PDA

View Full Version : Dns

seeker
02-26-06, 06:42 PM
This is one of those questions that I do not where to post, because it doesn't really fit any of the forums, but here it is. I'm on a dialup internet connection, and the DNS server has been giving me fits. The connection to the gateway server is fine, but the DNS comes and goes, which means that sometimes I just have to wait. In the connections options, there is room for an alternate DNS server's IP. Can I set this to some server that has nothing to do with my ISPs connection. If so, where would I find a listing of numbers for them?

superklye
02-26-06, 06:47 PM
Was DNA a typo or am I missing something...?

seeker
02-26-06, 07:34 PM
Yep, typo. Edited.

evilghost
02-26-06, 08:04 PM
If you're on the Linux box ensure /etc/resolv.conf is pointed to a good nameserver, you could also install a DNS server of your own [with caching support] and enable ROOT Hint lookups. You could also enable zone-forwarding to your ISP's nameservers.

seeker
02-27-06, 05:54 AM
I'm on a dual boot, SuSe and XP. Right now, I'm in XP, so I can't check the file that you mentioned, but will. However, I use Kinternet, which displays the DNS that I set for my ISP, so I would guess that the file would be the same. As far as your last two options, I have no idea of what you mean, maybe I can find some kind of HowTo or manual, I don't know. Your statements makes it sound as though I cannot simply insert the IP to just any DNS, but the only reason that I asked this question, is that somewhere in the SuSe documentation, I thought that I read something about using a SuSe DNS. I may well have misunderstood, but that is what I would prefer, if possible, because inserting another number in the settings would only take seconds, instead of, I don't know how much time, to research something more complicated. However, if you could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

Peoples-Agent
02-27-06, 07:21 AM
I think alot of ISPs offer alternative DNS address' to help troubleshoot problems, some are better than others too.
Surely, the automatic DNS look up should do the trick though, something most likely server side going wrong if your having probs.

I would send them an email and ask for a list of alternatives you can punch in.

evilghost
02-27-06, 09:26 AM
I'm on a dual boot, SuSe and XP. Right now, I'm in XP, so I can't check the file that you mentioned, but will. However, I use Kinternet, which displays the DNS that I set for my ISP, so I would guess that the file would be the same. As far as your last two options, I have no idea of what you mean, maybe I can find some kind of HowTo or manual, I don't know. Your statements makes it sound as though I cannot simply insert the IP to just any DNS, but the only reason that I asked this question, is that somewhere in the SuSe documentation, I thought that I read something about using a SuSe DNS. I may well have misunderstood, but that is what I would prefer, if possible, because inserting another number in the settings would only take seconds, instead of, I don't know how much time, to research something more complicated. However, if you could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html

I think SuSe has a YAST/YUM build of dnsmasq. I don't know to be honest, I use Ubuntu w/apt-get/synaptic.

mullet
02-27-06, 09:51 AM
The DNS where I live sux's as well so I statically assign the DNS. I use
Verison's which hauls butt, 4.2.2.1 4.2.2.2 4.2.2.6.

seeker
02-27-06, 11:31 AM
The DNS where I live sux's as well so I statically assign the DNS. I use
Verison's which hauls butt, 4.2.2.1 4.2.2.2 4.2.2.6.
Thanks, I'll give them a try.

seeker
02-27-06, 11:33 AM
http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html

I think SuSe has a YAST/YUM build of dnsmasq. I don't know to be honest, I use Ubuntu w/apt-get/synaptic.
Thanks, I'll check this out, when I get time.

seeker
02-27-06, 03:24 PM
I tried the Verizon DNS numbers, and they were working great for a while, but then I started having the same problem with the DNS server not being found. I have a feeling that the problem is either with the ISP itself, or my modem, because I can switch OSs, browsers, etc. and nothing necessarily helps, until it just starts working again.

tieros
02-27-06, 03:55 PM
Are you sure it's a DNS issue as opposed to a general network problem? Since the call to resolve the DNS entry is the first thing "out the door", a hop being down somewhere in your ISP can appear to be a failed DNS lookup.

I usually fire off a ping or a tracert -d to my externally hosted servers using their IP address to see if it's a connectivity issue vs. DNS.

Before I multiplexed my cable and DSL connections, I used to run a caching DNS server on my home DMZ. I'm not sure if running one would help you, but it may be worth a try.

SLippe
02-27-06, 06:43 PM
Yeah, Cox has several different DNS servers.

Rakeesh
02-27-06, 08:21 PM
Sometimes cox's DNS servers are quite unreliable though.