PDA

View Full Version : BF2 textures or graphics stretch across screen

-eK-LostSoul
02-26-06, 04:30 PM
I have a BFG 6800GT OC 256MB card. Here is a screen dump with the lines originating from I think the plants on the ground.
I have played around with the different detail settings in BF2, but nothing seems to help. Anyone else ran into this problem and found a fix?

Ady
02-26-06, 05:18 PM
Your card is over heating. Do you have it overclocked? Clock it a bit slower/do what you can to cool it down, then the problem will go away.

snowmanwithahat
02-26-06, 05:21 PM
this is scary.... it looks like alot of 6800 GT's have been having problems recently.... i hope it's not a trend, i don't have the cash to upgrade my system if mine went bad

theslug
02-26-06, 08:37 PM
I've had that problem in World of Warcraft..it's rare but has happened before. I also have the BFG 6800GT. I've used rivatuner to monitor temps and it seems to occur in the upper 70s. (Some people say that's too hot, some say it's ok). What temps are you getting?

-eK-LostSoul
02-26-06, 10:49 PM
I don't have it overclocked. The temp shows 53 C for the GPU core and 35 C for the ambient. Do you really think it is a temperature issue?
thanks for the help guys!

theslug
02-26-06, 11:16 PM
It almost certainly is a temperature issue but we need to see how hot it is getting under load. The best way is to download RivaTuner and use the hardware monitoring feature so it records temps while you play. When the artifacting occurs again, switch back to your desktop and see what temperature it got up to on the graph.

Note that just using the nvidia control panel alone to check the temps is not sufficient because by the time you open it, the temps may have gone down several degrees. Actively monitoring the temp while you're playing is the best way.

$n][pErMan
02-27-06, 12:17 AM
I think its your drivers... trying updating to the newest set or some of the solid betas our there. I used to have that myself in BF2... but not for a long time now.

Ady
02-27-06, 05:45 AM
I don't have it overclocked. The temp shows 53 C for the GPU core and 35 C for the ambient. Do you really think it is a temperature issue?
thanks for the help guys!

Well overcloack a card too far and you will get errors like that every time. It is most likely the RAm on the card overheating rather than the GPU. Just as a test. Downclock the core and RAM a little. See if the problem goes away.

snowmanwithahat
02-27-06, 06:12 AM
i doubt it's temperatures.... before i got my zalman vf-700 heatsink for this my temperatures used to hit 84 C under load at stock speeds, and when overclocked to 400/1100 it would peak around 89 C..... that i'd consider too hot, that's exactly why i bought this heatsink

Remus
02-27-06, 07:31 AM
I have a BFG 6800GT OC 256MB card. Here is a screen dump with the lines originating from I think the plants on the ground.
I have played around with the different detail settings in BF2, but nothing seems to help. Anyone else ran into this problem and found a fix?

I have the same problem with my x800GTO2 card. Thought it was an issue with heat but my card runs fairly cool and exhibits this problem at stock speeds. Not sure if you noticed, but it seems to only occur with certain texture maps.

AlexL
03-02-06, 03:31 PM
I have played around with the different detail settings in BF2, but nothing seems to help. Anyone else ran into this problem and found a fix?I have a similar problem. Example is here:
http://www.geocities.com/alexl1118/Battlefield-2_Graphics_problem_01.jpg
The screen goes into random triangles and lines (which are probably sort of thin triangles). This happens in various games, not only in BF2. E.g., I had it with DDO, but I as far as I understood the EULA of the Beta, I can't post images. Also in other games. Reboot of the computer always helps, but for several hours, or minutes, or seconds - depends on a scene.

In addition, in DDO I had very hard black flickering (I think it is described in http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63542 and http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65665). In such cases FPS goes to 0.

Regarding BIOS of the graphics card - I can't find any update. The site of Leadtek shows two BIOS-s for my A6600 GT TDH card (one for VIVO, and other for HDTV version), but trying to burn them leads to error message from NvFlash, such as:
Firmware image Board ID (4327) does not match adapter Board ID (431E)
because my card is nor VIVO, neither HDTV. I tried to download various BIOS-s from Leadtek FTP site, but none of them has 431E signature. So I only succeeded to read and reburn my current BIOS.

Is there a possibility to try BF2 in OpenGL mode?

Graphics card: GForce 6600 GT TDH from Leadtek.
Motherboard: MSI 645 Ultra (MS-6547)
CPU: Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz.
Windows XP Pro SP2.
DirectX is updated; same for graphics drivers from NVidia site; and same for motherboard chipset driver; and same for motherboard BIOS.
No overclocking (nor for motherboard, neither for the graphics card).
Max temp is ~65C. Maybe 70C. I checked all fans, and even added two more (near the back wall of the case, and near the hard disks - in the past they were suffering from overheating).

Thank you.

-eK-LostSoul
03-03-06, 12:59 AM
Ok, I downloaded RivaTuner and as soon as I saw the "stretching" graphics I Alt-Tab to see what temp, it was 67. I played for several hours and that is the highest it ever got. I quickly drops temp when I Alt-Tab, but you can also scroll the grid to see the temp. I really don't think this is a temperature issue. Could it be my monitor or power supply?
The nvidia drivers are 81.98 and have done several previous updates. I have had this card for over a year. All previous patches had the same results so I am not sure if that is the issue.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

betterdan
03-03-06, 01:11 AM
One of the 6800 GTs we had would do this when playing Halo. The vehicles and characters would just sprout spikes sometimes. I lowered the clocks and it fixed it.

-eK-LostSoul
03-04-06, 11:05 AM
I am sure this is a dumb question, but how do I lower the clocks?

betterdan
03-04-06, 11:13 AM
Get NV Tweak or use the coolbits registry entry to enable over clocking then go into display properties and along with the usual Nvidia settings pages you will see a new overclock page. Just lower the memory and core clocks on that page a little and see if this helps.