PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad for the PC to leave its side panel off?

Pages : [1] 2

Capt. Picard
02-24-06, 01:00 AM

TierMann
02-24-06, 01:05 AM
Air is good, but dust, bugs, stray animals, etc, getting in there is bad.

Infinity666
02-24-06, 02:35 AM
depends on the amount of dust in the air if your pc is near a heat source ie fireplace its more likely to get filled with dust. I have left the side of my case(s) off for years

Son Goku
02-24-06, 03:22 AM
A PC getting hot can also be bad, so it depends on the situation. Yeah there are things that could get in there, like a spilled drink that would be bad, but if it's a particularly hot day out, and the A/C isn't working...

On or off, a periodic cleaning with an air compressor can be a good thing however... Even closes, em fans can pull in a lot of dust ;)

DCult
02-24-06, 03:43 AM
I believe a PC with an open side panel is susceptible to EMI (electromagnetic interference). The other way around, I don't know. Are we more exposed to a small amount of radiation with an open case? Someone can search some info perhaps?

Sazar
02-24-06, 03:55 AM
I wonder if Picard is Kain :eek:

Capt. Picard
02-24-06, 04:16 AM
I wonder if Picard is Kain :eek:

Nope. I went and did a quick search on Kain and found in his sig that the dude uses a P4. I wouldn't use an Intel this year.

Son Goku
02-24-06, 05:06 AM
Nope. I went and did a quick search on Kain and found in his sig that the dude uses a P4. I wouldn't use an Intel this year.

Well, the operative question there would be if you like BMWs? :D At least, if that's Kain who I'm thinking about there. I still remember that mention about his ear drums :udawg: He was in fact something else :eek:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27976

Oh, and I created one of em polls someone mentioned too, but with a twist :D

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27985&highlight=Kain

:rofl

Knot3D
02-24-06, 06:54 AM
Lol.

Anyway, panels do have purpose. If the pc gets too hot with the panel mounted, you might have a heat dissipation problem in the first place.

Panels protect alot more against dust than ppl think. Dust is pc killer #1 (or #2 lol)

Son Goku
02-24-06, 12:41 PM
Well it might not be a heat dissipation issue due to the computer itself, so much as current room conditions. Back when I lived on campus, we had to move outa the dorms for the summer and spring break, and then head back in for spring and fall semesters. Thing is, when I got my then PII 333 (upgraded to a PII 400 latter on, on that old system), things were nice and cool in the on-campus apt, and the comp ran well within acceptable temp margins.

However, moving back to the dorm, the fricken dorm room was hot, as the uni didn't seem to be too inclined to turn the A/C on right away, or there was some issue. Mind you, New Mexico can get hot in August (and although last summer was the hottest summer since I moved out here, many days were typically < 100 degrees. 105 or 108 wasn't uncommon then :eek: Other summers, the 90s were more common... Even at 2 to 3 am, the dorm was in the lower 80s, and that was with the window open. I also had to use it to get assignments done... There was no just leaving it off :eek:

Anyhow, without A/C, yeah keeping the comp cool was an issue. That was until the housing officials decided to turn the thing on...

Sun too can be an issue, if one has it situated in a room with a lot of sun. I don't, but I knew some peeps who ran an OEM who mentioned one of their customers ran the thing in a "sun room", with sky lights and all, and lotsa sun beating down on the comp. They ended up telling them to put a room fan by the thing and all, because of the unusual operating condtions...

monly
02-24-06, 04:51 PM
i have had my side panel off for a year and its done wonders for my temps so im pretty happy with it:)may not be the best choice for most people, b ut if your tight for cash to buy new cooling its an idea to try.

Roadhog
02-24-06, 06:26 PM
my pc runs hotter with the side off...

Capt. Picard
02-24-06, 06:35 PM
The reason I asked, and I should have said this, is because I want to know if a side panel fan that extracts air out would be better than taking the side panel off.

Roadhog
02-24-06, 06:46 PM
try it and find out

j0j081
02-25-06, 12:37 AM
I am trying to keep my computer running hot this time of year. It boosts the temp in my bedroom by a couple degrees because parents are cheapskates with the heat lol. D:

Son Goku
02-25-06, 12:57 AM
Well, whether the case is open, or one is using fans, the comp will heat the room. Cooling is just removing the heat from the computer, and dumping it in the room. You're not destroying heat energy itself, just moving it.

If you want to make it put out some more heat, just download one of em distributed computing projects (if you haven't already). It will push your CPU to 100% processing all times (don't worry, the priority is low enough, for it to relinquish CPU time to your programs when you need it), but will prevent the CPU from just looping the idle thread.

You can try folding@home, perhaps joining the folding team for the forums here

http://folding.stanford.edu/

or run something like BOINC

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

and time slice your CPU time between multiple projects you might be interested in, albeit their list there isn't entirely comprehensive on all the projects available to the platform now... Either should get your CPU running a bit hotter :D

Oh, and a fan probably would be ideal, as long as the case has the necessary air holes to allow air movement to take place. Fans won't do much good, if the air flow is obstructed in some way. Also, it's best to run them with consistent air flow, aka if the air flow is front to back for instance, don't then put a fan in the back that blows air in, as it will be fighting against the air flow already established by other fans...

There can be definite needs for one to open up the case though, and inspite of possible dust and what not, it's best to consider the circumstances. On the downside, there's the possibility of something getting in there (aka small children playing around, pets, etc), liquid spills, or if computer components get touched while one isn't grounded/pulled while the system is running. On the other hand, if circumstances require the added cooling for a time, over-heating can kill computers, as has happened when the A/C has died in the server closet for instance...

Oh, and roadhog, that's where a nice giant room fan can come in handy. A good 20 inch fan or even a 12" fan blowing directly into the computer case, and I'm rather certain it wouldn't be hotter :D

jeffmd
02-25-06, 11:20 AM
Having an open case is bad. If you are overheating, then your airflow allready sucks bad, an open case will do little more. Your cpu fan may get access to fresher air, but your motherboard air is getting stagnant with nothing more then a healthy blast of hot air blowing onto it, and same goes for your hard drives. My drives are like hot plates without air flow. If your can can support lots of fans, your half way there. If not, BUY a case that does! atleast 2 in the front, and 2 in the back. A mount on the HD tray for a fan would be super! Next, buy fans. They don't need to be screaming meemies.. infact I found some panaflows, very low noise and CFM, but because I have 3 of them in the front and 2 fans that came with my antex case in the back, it gets awsome airflow and isn't loud in the least (I also modded my heatsinks fans so I can lower its RPMs to just above 2k RPMS).

Nutty
02-25-06, 11:29 AM
Lol.

Anyway, panels do have purpose. If the pc gets too hot with the panel mounted, you might have a heat dissipation problem in the first place.

Panels protect alot more against dust than ppl think. Dust is pc killer #1 (or #2 lol)

But PC's get filled with dust even with the side panel on.

I tried running the motherboard monitor on my ex's pc. Its an old 1Ghz Thunderbird, and was wondering why the cpu was idling at 70 degrees.. I opened it up to find the thickest dust blankets ever.. After it was all cleaned it temp dropped to mid 40's.

Her side panel was on too..

With the side panel off, you can rely less on fans blowing air into your cpu.. Its the fans that cause an accumulation of dust inside the pc.

I leave mine on, cos it looks nicer, and shields some of the internal noise from coming out.

superklye
02-25-06, 11:39 AM
Dust blankets make me want to vomit. I haven't cleaned my case in probably 2 months now, so I'm pretty scared for when I do later today.

I think I'll take it into my roommate's room when he's gone and clean it in there. :D

Mr_LoL
02-25-06, 01:08 PM
Yep i have left mine off for like 6 months now and its got all sorts in there like cigarette ash, coke spill etc.

ynnek
02-25-06, 01:11 PM
Oh, and roadhog, that's where a nice giant room fan can come in handy. A good 20 inch fan or even a 12" fan blowing directly into the computer case, and I'm rather certain it wouldn't be hotter :D

Lol. In the summer time, I need a giant room fan to cool ME off, since this computer warms the room up higher than the rest of the house.. I got central air in my house set at like 74 or so during the summer... but this room feels like its at least 80 after gaming for a bit.. (realtively small room too)

I'm tempted to buy those nifty look tall and skinny supposidly quiet fans for the summer...

Or I guess a cieling fan would work wonders.. but I'm too lazy to try to figure out how to install one (especialyl since there's no wiring or support prebuilt in this room)

Its nice during the cold weather though. :)

Rytr
02-25-06, 01:22 PM
Side panels provide protection also...to keep little fingers out.

My first initial operational check is with the motherboard and components completely out of the case mounted on a motherboard tray. If it posts I then go ahead and install the board and components in the case.

With good efficient airflow the case can actually help keep everything cooler and of course help to keep dust and debris from getting on the board and components.

As far as installing a side fan it is usually better to have the fan blowing in versus blowing out. The extra CFM input can create a positive pressure differential inside the case and help keep extra dust and debris from being sucked into the case through various cracks and crevases as with the condition created by negative pressure in the case.

Knot3D
02-25-06, 02:01 PM
But PC's get filled with dust even with the side panel on.

Both my Antec Sonata and P180 casings have dustfilters which minimize the dust getting sucked in by the fans. Without dustfilters or, the panel off ; dust will accumilate x times faster.

jeffmd
02-25-06, 10:45 PM
Side panels provide protection also...to keep little fingers out.

And out they need to be. I remember working around my new geforce MX2 with its newly mounted ORB fan. Accidently stuck my finger in it, that **** drew blood! It was like a spinning guillotine.

nV`andrew
02-25-06, 11:22 PM
pf man i dust my comptuer once a month or once every 2 months and it is a waste. there is never one little dust molecule or w/e when i open it up and i got dogs and cat here and everything. the fan filter in the front of this case owns. it doesn't block airflow at all and the fan grill catches a lot of it too. i wash it like every 2 months always looks brand new too. lol my dell would be clogged with dust in 2 months and it was in the same place my homebuilt is