PDA

View Full Version : What's better: graphics card with or without fan?

SFL
02-24-06, 08:36 AM
Hi,

I am using a Dell Dimension 8300 with a MSI NX6600GT-VTD128 AGP8x. I don't play a lot of games anymore, honestly said, I just play a little bit Guild Wars and the older game "Hitman Contracts". I think I don't really need a 6600GT since I play these 2 games only at medium settings.

Now I am thinking of switching to another nVidia graphics card - I would prefer a card without a fan so that the system is more quiet.

However, I am wondering if a card with a fan is better than a card without fan in terms of cooling the system. If the graphics card has no fan than there are 2 fans left in my system: one for the CPU (there is a sort of "tube" over the CPU leading to the fan at the back of the system) and one for the PSU.

I know, it's a sort of funny question... :D

ENU291
02-24-06, 08:57 AM
If you are not buying a high end video card then noise from your video card is not going to be an issue with or without a fan. Most low to mid-range video cards have very quite cooling solutions. Just remember that a video card with only a heat sink might increase the internal temperature of your case. I suggest you look towards your cpu or case fans and try to find out what would be the best way to lower any noise they are creating. Remember the bigger the fan the slower it has to spin to produce sufficient cooling. Low rpms equal low noise.

jeffmd
02-24-06, 09:58 AM
Most of nvidias 6th and 7th series cards have onboard controlable fans. Most cards should have them set up so that when its not doing 3d graphics, it is spinning much slower and makes very little noise. If it dosn't, there are plenty of programs out there that allow you to set the fan speed manualy. So like..i think the 6600gt is fully controlable.. try one of those?