in safe mode. Launch DC Pro and run the Nvidia filter. It will remove any traces of the old driver. Finally reboot again and install the new driver. PS if there are any Nvidia folders on your hdd with copies of old driver in them you may want to delete those first so Windows can't find them.

SLippe
02-24-06, 01:39 AM
Or you can simply install the 81.98 set over the top of the 56.73 set. You need to disable the auto install or update feature when Windows finds new hardware. If possible, I would recommend the Driver Cleaner Pro utility route like j0j081 mentioned.

MtViewGuy
02-24-06, 08:48 AM
(Sheepish look)

One off-topic question: how do I set up Windows XP Pro so I CAN boot into Safe mode? The default installation does not allow a Safe mode boot. :thumbdwn:

saturnotaku
02-24-06, 08:51 AM
One off-topic question: how do I set up Windows XP Pro so I CAN boot into Safe mode? The default installation does not allow a Safe mode boot. :thumbdwn:

:confused:

Does hitting F8 before the Windows loading screen not work?

MtViewGuy
02-24-06, 09:06 AM
:confused:

Does hitting F8 before the Windows loading screen not work?

Sadly, the answer is NO. :(

By the way, one more thing: does the Detonator 56.73 driver that comes with Windows XP support oddball resolution displays through the DVI-D port such as 1280x768 and 1440x900? :confused:

PSYCHODAD
02-24-06, 11:46 AM
(Sheepish look)

Try this: start>run>msconfig>safeboot>apply>reboot.