PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion previews popping everywhere

Pages : [1] 2 3

msxyz
02-25-06, 06:22 AM
Yesterday night the embargo on the previews based on the final game was officially lifted.

The net was soon after flooded with preveiws and several new screenshots/movies taken from the final game.

Voodoo Extreme:
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/691/691326p1.html

GamingTrend:
http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=5025

TeamXbox preview:
http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1282/The-Elder-Scrolls-IV-Oblivion/p1/

GamePlasma:
http://www.gameplasma.com/previews,id,750,previewid,192.html

GameSpot:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/theelderscrollsivoblivion/news.html?sid=6144925

IGN (One for PC, one for Xbox) :
http://pc.ign.com/articles/691/691594p1.html
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/691/691449p1.html

Gamingnexus:
http://www.gamingnexus.com/Default.aspx?Section=Article&I=1008

It's interesting to note that certain previews state that the PC version looks slightly better (ie IGN)

brady
02-25-06, 07:48 AM
It's interesting to note that certain previews state that the PC version looks slightly better (ie IGN)

I hope that doesn't shock anyone.

Acid Rain
02-25-06, 08:04 AM
Didn't BethdasA sell out to M$$$ and dumb down teh graph horse for teh conzol???

Alzo, I taught teh pixxellox mapping wuz removed doo 2 mainstreaming!!??? :confused::lol:

PaiN
02-25-06, 08:13 AM
From reading the previews, my quess is the ES:O is about 3-4 months out from release..... with the graphics still requiring "optimizing" I don't see the game going gold in time for the "3/20" date.

agentkay
02-25-06, 08:35 AM
From reading the previews, my quess is the ES:O is about 3-4 months out from release..... with the graphics still requiring "optimizing" I don't see the game going gold in time for the "3/20" date.

If it doesn´t go gold within the first week of March, then yes, it won´t make that date.

msxyz
02-25-06, 12:25 PM
I hope that doesn't shock anyone.
Go say that on Teamxbox forums :D

A Bethesda game without some bugs wouldn't be a Bethesda game. ;)

Tork64
02-25-06, 12:49 PM

Oh not only IGN :)

While I didn’t personally take the PC version of the game for a spin, from what I saw of other players testing it out, it looked significantly cleaner, smoother and more vibrant than the Xbox 360 version. While it seemed that the 360 version was plagued by some aliasing issues, the PC version looked much sharper and smoother. For instance, weapons that sheen in the 360 version have this fuzzy glow around them while the in the PC version the weapons look more pleasing to the eye, in my opinion.

http://www.gamersmark.com/articles/187/

Oh and transcript from the pete hines video interview

From a performance standpoint, the 360 and a high end PC that has one of the latest greatest video cards ATI 1900, they'l play about the same performance wise. Visually it will look about the same, PC obviously comes with a whole lot of sliders and option and tweaks, so that you can change draw distance, or what shadows are on and off, all kinds of things that let you coustomise your performance, so that no only does it allow you to coustomise your level of performance now but, as technology develops as new card come out, that are even more powerfull you can slide those things out and throw your draw distance even further or turn even more options on the PC and customise the experience even further.

jolle
02-25-06, 12:50 PM
A Bethesda game without some bugs wouldn't be a Bethesda game. ;)
hehe yeah, games on this scale without a single bug cant possibly be programmed by humans.

brady
02-25-06, 01:17 PM
Go say that on Teamxbox forums :D

My favorite threads over at teamxbox and xbox.com are the ones that go something like this "xbox 360 can produce movie quality CG graphics!!" ect ect. Very funny reads.

Acid Rain
02-25-06, 03:09 PM
My favorite threads over at teamxbox and xbox.com are the ones that go something like this "xbox 360 can produce movie quality CG graphics!!" ect ect. Very funny reads.Oh, but it can!!!! Haven't you ever seen FMV, dude?? ;)

gravioli
02-25-06, 09:13 PM
So which version offers the overall better experience? Tough to decide based on these comments. What's up with the last two comments from Gamespot and IGN? They sound like conflicting statements.

Voodoo Extreme:

The video settings were set at a modest 1280x768 and anti-aliasing was turned off. There were some occasional stutters, and I could (albeit on rare occasions) see some stitching lines between textures. Performance seemed pretty similar for this machine as it was for the Xbox 360s running Oblivion on the other side of the room.

GamingTrend:

The PC definitely looked better to me, however, it did suffer from periodic “pauses”. I couldn’t narrow it down to any one thing. They were annoying, especially in combat, but not game breaking. I didn’t notice any slow downs on the 360, but that’s to be expected, since they only have to optimize for a specific hardware. Hopefully, they can optimize the PC some more, otherwise, many may have to turn down the graphics. When it wasn’t pausing, it ran perfectly fine on the PC.

Gamespot:

Both versions of the game ran fairly smooth, though we did notice that the Xbox 360 version seemed to have a slightly faster pace than the PC version.

IGN:

The PC version looked slightly sharper and ran at a better clip than the Xbox 360

jAkUp
02-25-06, 09:37 PM
I guess that means they looked fairly similar :)

CaptNKILL
02-25-06, 10:16 PM
Heh, I knew they wouldnt screw PC users over... with all these previews, the game will probably be going gold in the next couple weeks.

Cant wait :D

jAkUp
02-26-06, 12:25 AM
Hey guys, I am hearing that the XB360 version does not have soft-shadows? Is this correct?

diable
02-26-06, 01:29 AM
Correct. Soft shadows were removed for both versions.

slick
02-26-06, 01:33 AM
To my understand, soft shadows are still in, but dynamic soft shadows were removed.

Acid Rain
02-26-06, 02:15 AM
To my understand, soft shadows are still in, but dynamic soft shadows were removed.I cannot believe how many wrong impressions such a simple thing has created.

Quite simple, object shadows, as in HAVOC physicalized objects (but not character shadows) were removed due to horrendous performance.

Imagine you've created a massive fireball spell with explosive properties and you lob it out into town, detonating it near 97 objects. With HAVOC, they all go flying.

Now picture dynamic, stretching soft shadows for each object, the physics calculations, the rest of the scene still being rendered and the fireball spell effect itself with all these objects flying all over the place. Suddenly your system would be under an absolutely tremendous load, just because you lobbed a quick fireball.

So, depending on where you were and what you were doing, performance would at times be very spotty, and you wouldn't always know why. The game would just seem buggy and ill optimized.

But yeah, the ONLY change we know about is that object shadows have been removed. The only place you've ever seen anything which is now gone is the very beginning of jail cell E3 movie. Done.

msxyz
02-26-06, 04:16 AM
The PC version will probably be best because of... moddability.

Morrowind is still alive after nearly 4 years only due to modding and quite a few of the user mods have surpassed by far the quality of the original game.

agentkay
02-26-06, 08:37 AM
Quite simple, object shadows, as in HAVOC physicalized objects (but not character shadows) were removed due to horrendous performance.

Houses don´t cast shadows either. IMO its a shame that they didn´t at least keep the shadows for them, with a decent LOD system you´d see at most 10 shadows at the same time. Since the game has a day/night cycle, it would have been truely beautiful to see how the shadows of the houses move as the time passes by.

Acid Rain
02-26-06, 08:43 AM
Houses don´t cast shadows either. IMO its a shame that they didn´t at least keep the shadows for them, with a decent LOD system you´d see at most 10 shadows at the same time. Since the game has a day/night cycle, it would have been truely beautiful to see how the shadows of the houses move as the time passes by.They were never said to. It would be very cool, though.

msxyz
02-27-06, 05:33 PM
Another (quite embarassing) preview : http://blog.wired.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1422030

Framerate and draw distance will suck like in Morrowind ?

Belarnion
02-27-06, 05:55 PM
I guess some graphical tweaking, 2gigs of RAM and 7800GTX (or better) in Sli would lessen the problems quite a bit.
From what I read I don't think I'll put my paws on the 360 version anyways.

Time to buy some RAM. :D

CaptNKILL
02-27-06, 06:08 PM
Another (quite embarassing) preview : http://blog.wired.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1422030

Framerate and draw distance will suck like in Morrowind ?
Bleh... I hope the draw distance can be modified (either in game or in .ini files). I noticed the grass drawing in in some of the videos.

It doesnt sound like this was the right person to be reviewing this game anyway. He doesnt sound all that interested in the game at all.

Why is this the only preview we have seen so far where anyone complained about the framerate and draw distance?

I guess its good to see it from the perspective of someone who actually dislikes the game, but it is kind of strange that one very very short and relatively empty preview (from a blog site) is the only one to actually complain about the performance and draw distance.

Of course he only really mentions the x360 version, so maybe its just a performance problem on that version? Still doesnt fit with the other previews though...

EDIT: He says he only played the Xbox 360 version. So the draw distance issues may be limited to the console version. The PC has options to change this. Thats how it was with Morrowind.

agentkay
02-27-06, 06:49 PM
So, will the game be delayed or not due to the performance issues? I´m not really worried about the performance issues on the PC, after all MW was almost unplayable on the highest settings on the average PCs back when it first came out, but the console version can´t be patched as often as the PC version and it needs to have a certain stable performance level. Since both versions are released at the same time, I´m kind of smelling a delay in the air. Whats your take on this?

GamerGuyX
02-27-06, 07:02 PM
So, will the game be delayed or not due to the performance issues? I´m not really worried about the performance issues on the PC, after all MW was almost unplayable on the highest settings on the average PCs back when it first came out, but the console version can´t be patched as often as the PC version and it needs to have a certain stable performance level. Since both versions are released at the same time, I´m kind of smelling a delay in the air. Whats your take on this?

The game was already delayed for performance reasons. It was done and ready last December but needed to be further optimized.