PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion Combat video OMG!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Zelda_fan
02-25-06, 12:31 PM
http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/2938/Gameplay-Collage/

I feel that this deserved it's own post. My favorite is the sword that sets enemies on fire and blows them away. This game is gonna be freaken sweet!

|MaguS|
02-25-06, 02:19 PM
Combat looks decent, far better then marrowinds. Still disappointed that the graphics had to be lowered by such a large degree... but ohwell.

Knot3D
02-25-06, 02:24 PM
But that's a video from the Xbox360 version, right ? And some of those previews said the PC version looks a tad better...

jolle
02-25-06, 02:41 PM
But that's a video from the Xbox360 version, right ? And some of those previews said the PC version looks a tad better...
Yeah but by the sound of it they seemed to refer to resolution, AA and color, neither of which are on the content side of things..
Still looks good, but its a bit of a shame the old shadow system wasnt left in as optional, even if they didnt manage to tweak it to playability, future setups could perhaps manage it, or very high end rigs today..

But I spose that would lead to them getting alot of heat for "making a game that requires a super computer" to play... somehow you always loose in some situations hehe

Knot3D
02-25-06, 02:52 PM
The previews state the test pc was a Dell 3.4 Ghz (Intel) plus a X1900 (not specified wether XT or XTX).

I see some said it felt a little more fluid than the Xbox360 version, others
say the Xbox360 was running at a faster pace ( huh ? ).

Still kind of hard to gauge performance.

Fotis
02-25-06, 03:12 PM
The previews state the test pc was a Dell 3.4 Ghz (Intel) plus a X1900 (not specified wether XT or XTX).

It says here (http://www.gamingtrend.com/Articles/articles.php?artID=130&pg=2) that they used an X1900XL 512MB card.Don't know if the XL part is a typo or they got prerelease X1900XL cards.

CaptNKILL
02-25-06, 04:12 PM
It says here (http://www.gamingtrend.com/Articles/articles.php?artID=130&pg=2) that they used an X1900XL 512MB card.Don't know if the XL part is a typo or they got prerelease X1900XL cards.
Thats a damned good preview! :)

I just downloaded the combat video, didnt watch it yet.

Arioch
02-25-06, 05:01 PM
No way my 6800 Ultra is gonna run the game at decent frame rates and look nearly as good as on the X1900 they tested on - looks like I will have to get the 360 version for now and get the PC version at the end of the year when I get a new computer so I can enjoy future mods on it.

Acid Rain
02-25-06, 05:16 PM
Combat looks decent, far better then marrowinds. Still disappointed that the graphics had to be lowered by such a large degree... but ohwell.Yeah, the removal of one thing which was never present in ANY screen shots really bites the big one, doesn't it?

Oh well, I geuss I'll have to pass on this one. :rolleyes:

CaptNKILL
02-25-06, 05:32 PM
Wow, awesome video! The combat looks fantastic. A lot better than I thought it would... and dozens of times better than Morrowind.

I really like the character shadows too. Looks like Morrowind's only not glitchy and much much much more detailed. If its similar to Morrowind's system, we can probably tweak them with .ini files. I remember changing the ones in MW so that each NPC\monster could have 4-5 shadows, rather than one. When there were a lot of torches or lamps around it looked sweet. Ran like crap though :p

Zelda_fan
02-26-06, 01:39 AM
Combat looks decent, far better then marrowinds. Still disappointed that the graphics had to be lowered by such a large degree... but ohwell.

if you don't think the graphics in that video were good, then I don't know what else to say. The graphics were fantastic.

jAkUp
02-26-06, 02:07 AM

I heard that they were x1800xl cards.

Edge
02-26-06, 03:02 AM
if you don't think the graphics in that video were good, then I don't know what else to say. The graphics were fantastic.

Eh, in this day and age they're pretty lacking. The lighting system is honestly terrible, the shadows look almost like they're from MDK2. Hell, it doesn't even look up to Unreal 2 quality in that regard. It really does look like an upgraded Morrowind, which is pretty disappointing for a game released 4 years later. The outdoor environments are nice, but indoors and characters are pretty blah. I really do hope they give you the option for increasing the number of shadows that can be cast at once, the character shadows sure were twisting around a lot as they adjusted to new lightsources.

As far as the combat goes...eh, it's improved over Morrowind, but still looks a little quirky. I'm glad they got rid of the "random hit chance" thing and actually have a decent blocking system now, but the melee combat system really does seem a bit too stiff. But hopefully the role playing aspect of it will make up for any shortcomings in other areas of the game.

Acid Rain
02-26-06, 03:58 AM
The outdoor environments are nice, but indoors and characters are pretty blah. Based on which muddy, lo-res video? Also, new shots floating around everywhere show that characters look quite good as well.

Edge
02-26-06, 05:02 AM
Based on which muddy, lo-res video?

The one posted in this thread. Although that's not terribly low resolution since it's at 720x480 (I'd say that's medium resolution if anything). But the earlier 20 minute video that was availible was only 640x400, and it still looks substantially better than this video. Resolution alone can't make something better if the basic graphics don't match up. Indoors seem to be a bit of hit-and miss now: natural areas like caves and stuff aren't too bad (although the lack of real-time shadowing does hurt them when they're in motion), but houses and dungeons just look bland. The walls and floors just look plain and lack depth most of the time, even Doom 3's looked better than that much of the time.

But at least that's one aspect that graphic mods could probably improve. It shouldn't be TERRIBLY hard to add some higher quality textures and more profound bumpmapping.

Acid Rain
02-26-06, 05:22 AM
It shouldn't be TERRIBLY hard to add some higher quality textures and more profound bumpmapping.I don't understand why the parallax mapping isn't enough. Why go back to bumpmapping when we've got new and better techniques? Oh well, to each his own.

No depth? Click on the thumbnail then look at the picture and set it to full size if need be. It looks a lot better, when you do this, trust me.:D

Look at the lower left and tell me that mapping sucks. This isn't exactly the best example, but it still shows quite clearly the depth which it supposedly lacks.

I have yet to see a PC game that uses parallax mapping better (or at all, in pretty much every last case) than in Oblivion's interiors. Definitely to your credit though, is that modders can and probably will enhance the already great (IMO) maps.

Brimstone7
02-26-06, 05:36 AM
Like everyone else I was a little freaked out when I heard about the whole "shadows" thing but these new videos definately put me at ease. The game still looks great. The only exception I can find is the water, which is kind of ironic since Morrowind's water was so advanced for its time. Also, in the IGN interview, did I hear wrong or did the developer say that real-time shadows can be turned on for other objects, only the "soft shadows" feature was ripped out?

agentkay
02-26-06, 08:45 AM
No only characters have dynamic soft-shadows, every other object, let it be a coin or a house, doesn´t have any shadows. MAYBE when the SDK will be out, modders will be able to ADD shadows maps to other objects, but thats a big "maybe".

Fotis
02-26-06, 08:46 AM
I heard that they were x1800xl cards.
I hope you're right cause if it takes an X1900 card to play Oblivion with full effects I'll have to replace my 7800GT.(throwpc)

agentkay
02-26-06, 08:56 AM
I hope you're right cause If it takes an X1900 card to play Oblivion with full effects I'll have to replace my 7800GT(throwpc)

Do you remember that preview from January? They played the game with a 7800GT and at 1280x1024, and it ran well all maxed out. I´m sure you won´t have many issues to play that the final version with your 7800GT. ;)

IMO, there must have been something wrong with the ATI drivers or computers, because if they ran it at 1280x768 no AA (probably higher AF setting than the X360), and they got some random freezes on a 2GB machine, it just seems that something wasn´t perfectly working. The build code is one thing, but the ATI drivers could be another, or some issue with the PC.

CaptNKILL
02-26-06, 12:49 PM
MAYBE when the SDK will be out, modders will be able to ADD shadows maps to other objects, but thats a big "maybe".
As far as I know, there is no SDK for this game. They give you the construction kit to make plugins, but they like to keep their code intact. People still did quite a bit with Morrowind without a real SDK, but still, they dont allow you to start recoding the game into something else.

-=DVS=-
02-26-06, 12:55 PM
Holy Cow i want i want :eek: , that looked so much fun :D Physics woot !

slick
02-26-06, 01:09 PM
I'm still a little depressed that the overall texture quality had to go down. I though it looked phenominal in early screen shots, but they keep getting worse and worse as more come out, which is not to say that they don't look great, just not as great.

jAkUp
02-26-06, 01:17 PM
Yea, it still looks good... but not quite as good from the inital PCGamer screenies. It looked incredible int that.

The combat video looked nice, however, the swordfighting part, looked kinda awkard. The guy walked backward like he was on roller skates... it just looked weird. Other than that it was cool.

CaptNKILL
02-26-06, 01:21 PM
The guy walked backward like he was on roller skates... it just looked weird. Other than that it was cool.
Yeah I noticed that in the early videos, I was a bit disapointed that they didnt fix it yet, but I think I'll be able to live with it. The way the swords clang against the shields and armor is just awesome. :)