PDA

View Full Version : ZOMG! My SEGA Saturn has finally arrived!

GamerGuyX
02-24-06, 03:15 AM
That's right ladies and gentlemen, my absolutely brand new SEGA Saturn console (standard black North American version) has arrived from ebay! Now don't get my wrong, I've owned a Saturn since it first came out but I never took good care of it (I was young okay). Now that I finally got around to buying a brand new Saturn on ebay, I'm going to make it a top priority to keep it in perfect condition like the rest of my consoles.

I also fully plan on buying a Saturn RGB SCART cable and converting the RGB signal to Y-U-V (component video) for the ultimate in picture quality.

Oh and just for those of you that wan't to refesh your memory of the SEGA Saturn, read up about it here: http://www.answers.com/sega%20saturn.

EDIT: Before anyone asks, YES, I am fully planning to replay such greats as Shining Force III, NiGHTS Into Dreams, Virtua Cop I & II, Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Fighting Vipers, Battle Arena Toshinden Remix, House of the Dead, Daytona USA, Saturn Bomberman, Sega Rally Championship, etc.

Mr_LoL
02-24-06, 05:04 AM
Do you have a dreamcast by any chance? I left mine when I left University and someones nicked it. Trying to find one to buy.

H3avyM3tal
02-24-06, 09:02 AM
Oh! I loved the Sega Saturn! Still do actually...

Didn't play much games, but the ones I did are absolutly awesome. I didn't have much time OR chance to get into the Saturn myself, but I loved PDS the best.
Sega Rally was my main game at the time. That and the awesome Daytona USA XD

|MaguS|
02-24-06, 09:10 AM
I have two Sega Saturns, An original Model and Model 2.

nV`andrew
02-24-06, 09:10 AM
i have a sega saturn still :-P

DJMONDY
02-24-06, 09:14 AM
The saturn is a great console. i never had one when they first come out but i bought one about a year ago from ebay and i love it.

I had a load of cool games with it too like die hard arcade, sega rally, alien trilogy a few sonic games and nights into dreams with the 3d controller (boxed and unopened). all great games!

I bought a dreamcast about a 6months after they come out and it is still one of the best consoles ever imo. its still got fantastic graphics and some really cool games.

I miss sega consoles, they were the best!!

1337_Like_ThaT
02-24-06, 10:43 AM
The Sega Dreamcast is one of the most under-rated systems of all time.

The Sega Saturn is an ultimate classic, still have mine here in mint condition, just finished playing House of the Dead and Virtua Cop on it :)

How much didyou pay for that system brand new anyways?! Had to have cost ya a pretty petty .....

de><ta
02-24-06, 12:52 PM
The SEGA saturn had one of the first nvidia cards in it. The card did not support d3d (or ogl) but it still was impressive!

Edge
02-24-06, 01:38 PM
Ahh yes, the Sega Saturn. I just pulled mine out again recently to capture the title music from Shining the Holy Ark. I really did like that system, I don't think I've EVER had a gaming marathon as long as I put into Dragon Force (got home from school one day, started playing it, and didn't stop playing until I had to go to school the next day :D). I still replay Panzer Dragoon Saga every couple years, and for that matter I should go back and play some of the other classics like Shining Force 3 and Burning Rangers again since I have my Saturn hooked up anyway...

I'm amazed my Saturn has worked flawlessly for 10 years now. Granted, I haven't used it much in the last 5 years, but I was still surprised it booted right up and worked just as well today as it did back then. Sadly though, most of my controllers got ruined...anyone have some space first generation controllers they'd be willing to sell (as in the bigger, bulkier ones that were released with the American launch, they look like this (http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/detail/saturn.jpg)).

msxyz
02-24-06, 03:15 PM
The SEGA saturn had one of the first nvidia cards in it. The card did not support d3d (or ogl) but it still was impressive!Err.. no

Both the VDP1 and VDP2 are Sega custom chips developed in-house in 1992-1993. As many early pseudo-3d graphic accelerators of the day, they couldn't work with triangles but only with distorted rectangular sprites

The first NVidia designed chip, the NV1 produced by the italian firm SGS under the name of STG-2000, was a much more advanced multimedia processor. The confusion sometime arises from the fact that said processor could be interfaced to a pair of Saturn controllers and it used polygonal primitives instead of trianlges.

Sega -though- made an hardware accelerated version of Virtua fighter for the STG2000 as result of a cross license agreement that led to the development of the ill fated NV2 (which should have powered the Saturn successor)

It's interesting to note that, in early 1997, Sega nearly caused the extinction of NVidia when they dropped the young and still struggling to survive design bureau in favor of 3dfx. At the time 3dfx was still looking to enter in the arcade/console market and they had a design ready called the "console voodoo graphics" (a successor of the much famed SST-1 Voodoo) waiting for a potential investor. In april 1997 they had some samples ready for Sega and things seemed to progress well until fall when Sega changed again their mind leaving 3dfx in the **** (3dfx sued Sega and won, btw). The "console voodoo graphics" was hastily retouched to be sold as a PC part under the name of Voodoo2 and Sega finally settled for the impressive PowerVR architecture.

raystorm
02-24-06, 04:21 PM
I still love the Sega Saturn!

All the great Capcom and SNK fighters, the Treasure games (Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes and Silhouette Mirage), Soukyogurentai (a great vertical shmup), Cotton 2, Cotton Boomerang, Clockwork Knight 1 and 2, Astal, Shining Force 3 (damn you Sega for not translated the 2nd and 3rd scenarios!), Shining the Holy Ark, the entire Panzer Dragoon series, Mega Man 8 and X4....and many more... whew.. sorry for the run on sentence there!

Like I said..plenty of great games for the Sega Saturn! :D

Tyr-Sog
02-24-06, 07:35 PM
It's all about TurboGrafx 16 (nana2)

GamerGuyX
02-25-06, 01:04 AM
Do you have a dreamcast by any chance?

Yes I actually happened to buy a brand new Dreamcast at the same time as when I bought my SEGA Saturn.

How much didyou pay for that system brand new anyways?! Had to have cost ya a pretty petty .....

I paid $150. Would of been willing to pay thousands if I had to.

Edge
02-25-06, 01:32 AM
I paid $150. Would of been willing to pay thousands if I had to.
Wow, I think I only paid $50 more for mine 10 years ago...

GamerGuyX
02-25-06, 01:35 AM
Wow, I think I only paid $50 more for mine 10 years ago...

Yeah but they were still manufacturing them 10 years ago...

EDIT: Oh and just to let you know, about 10 years ago (when the Saturn was first released) it retailed for $400.

1337_Like_ThaT
02-25-06, 03:12 AM
^^ Good stuff GamerX, now that is a tRue gAmer :)

GamerGuyX
02-25-06, 03:23 AM
^^ Good stuff GamerX, now that is a tRue gAmer :)

I know, I'm obsessed. http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/gamer.gif

Edge
02-25-06, 03:34 AM
EDIT: Oh and just to let you know, about 10 years ago (when the Saturn was first released) it retailed for $400.

Actually, the Saturn was released in mid-1995, and 10 years ago in 1996 it dropped to $200. It was a happy day for me when I saw the Television commercial that advertised the Saturn at it's NEW LOW PRICE of $199 :D

A few months later they even ran a promotion where you got Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, and Daytona USA for free with the console at that price. I believe that's the only time in the Saturn's lifetime when it outsold the Playstation in the same time period.

GamerGuyX
02-25-06, 03:42 AM
Actually, the Saturn was released in mid-1995, and 10 years ago in 1996 it dropped to $200. It was a happy day for me when I saw the Television commercial that advertised the Saturn at it's NEW LOW PRICE of $199 :D

A few months later they even ran a promotion where you got Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, and Daytona USA for free with the console at that price. I believe that's the only time in the Saturn's lifetime when it outsold the Playstation in the same time period.

I should shoot you. http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/packin.gif

Yeah that sounds about right though. If I rememebr correctly, the three games you mentioned that came with the promotion were all in the same game case with a unique cover.

Acid Rain
02-25-06, 07:42 AM
SEGA hardware:drooling: